Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
perkristian

The hi-res Doom sound pack is updated

It's more than 2 years since the last update, yet this update only includes 8 new sounds and a couple of them are just improvements. Most of these sounds were made possible by using sounds from the iPad version of Doom, so many thanks to "Urban Space Cowboy" who made them available a while back. When I got my hands on the iPad Doom sounds I was really excited, maybe I finally would hear a better version of the Cacodemon/Baron of hell sounds, but sadly I was in for a big disappointment. Most of these sounds are no better than the default Doom sounds, however, there were a few exceptions:

dsbospit - Icon of Sin cube spit
This sounded slightly better, although quite noisy, and judging by the look of the waveform it does not appear to be the actual sound used in Doom. I've found the source for this sound anyway so I didn't bother with it.

dsbossit - Icon of Sin greeting
Some sort of noise reduction process had obviously been applied, but to my ears it had also muffled the entire sound. I didn't bother with this sound either, but it inspired me to try do something with the original Doom sound. I managed to remove most of the noise and added some reverb to make it sound more evil.

dsbspsit - Baby spider sight sound
dsbspact - Baby spider idle
These two sounds were the most valuable of the iPad Doom sounds as they are significantly better then the default ones. They were only 22kHz, but after upsampling and some tweaking they sounded on par with the rest of the sounds in the pack.

dspedth - Pain Elemental death
dspepain - Pain Elemental pain
These sounds are only marginally better than the default ones, but got a bit better with some tweaking. Still, in a in-game situation they are hardly noticeable as better sounding, but since they are original Doom sounds I've included them. I already had a recreation of the Pain Elemental death, but that is now replaced.

dsmanatk - Mancubus attack
I didn't bother with this as the improvement over the default sound is just a fraction, and I've already found the source for this sound.

That was the iPad sounds and here are the rest:

dsplasma - The plasma rifle
Yes, I've been so bold as to include a new plasma rifle sound, but it's not a total makeover like on the other weapons. I've tweaked the original sound and mixed it with some others to make it sound "better" while maintaining character of the original. It's not as loud and annoying anymore, which was my biggest problem with the default sound.

dsmandth - Mancbus death
This is also one of those "divided into 3 parts" sounds:
1. Death moan - didn't find this so I borrowed from the original and tweaked it.
2. Hit the ground thump - this is the same sound as pinky makes when hitting the ground, only slowed down to half the speed. I only had this in 22kHz, so it ended up at 11kHz anyway :P
3. The sloppy part - this I've found the hi-res source for.

dsdshtgn - Super shotgun fire
This is just edited to sound more like the original.

And here is the updated sound pack:
http://www.perkristian.net/sounds/pk_doom_sfx.zip

Neat, glad to see this is still being updated. :)

What I wonder though, is why did they include Doom 2 sounds in the iPhone version of Doom when it was only Doom 1 levels? That, and why did they include the Super Shotgun as one of the selectable weapons?

At last!!!!!

Great work Perkristian, and thanks. I am so glad to see an update for this. :D

Everyone. You must download this.

It's the law.

Still love the stuff you put out. It's really cool to see an update for the sound pack, I was using the old one for a long time. Good job! :)

Holy hell, this is great news! These sounds are quite popular in the multiplayer scene; and I love 'em. btw omg same filename! That's gonna be a nightmare for hundreds with getWAD, just saying... :s

Did you know that quite a few original Doom 1 and 2 sounds come from sound effects libraries? They were downsampled for hardware/software capabilities of the time, so if you can find them in their original form, they'd be in much higher quality.

I know for a fact I've heard the door sounds at their original 44khz, and maybe some of the monster sounds as well.

The gun sounds are tricky, though I'm pretty sure the single shotgun blast is a sound effects library sound effect. I heard it in higher quality once in a Half-Life 1 mod, so it's out there somewhere.

I wish I could get ahold of bobby prince. He would probably know where to point us for these things.

Thanks guys!

Yes, the mission continues :-)

Although after listening thru all the iPad Doom sounds, the hope for a complete pack looks fearfully grim. I haven't tried the iPad version of Doom, funny; all the sounds from iPad Doom that has some slight improvement over originals are related to Doom 2.

Grub:
I have found quite a lot of the original sources for the Doom sounds, just listen thru the sound pack:
http://www.perkristian.net/game_doom-sfx.shtml
As far as I can figure, the regular shotgun sound is a modification of the explosion sound - that's at least how I made it.

Now I wonder; does anyone on this forum have a Ensoniq EPS keyboard at hand? This keyboard is often seen together with Bobby Prince in pictures from the time he made the Doom sounds. The Ensoniq EPS is a sampling keyboard and it may be that it was used in the process of making the Doom sounds.

