Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Compet-N: incoming and discussion, part 1 [please post in part 2 instead]

@vdgg, lol, I had forgotten all about that :)

But I'm seriously confused, the official naming.txt file lists "UV -respawn Episode" as a legitimate option yet the official COMPET-N "Frequently Asked Questions" only lists the fallowing movie categories:

DOOM UV Episode
DOOM NM Episode
DOOM UV Max Episode
DOOM NS Episode

DOOM2 UV Episode
DOOM2 NM Episode
DOOM2 UV Max Episode
DOOM2 NS Episode
DOOM2 UV Run
DOOM2 NM Run
DOOM2 UV Max Run
DOOM2 NS Run
Node that this doesn't list other wads like "HELL REVEALED UV Max Episode" but your probably thinking "those are PWADs dumb ass, of course they won't list those," however, Plutonia and TNT aren't listed either yet a "TNT UV Max Episode" has been submitted and excepted under the "Adam Hegyi era," along with many other non DOOM/DOOM2 movie runs. The reason they probably left out the other two IWADs is because they're format is the same as Doom2's but this is still pretty weird.

I would really like to know if "UV -respawn Episode" entries would be acceptable for COMPET-N although I'm pretty sure the answer's "no" since no one has actually done a "UV -respawn
Episode" run that actually fallowed the UV -respawn rules.

... Why would they leave all the categories but take out "UV -respawn" when it comes to recording multiple levels? I'm also wondering about "UV Tyson Movies," those would be cool, and again, are listed in the official naming.txt file... WTF?

I always presumed it was self-evident that movie runs would be accepted in any of the categories for which single-level demos are accepted. The lack of movie runs in certain categories or wads just indicates that no one has felt inclined to take them on or had succeeded in doing so.

If you're really troubled by the lack of a specific mention in that list, consider that -fast and net1 movies were accepted.

Tyson movies are done for episodes 1,2,3 of Ultimate Doom. They can be found in \doom\movie. Episode 4 will stay undone until someone crazy enough will try it :-P There were no points awarded for these, but now who cares?
There is also a recent Doom II episode tyson run.
Suggestions for undone? Requiem ep.1 seems easiest, yet still would be very hard. A partial movie (e.g. up to MAP05) would be cool. j4rio tried this for Evilution.

Other movies - if the time exceeds 99:59, there may be some problems with naming, but if I recorded such a movie, I wouldn't worry about it. Doom II Max, Fast + TNT Max movies give you examples what to do while still maintaining 8 characters.

Grazza said:

If you're really troubled by the lack of a specific mention in that list, consider that -fast and net1 movies were accepted.

If -fast movies are excepted but not listed, then I'm pretty sure -respawn movies would have been excepted to. I wonder who will be the first to succeed in doing this? It can't be harder than NM100S.

The Ultimate Doom - Episode Two - The Shores of Hell -UV RESPAWN in 28:38.

Map:       Kills:    Items:  Secrets:       Time:   
  -------------------------------------------------------- 
  E2M1   -  105%      100%      100%      | 1:33 |       |
  E2M2   -  109%       58%      100%      | 3:58 |       |
  E2M3   -  101%       54%      100%      | 2:35 |       |
  E2M4   -  118%       32%      100%      | 4:12 |       |
  E2M5   -  117%        2%      100%      | 4:29 |       | 
  E2M9   -  100%       50%      100%      | 1:22 |       |
  E2M6   -  127%       35%      100%      | 5:40 |       |
  E2M7   -  126%       44%      100%      | 4:49 |       | 
  E2M8   -   ??%       ??%       ??%     [Excluded]      |
  And, of course, total time:               28:38 (-e2m8)|

e2re2838.zip

Archy, I always wondered the same. I'd have done them back in the C-N days had they been a category, but oh well. I may help you out in this endeavor =)

Altima said:

Archy, I always wondered the same. I'd have done them back in the C-N days had they been a category, but oh well. I may help you out in this endeavor =)

My Shores of Hell time is horrendously bad, you should best it and get your self another entry. I would love to see these times get down, for E2, under 20 is defiantly possible. I got 24:0x (can't remember the x) on E2 with -respawn but only going for 90% kills from E2M5 on, as I got 9x% on E2M4 but wanted to go on for practice on the next few levels.

