Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TimeOfDeath

Slaughterfest 2012 - NEW Final Final Version is up

FDA for castlelava. Dies a bit, doesn't complete. Fun with bridges. :)

Two nitpicks:
- with the number of archviles, it's fairly easy to get thrown off the map. Having a way back to the main area would be nice.
- near the end it's fairly easy to screw yourself with ammo if you don't know what's coming or can't handle it. More rockets or even SSG+shells could give a fighting chance to lesser players without changing much if at all for BFG gods.

Nice, you fought until the very end. :)

- for getting thrown off, I kinda wanted it to be similar to an insta-death trap, but this time if you get thrown off you just have to run all the way back up the stairs again.
- I put the rocket launchers there for the revs on top of the throne building, but your method of bfg'ing them might be faster. I'll def put ssg and hella shells right at the start.

First playable version of my first map. Requires cc4-tex simply because doom2 didn't have all the textures I wanted to fit the theme.

EDIT: IS PRBOOM COMPATIBLE. I took the screenshot in gzdoom because it was easier.

Download - Shore of Hell

Rayzik said:

Shore of Hell

Great map! I really liked it. That's pretty much all I have to say gameplay wise.

What concerns me a bit is that it will be quite annoying to kill all monsters, as with boom compatibility monsters will fall off edges or become stuck on them. Cyb that appears on island after taking BK is almost surely going to fall in lava after taking a bfg shot or two and become really annoying to kill after. Make sure to set block lines around such spots.

fda for red death. Already sent my feedback to dh, but I'll say that the chaingunner fight felt really luck-based, and the sm + pe bit sucked. Sooooo much room for lost souls to spawn. Oh and there needs to be an image macro for "128-wide hallways with cybers? F no".

Oh and there needs to be an image macro for "128-wide hallways with cybers? F no".

I know which map I'd use to take a screenshot from. :)

I've tried to pinpoint my reluctance with the infinite ammo BFG in the previous thread, and, apart from having it coming midway rather than at start (which isn't a problem here), to an extent I think it's because of the possibility someone plays through the maps without pistol starting.

Exiting a map with 200/200 and the normal BFG to start the next map that is supposed to begin with 100/0 and gradually ramp up might imbalance things some, but only up until the player took enough damage and spent his 600 cells. On the other hand, an infinite ammo BFG has, well, infinite ammo, so any map with one will affect every following map without one, if any. The map ordering I proposed for SF2011 wasn't exactly innocent in that aspect, as the infinite BFG maps ended up taking the last spots.

What am I getting at exactly? I'm OK with an infinite ammo BFG. If we have one, I think we should strongly consider putting the infinite BFG maps last when ordering maps. While continuous play isn't intended, knowing this is going to be a reality for some people regardless I believe it makes sense to limit the amount of imbalance that can result from it.

That's a good point, I never thought of that. Putting infinite ammo bfg maps at the end sounds like a good idea. The first pic I posted in this thread uses the inf bfg and maybe GRbacon might wanna use it for his megamap?

I'll post the inf bfg wad in the first post once my ftp problems are sorted.

You could just force death exit to unarm player if it's necessary.

Also DH, would you mind posting your megamap in current state? I think gameplay balancing & tweaks would be a lot easier while the map is in progress.

FDA for Red Death. Few deaths, completes.

I really liked this one. Simple concept but played well enough, at least to me.

Some concerns and thoughts, in no particular order:
- aesthetics were lacking. There's plain, and then there's "tower of candles on black background". ;)
- a megasphere or at least soulsphere would have been nice right after the teleport to the 128px wide corridors.
- the invul sphere trivialized the end fight. A megasphere instead would be better, or keep the invul and double (perhaps triple, even) the amount of monsters in that fight.
- the exit was hard to spot. It could use an exit sign or some kind of obvious visual clue. I had to check the automap to find it.

You could just force death exit to unarm player if it's necessary.

That's a good point. It seems easier to rearrange map slots (simple matter of moving lumps) than adding in death exits (map change that would desync demos, requires everyone making an infinite BFG map to do so himself), but that's something to keep in mind if the map ordering doesn't work out.

It would mean more work now but it would give us more flexibility with map order later on. Such a rule might make sense, assuming everyone is on board.

Sure! I was kinda expecting it to be the final map tho since it's gonna probably be the map with the most monsters ever to grace a map so far :)

EDIT: I think a death exit on the final map would be cool as it would leave it open for 2k13.

FDA for NGTribute. Several deaths, no exit.

I also liked that one, but... It could use some rebalancing.

First off, AB hasn't been known to teleport the player in a HK horde with spider mastermind up top and cybies shooting from the back, as far as I know. :)

Invul secret or not, this is overkill. At the very least I'd suggest making anything face away, so the player has time to get a handle on the surroundings, but to me there is too many monsters regardless. With foreknowledge it's not hard to see how to game this fight, but I don't think it'll be very fun regardless. If it were me, I'd remove the masterminds, push linedef 1094 and 1099 east until it's on the same axis as linedef 1097, and swap spots between playertpdist+ammo and the part of the HK horde on the right, basically ending up with all the monsters in front of the player and a bit more room to maneuver.

There's two revenants stuck in the void near the red key.

Edit: heh. My bad! ;)

I've been talking to AB on Steam and the teleport into horribleness trap was his idea. But yeah, i'm still working on this map, there will be several more versions and there are two other maps i'm working on for 2k12, the mega crazy holy god why are there so many monsters one, and another one. I've already rebalanced the crazy gray marble room fight, and i'm extending the map so that the exit now takes you somewhere.

Slaughtenstein 27/01. Requires extended nodes (PrBoom+ 2.5.0.7 or above).

The layout is complete, but very little playtesting (close to none in the later parts). No difficulty implemented other than UV yet.

I actually used SF2011tex as a base and added a few textures in it with SlumpEd/Slade3 as needed, then I took a look at what textures I used and added everything to the wad itself.

PrBoom+ doesn't seem to like multiple texture wads loaded at once, and if there's a way around that I don't know what it is.