Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
purist

Progressive Fiction (Hadephobia now on /idgames)

Thanks for the notes

purist said:

32.3 - I know you're still balancing monsters but I will still say that the are you are warped in to start with is a bit too hitscan heavy before you get chance to find any cover. If you're unlucky you can lose most your health in a few seconds.

I agree, although I originally gave the player a soulsphere right at the start which made that part easier. I think I really took it to heart when you mentioned "obstacle course." I found the chaingunners to be the most annoying in recent test runs.

32.6 - Is it possible to survive the part where you teleport into an area completely surrounded by barrels? I was on God Mode by this point.

Hehehe...yes it is. At first even I would take damage every time I blew up the barrels (sometimes dying), but then I realized if you stand on the left wall and shoot the farther barrels you will be unscathed.

Also, like above I included a megasphere to start :P AND there is an invulnerability sphere within close range of the spot you teleport in to. So I guess you had the right idea!

32.2/32.8 - Hell? I take it the hole in the floor represents the end of the map?

No, it's just supposed to be the end of that section. I'm constructing a third section which is full-on hell. It's a typical, and exaggerated, Doom progression: Blue, yellow, and red.

magicsofa said:

It's a typical, and exaggerated, Doom progression: Blue, yellow, and red.

Someone should balance my fetishism of always leaving the blue key for the last one :D it's a phenomenon on almost all of my maps :D

OK, magicsofa, just don't forget the section that repeats the exit to MAP16 from my MAP15. I'm only stressing the point as it took a few versions before Truedude got it right in MAP31.

NoneeLlama, can you post a changelog? I actually double checked the file to make sure it was new as I didn't notice many differences even to the parts I suggested needed to be fixed. I'll post my notes on the previous version with new comments below:

Prev version: can't decide whether I miss the chaingunners in the first altar attack or not! Sorry to be contrary, for all the annoyance of being stripped to 0% health in a panic when you can't see where they were shooting from, it did add an edge. Gah, I think a second opinion is needed here.

New version: Actually, I noticed they are back now and I've decided I prefer them being there. It can be annoying if you're getting wasted by a chaingunner you can't see but it's good fun hunting them down.

Prev version: The baron/HK fight in the Eastern annex doesn't work for me because they never got out of the room and I could just rocket them through the door way. They either need better access or replacing.

New version: This hasn't changed. The other problem it makes is you can fill up with ammo and camp down there from the monsters in the altar and use it as a chokepoint.

Prev version: The communication equipment looks better but is still not epic enough in my opinion. If you don't mind I'll try building something because it should really be the centre piece of the map.

New version: doesn't seem to have changed but I remember saying I would see if I can do any better so I'll have a go at that.

Prev version: The lava annex didn't play as well as I remembered. It's a pain to kill anything from range without freelook due to the distance/height difference. The issue I remember with the HK fight hasn't really been resolved either. It's a bit luck based depending on the proximity of the HK's to you whether you handle the fight comfortable or get torn to shreds. One thing about the area that definitely needs changing is the jumping sequence. The last jump is too far for comfort and I can see it driving some players mad.

New version: Hitting the monsters at range without mouselook is still a problem but I can live with it. The HK's are also still a bit too close for comfort but if you have a PR at hand it's doable. I didn't have problems with jumping this time so that's good. The PE's should definitely go in my opinion because the area is too big and it's impossible to get in close.

Prev version: Ran into the same issue with AV's as in the previous version. The fight would be really cool in the altar room but both times I've played, it happens in the annex because they run to you.

New version: AV's still move out of altar area before you get there unless you're really quick. One even got me in the lift back up! I can see how this is an awkward part to get working. If you don't mind I'll see if I can find a pleasing solution myself.

One extra point is that the start area has a HOM and anyway needs changing to match the new MAP17 exit.

Here's my demo. Let me know what you think of my points. I know you don't have access to your laptop at the moment so I will try to fix the suggestions myself. I'd appreciate someone else playing and adding their own opinion.

Cell said:

[...], but I didn't mention the little detail that I need someone to compose a music for it. The name (Pride of the Descent) and the appearance should both count, but more the latter, if you don't know of a perfectly fitting music.

Nah, no feedbacks on this? I would ask Jimmy91 or PRIMEVAL if they would do it so...

Cell said:

Nah, no feedbacks on this? I would ask Jimmy91 or PRIMEVAL if they would do it so...

Got ya covered, brother.

PRIMEVAL said:

Got ya covered, brother.

When is it likely to happen?

I've made a few changes to NoneeLlama's MAP18.

1. I changed the start area to match the new exit room of MAP17.

2. In the Western annex of the altar room I widened the two doorways that lead to the switch rooms to make it harder to use them as a choke point and also added a two doors leading to ledges around one of the switch areas to help with this also. You probably can still use the areas as chokepoints but now it at least doesn't encourage you to do so.

3. I removed the PE from the lava cavern area on the Eastern annex, replacing it with just a LS. It was hard to hit the PE from range without mouselook and there was a danger of the place filling up with lost souls before you can dispatch them.

