Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Relic

Favourite Demo that you've ever seen

What is your favourite demo you've ever watched official or non-official wads. Just you're favourite demo from any category.

I'd like to hear from you guys :)

Comparing TAS demos with non-TAS runs is generally unfair, except when an assisted record gets beaten without assistance, or when someone releases a TAS demo which is slower than the non-TAS record :-) So I'll describe my preferences separately for both genres.

My favorite TAS is probably Jongo's 30HR1631, an ultra-fast run through my favorite megawad. Though Heretic's 30MM2707, Entryway's E4UV-232, Akse's P2DQ1153 etc are about equally impressive/optimized. I also was greatly excited with Cameron Prosser's HF24-359, HN22-115, HN22P123. Same for Andy Olivera's later TAS maxes, like ET11-539 or ET12-913. Even though I checked with savestates that Andy's ET12 time could be 9:12 if sneaking past the spider corpse without delay :-)

I have hundreds of favorites among humanly demos, both by old legends (Vile, Anders, AdamH&W, Ocelot, Vince etc) and new heroes (ToD, Okuplok, Kimo, Qaatar, Paska, Rizera, Ancalagon etc). Also worth mentioning is Vile's return in late 2010 (when he became stronger than ever). I can't mention all the top players and top demos, but my personal most favorite is Qaatar's DD16-418 -- just download and enjoy. It's the very demo that motivated me to continue improving my keyboarding skills and strategic knowledge, and to start producing demos which are stronger than my poor old records done before the second half of 2011 :-) Today I don't find that DD16-418 SO hard to beat by more than a few seconds (unlike 11 months ago), but still consider it to be an outstandingly smart, very seriously polished run.

Favourite Non TAS demos would probably be SAV88's MM228-957 and some of the 2002ado stuff which makes my maxes look like a pile of crap :P
Also add some of Anders and Vile's maxes and also Ancalogon's recent max of map02 of deus vult which was outstanding. Though I would say I'm not the most educated in great demos as I've only been here since the middle of last year.
Aske's TAS speedrun of plutonia 2 was also very good to watch to see how far it can be pushed down when the blight of human error is removed from speedrunning. Also Andy's recent TAS demos of eternal doom and darkening episode 2 have also been a pleasure to watch :)

Thanks for the appreciation, Cannonball! M228-957 and A3D4-355 are exactly my favorites of all my demos that are already finished at the moment :-)

As for my half-assed A3D7-659, it looks like a pile of crap compared to what can be done if working on that run for more than just 2 days. And Vile can take it back.

Okuplok's su06 is by far the best demo I've ever seen. Also ToD's eternal maxes deserve much more love, those maps are incredibly max-unfriendly.

vile's trolling in lv11-205 beats everything in my eyes. my fav TAS is akse's sii5-349 for the sheer absurdity of the runs.

Favourite run ever is just too big a question to think about, so I'll just give my favourite TAS: Cameron Prosser doing e4m6 on -fast in 3:46, Tyson Grandmaster style, and only using fists except for the one enemy that absolutely must be killed with the pistol (and it's not the Cyberdemon). The stylishness, the novel jumps and unconventional use of level architecture, the commitment to making things as artificially hard as possible, it's everything a TAS demo should be.

When I think about the beauty of Doom speedrunning the first thing coming into my mind is ALWAYS Sedlo's lv24-036 (the no-trick demo in lv24-024.zip). So this must be my favourite demo of all time :)

But when I think about speedruns in general (sorry for getting off-topic) ... nothing comes close to Thomas Stubgaard's Quake demos. Pure art and pure delight. Too bad that Quake speedrunning almost died (at least two QDQ projects were finished recently).

And my favourite non-FPS speedruns are probably Liderharen's Warcraft 3 runs on SDA.

Ryback that is one hell of an awesome demo!

Also, Angus. Did you know that Sedlo's lv24-036 has actually been beaten recently. Very big surprise to me. It was beaten by Looper in 0:35. Insane, he changed the route a little bit and was enough to make this insane run even more insane.

my favourite speedrun outside doom is m1's system shock 2 run on sda. so many lovely tricks and exploits, but without breaking the game too much like half-life runs.

Memfis said:

Probably Qaatar's Beluga max.

It's one of my favorites as well, though not nearly as balanced/optimized as Qaatar's DD16-418, and below 5:30 is indeed very possible. You certainly can beat 5:57 with enough work :-)

Seeing my name being mentioned in this thread literally made me blush. I'm very honored. :)

My favorite is definitely Adam Hegyi's av31-633.zip.

I don't think the demo itself is particularly optimized, nor is it close to Adam's best work. Honestly, I can't name a single concrete reason, but if I were to guess, it would probably be a mixture of:

- nostalgia

- admiration of Adam's smooth control, especially the fluidity of his play in this particular demo

- my general worship of Adam

- the music of the level (which has nothing to do with the demo itself, but it gives more texture and flavor to the viewing experience).

SAV88 said:

It's one of my favorites as well, though not nearly as balanced/optimized as Qaatar's DD16-418, and below 5:30 is indeed very possible. You certainly can beat 5:57 with enough work :-)

thanks for mentioning DD16-418. i downloaded it, and my first thought was: "hm, this map isn't that hard"... but then i noticed how consistently he proceeded to kill everything with an efficiency reminding of an assisted demo, barely firing a shot more than necessary (the cyber at the end being the only exception). absolutely remarkable.

Qaatar said:

My favorite is definitely Adam Hegyi's av31-633.zip.

I don't think the demo itself is particularly optimized, nor is it close to Adam's best work. Honestly, I can't name a single concrete reason, but if I were to guess, it would probably be a mixture of:

- nostalgia

- admiration of Adam's smooth control, especially the fluidity of his play in this particular demo

i said somewhere that i prefer watching demos without additional smoothing to see the player's original movement, and adam had indeed very fluent movement, efficient and worth seeing at the same time. too bad he left the doom scene completely.

Favorite demos:

30NM2956 From Vile
0711NM01 From Ocelot
E4NM0554 From ...Vile.

To sum it up, demos from the most elegant players like Sedlo, Hi Jango or Vile make me happy.

Relic said:Also, Angus. Did you know that Sedlo's lv24-036 has actually been beaten recently. Very big surprise to me. It was beaten by Looper in 0:35. Insane, he changed the route a little bit and was enough to make this insane run even more insane. [/B]

Where is this demo? I saw lv24-032, is he using sr50 for to get those times?

There is no lv24-035 yet, only a 35s nomo. Possibly he is referring to 33-32s ones.

stx-Vile all the way for non tas demos! ive been a fan of his work ever since i began speedrunning in late 2010.

as for tool assisted demos i cant decide between Akse's p2dq1153 or Jongo's 30pl1337 demo. however, i didnt like the way akse did pl2 map06... i have a tas demo of that map in 15 s.

also the demo im attaching here is also extremely cool and deserves some recognition. the main two reasons why is because 1) i didnt use the green armor for the rocket jump, and 2) the way i exited :) play back with prboom-plus with plutonia 2.

p214x042.zip

Odysseyofnoises said: also the demo im attaching here is also extremely cool

Yea, you put a lot of work into that TAS demo. It's awesome :)