My time's so horrible because I was tired of getting 9X% and wanted to get it over with. Had I done this properly, it would for sure be under 25:00.

I'll take a look at it sometime, Archy.

Also, not to dig up old problems, but since I'm archiving all the current Compet-N records on YouTube, I need to know which one of Kimo's records were 'cheated'? I know they aren't records, but the pages and such I'm getting my information from has his record as the fastest, but I'm credited with the record.

I don't care about the cheating part, I just need to know if there's a post/thread I can read what runs were cheated and such. If not, help would be appreciated here. Thanks guys =)

E1M8, is it?

Now, if you use this page and fill in the Keyword blank section with, e.g., "cheat" and the User Name with "kimo" (* match partial name), you should get what you want. Note the educational value of not giving you the direct URL ;)

I didn't get to that page, vdgg, but I did use the search feature. It gave me *THIS ENTIRE* thread, which is almost 50 pages to search through.

I wouldn't ask if I hadn't tried looking myself =P Thanks for the link though.

BTW, Kimo recently redid PA05-025 the honest way. Now the table has two PA05-025's (the old one is marked as TAS).

tatsurd-cacocaco said:

Alien Vendetta Map 29 UV-Max in 4:57

After amazing Paska's failed demo, my demo is just a trifle. However, under 5 min itself was very hard and one of the greatest achievement for me.

Nice! :)

My 9th COMPET-N entry for this map.

This is the 7th entry for UV-MAX, when you count all C-N players:

Complete Historic COMPET-N Leaderboard:
  PL11-828 - Kai-Uwe Humpert - 10/12/1996
  PL11-315 - Kai-Uwe Humpert - 03/26/1997
  PL11-252 - Radek Pecka     - 03/28/2002
  PL11-250 - Xit Vono        - 06/12/2006
  PL11-246 - Archy           - 11/18/2009
  PL11-244 - Archy           - 12/22/2011
  PL11-241 - Archy           - 02/15/2012

pl11-241.zip

Archy said:
Terrible time

What?!

hope someone improves this, under par is defiantly possible

who and how?

First, this is pretty incredible. Second, not everyone has been practicing this map, like, every day for a few years :-P Congrats! PS Check your PM box

Archy said:

Terrible time, hope someone improves this, under par is defiantly possible.

Strange. I accidentally watched it with doom2 -file plutonia.wad and it was 2 ticks slower, resulting in 4:21(.03)

For some reason it's 2 ticks slower from the last teleport to the exit than using plutonia as a iwad, heh.

Must be that teleporter. "The player's Z-coordinate is not set when teleporting, which can lead the player to spawn not directly on top of the destination teleporter pad but in the air above it" - that's -complevel 4 or Final Doom exe bug. Usually leads to desyncs. This is a very interesting case, though.

No real mystery, but an oddity for sure (i.e. a "partial desync"). The different teleport behaviour causes the player to hang in the air a little longer. This is the sort of thing that could easily cause a more serious desync, but the discrepancy here isn't enough to stop him exiting completely.

Another partial desync is Esko's lv28-206.zip, as TAS demos - see here for details (there it was the different lost soul behaviour to blame).

vdgg said:

Must be that teleporter. "The player's Z-coordinate is not set when teleporting, which can lead the player to spawn not directly on top of the destination teleporter pad but in the air above it"

Well, why does the fall cause it to desync? I mean the doomguy is stuck there 20 ticks anyways? They both start to move at the exactly the same tick. He just falls, right? It doesn't affect x and y coordinates?

Now that I have 10 C-N entries for Hunted, exactly half of all my C-N entries combined (meaning that if it wasn't for Hunted, I'd only have 10 entries :o), I've been wondering, what's the world record for most C-N entries on a single map? How about most C-N entries for a single category in one map?