4. I've built a small room attached to the altar room for the AVs to teleport into. The door from the room opens/waits/closes on a walkover trigger when you walk back into the alter room. This way you can take as long as you like returning to the altar room without the AVs rezzing everything until you get there.

5. I've made slight changes to the communication equipment visually.

Here's my version. Let me know what you think, particulary NoneeLlama. If nobody finds any issues with this version it joins MAP17 and MAP26 in progfic.wad.

purist said:

I've made a few changes to NoneeLlama's MAP18.

1. I changed the start area to match the new exit room of MAP17.

2. In the Western annex of the altar room I widened the two doorways that lead to the switch rooms to make it harder to use them as a choke point and also added a two doors leading to ledges around one of the switch areas to help with this also. You probably can still use the areas as chokepoints but now it at least doesn't encourage you to do so.

3. I removed the PE from the lava cavern area on the Eastern annex, replacing it with just a LS. It was hard to hit the PE from range without mouselook and there was a danger of the place filling up with lost souls before you can dispatch them.

4. I've built a small room attached to the altar room for the AVs to teleport into. The door from the room opens/waits/closes on a walkover trigger when you walk back into the alter room. This way you can take as long as you like returning to the altar room without the AVs rezzing everything until you get there.

5. I've made slight changes to the communication equipment visually.

Here's my version. Let me know what you think, particulary NoneeLlama. If nobody finds any issues with this version it joins MAP17 and MAP26 in progfic.wad.

I like the changes you made (except for some minor things), especially what you did with the arch-viles' teleport. I'll change the map a bit for the last time tomorrow (just so the textures/detailing match), after that I think it will be ready to go into the megawad.

EDIT: Oops, posted at the same time as you...

Would you be able to write a quick changelog so I can see your changes without looking through the whole map? That rod was supposed to represent an antennea, by the way. So it can be identified as the communication equipment.

I'm worried about A.Gamma's MAP24. I don't feel like trawling through the last few pages of the thread but I'm certain at some point he said he was almost finished, though looking at his profile he's not even posted since the 3rd of September. I'm starting to think I'll need another mapper to take that slot. It's not an immediate issue but it's something I need to decide on at some point.

purist said:

Now I think of it, I think I might have left a couple of doortracks unpegged. While you're in the editor would you mind double checking them on the new doors for me?

Just checked it, there were. I already uploaded the fixed one in my previous post.

I've had a quick look at your update. Other than the arial and the door pegging the only thing I noticed was the texture change to wood on the ledges I made. Anyway, everything looks fine to me so I say, let's stick it in the megawad. Upload to follow in a few days.

I've uploaded the latest version of progfic.wad. Link [here]. Changes to the previous version include the addition of MAP17, MAP18, MAP26, new CWILV graphics and an updated dehacked file.

Only MAP24 (A.Gamma), MAP30 (Melon) and MAP32 (magicsofa) are outstanding from the first full beta now.

I've tried and I have to say: AMAZING! Amazing maps, amazing MIDIs, the whole stuff is just GREAT!

I think we'll win Cacowards definitely in this year.

Katamori said:

I've tried and I have to say: AMAZING! Amazing maps, amazing MIDIs, the whole stuff is just GREAT!

I think we'll win Cacowards definitely in this year.

I wouldn't say that for sure... but indeed, we did great so far.

Anyways, the changelogs of my maps are excepted for a recent time.

Hey.

I haven't been checking for a long time, and I'm glad that it is near the end. Keep it up, almost there!

I'm looking forward to the new MAP25 when it's ready Grain of Salt.

I've not seen any version of MAP24, just start your map however you like and the MAP24 exit will have to fit around it. I really hope A.Gamma shows up with something because his MAP10 was so good - but it's looking more and more likely that I will need a new mapper for that slot.

I just got down to making vital changes to MAP02, but I seriously don't know how to write a changelog. Anyone help?

I thought a changelog pretty much just involved listing the changes you've made - that's all I'd do. If you need to be specific you could refer to line and sector numbers instead of describing areas. I liked MAP02 how it was but I'm looking forward to see your changes. Are you revisiting all your progfic maps?

purist said:

I liked MAP02 how it was but I'm looking forward to see your changes. Are you revisiting all your progfic maps?

Course I do. And before you would praise MAP02 up into Heavens, I'll say that in the final curve I've done something that Esselfortium would definitely "honour" with "misaligning me!"

magicsofa said:

I'm not dead yet

Glad to hear that! How is MAP32?

Cell said:

Glad to hear that! How is MAP32?

It's coming along. I'm working on the final section - it's going to be a break from hordes of monsters by throwing the player into a burning pit of lava from which they must escape by hopping between ASHWALL islands!

NO sr-40 or sr-50 required, however :D

The story sounds neat, but what does this mean?:

magicsofa said:

NO sr-40 or sr-50 required, however :D

Anyways, links of da changelogs are likely to be edited into this post.

Those are strafe-running techniques. Running forward + strafing makes you go a little faster than running forward, and forward+strafe+turning+mouse strafing or something stupid is even faster. I'm gonna make sure people do not have to do those

Yeah, I've heard that sprint + strafe at 45 degrees can overjump an abyss with 191 mappixels of width with no height variation between the two strands.