Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
skogsto09

No Rest For The Living Demos [-complevel 2]

Just started playing nrftl myself (I've never had such an easy time getting UV100 on the first play-through in a WAD), and I'm just past the secret map (BTW the secret exit acts as a normal exit unless the maps are rearranged 12-19&31).
These demos work for me in prboom and your speedruns are pretty impressive. I'd already tried your technique on MAP04 a few times with less desirable results...of course I was aiming for the secret exit instead of the regular exit.
Not a huge fan of the file hosting method, you might think about recording these and posting on YouTube. I thought that this forum hosted demo files; did you try using the "attach file" feature?

Well here's a secret exit run of map4. If you're going the secret route I'd suggest picking up the shells at the beginning, you need the extra ammo for all the shit that gets in your way towards the end. The way these can be improved is if you can manage to get on the ssg ledge and go from there, but it's a pain in the ass to do. I guess you could skip the ssg bump but you'd basically have a squirt gun to work with.

It's a pain in the ass to get a low time on map09 aswell, you have to be very precise handling the switches, as you can see in my first playthrough i fucked that up alot. It can be improved with precise switch handling, and if you got the skill you can sr50 over the gate and not even bother with hitting the switch but this can be pretty hard to do.

So the only way to get the secret exit to work for vanilla doom is to just move the maps? what about a mapinfo lump? I don't have much editing experience so excuse my ignorance.

nr04s-121.zip

snut skallar said:
So the only way to get the secret exit to work for vanilla doom is to just move the maps?

Yeah, the secret exit is hard coded to work properly only on levels 15 and 31. Other than moving the levels to 12-19 and 31, so that 4 becomes 15, the only other solution is hacking the binaries, but that would also require engines like PrBoom+ to add that behavior as an exception in the code.

So indeed, for a movie, it's best to "move" the levels by renaming them. It's easy to do that with XWE or the like, by simply renaming the level markers accordingly.

Ok, I hope no one considers this bumping, as this is (to my judgment) the most appropriate place to upload this demo.

No Rest For The Living
Map 8 - Tomb Of Malevolence by Richard Heath
UV-MAX in 2:06

nr08-206.zip

I managed to get the first map down The Earth Base to :37 seconds (though my computer was lagging like all when I recorded it for youtube). I was playing in Prboom+ but I was not, (at least to my own knowledge) using always strafe 50 or any other major modifications to the game play. Attached below!

nrftl map01 kudo.zip

Wow, it's been almost a year since someone has posted here... But anyways, finally beat Henning Skogsto's record.

Map one done UV-MAX in 4:34

nr01-434.zip

Archy said:

Wow, it's been almost a year since someone has posted here... But anyways, finally beat Henning Skogsto's record.

Yay :), I remember it beeing a messy map...always someone sneaking around.
I can never imagine that I managed to work out a decent route ...did u experiement with other routes/tactics? ....and better weapon usage could always save some time as well. Any of those not beeing any strongpoint for me in doom.

Archy said:

haha. i love doing that, punch the barrels so they fly into their face.

skogsto09 said:

Yay :), I remember it beeing a messy map...always someone sneaking around.
I can never imagine that I managed to work out a decent route ...did u experiement with other routes/tactics? ....and better weapon usage could always save some time as well. Any of those not beeing any strongpoint for me in doom.

Lol, you should read my txt file if you haven't. But anyways, I messed around with a few alternative routs but none seemed better than yours.

Also, DooMer 4ever, you won't get away with this...

Great! Your route is probably optimal now. I'll see if I can come up with a better time, but that is already a very fine demo with no obvious loss of time. Still, 1:4x is definitely possible.

Got it! Could be a couple of seconds faster if it weren't for the clunky run to the lift at the beginning and briefly missing a switch. It would also save a lot of time to have the cyber come to the bottom of the stairs at the end and not having to come back down to finish him, which often seems to happen, but not this time.

nr08-154.zip

I got lucky on this run, came really naturally for me. This was just my 3rd attempt in my game session, as opposed to NR08-156 which took over 20 attempts.

nr08-151.zip

Will the demos in this thread be automatically added to DSDA or will we have to request Andy Olivera to upload them?

Sorry about the double post. Looks like you can't upload a zip again once you delete it from the original post. Anyway, reuploaded to add a bonus demo where I manage to get the cyber stuck on raising stairs.

nr08-150.zip

Congratulations on beating my original entry (NR08-206) by 20 seconds... Wow, these are starting to look like COMPET-N quality demos. I guess this is how a map get optimized, two competitive people go at it for several years until it's been scientifically proven that it's impossible to get a faster time, even by a tic.

DooMer 4ever said:

Sorry about the double post. Looks like you can't upload a zip again once you delete it from the original post.

You can replace an attachment with a new one, but you can add a new one to an existing post that doesn't have an attachment any more.

Archy said:

Will the demos in this thread be automatically added to DSDA or will we have to request Andy Olivera to upload them?

Andy normally adds all demos from this forum to his site unless he is specifically asked not to.

I don't know how I'll do better than this...

And damn was I close

GF50 SR40               #  3709 (1:45.97m)
UT                      #  3710 (1:46.00m)
UT                      #  3711 (1:46.02m)
UT                      #  3712 (1:46.05m)
WT                      #  3713 (1:46.08m)
WT                      #  3714 (1:46.11m)
WT                      #  3715 (1:46.14m)
WT                      #  3716 (1:46.17m)

nr08-145.zip

Damn. I tried improving that a lot yesterday, but after getting 1:45 three or four times I just had to give up, at least for now. I'm sure it's possible to be a little faster but it's very hard at this point with waiting for the floors to lower and all that. Also, the cyber keeps blocking my route even more often than before which is quite annoying.

There's no way in hell I can beat that, I think I've truly been bested.

Good job.