Another thing is that some Doom sounds may be taken from movies. In Duke Nukem 3D there are some sounds taken from the T-Rex in Jurassic Park, so folks; keep your ears open whenever you're watching a pre-1993 action/fantasy/adventure movie :-P

Holy moly, that came out of nowhere! Best things sometimes happen when you expect them the least. :)

This SFX pack is at least as important as the highres pack for the graphics - if not better since it doesn't interfere with the actual game. You can use it and enjoy better sound while not noticing any significant change in its character. For me, this is something that simply belongs into Doom these days. Anyone who doesn't use it misses a lot.

Per, I hope you also come around to finishing your awesome Doom soundtracks one day. They are the best on the net, and I am really only waiting for them to be completed to use them ingame. Don't let yourself get discouraged by some idiots who upload your stuff to YouTube without giving you credit. Unfortunately, this happens all the time, it's not your fault, and hopefully those bastards rot in hell. I think I speak for everyone here if I write that we want (and need) more of your ingenious stuff! ^^

Whoa! Had no idea you replaced that many. Awesome! Did almost all the work for me! :D

Yeah, the regular player death sound is not quite the right one, and of course who knows where the plasma sound came from, but everything else is totally spot on! Awesome!

And the shotgun blast sounds a bit strange. Maybe some tweaking needs to be done so it doesn't sound quite so much like the regular barrel/rocket explosion? My brain thinks the new shotgun sound IS an explosion, whereas that problem didn't exist with the original.

NightFright:
Ha ha ha, thanks man! I'm sort of getting back in the Doom "mood" these days, so maybe :-)

Grub:
Oh no... not the shotgun sound again - I've been struggling with that several times now. Well, back to the drawing board then, yet again.

perkristian said:

NightFright:
Ha ha ha, thanks man! I'm sort of getting back in the Doom "mood" these days, so maybe :-)

Grub:
Oh no... not the shotgun sound again - I've been struggling with that several times now. Well, back to the drawing board then, yet again.

You don't have to go back to square one! The sound is incredibly close. I just think a slight tweak needs to be made. There's a place at the "double-blast" at the beginning that has too much of the beginning of the barrel explosion sound in it. I think that may be a good place to look at tweaking.

Working on that right now :)

At exactly 0.13 seconds in the sound there is a certain click sound that is very difficult to replicate, I'll have a go though.

Hey perk, is it possible to edit the existing player death scream sound's waveform by hand or some other process to make it sound higher quality?

Thing is, I think those sounds were actually recordings of Bobby Prince screaming, and cannot be found in a sound library. I remember reading that somewhere, Prince said it himself, but I don't remember exactly where. (maybe on his website?)

Only way to get a truly faithful sound is to just use the Doom version, as that's the only real one available. Might as well use the iPhone port's versions as a base for the enhancement if you're going to go that route.

Grub said:

Did you know that quite a few original Doom 1 and 2 sounds come from sound effects libraries?

This is common knowledge.

Grub said:

if you can find them in their original form, they'd be in much higher quality.

That's kind of exactly what this is. Unless you were intentionally stating the obvious...

Sodaholic said:

Hey perk, is it possible to edit the existing player death scream sound's waveform by hand or some other process to make it sound higher quality?

Aren't those modified too?
I was convinced that Per's soundpack made player's death scream much more horrifying.

Everyone. You must download this.

Yes, sir. But...

I'm thinking there's something wrong between my computer and this mod because it sounds like there's some noise in the background, like white noise in almost every sound. It was like that with the first sound pack and it is that way again with these new sounds.

I feared the regular death scream was Bobby Prince's voice as I didn't find it in any of the voice sets I checked, although it sounds like it starts as a time-stretched version of the regular death scream I used and then fades into the BP scream. Mixing the death scream from my pack with the default sound may be worth a try.

Phml:
Are you using a port that supports 32kHz sounds?

Phml said:

Yes, sir. But...

I'm thinking there's something wrong between my computer and this mod because it sounds like there's some noise in the background, like white noise in almost every sound. It was like that with the first sound pack and it is that way again with these new sounds.

I think maybe our brains just aren't used to the extra data after nearly two decades of conditioning to the crummy pld ones :)

but you could probably do a little tweaking if you really wanted to.

Phml:
Are you using a port that supports 32kHz sounds?

I've tested in GlBoom+, GZDoom and Slade3, and the problem is the same. I'm thinking it's more likely a problem with my computer hardware or software, or perhaps my speakers, seeing as I've had audio related problems in a few specific games (Oblivion/Fallout 3).

Thanks for your help, but it's not worth spending your time to fix, I don't know why I mentioned it in the first place. :)

Evolution said:

omg same filename! That's gonna be a nightmare for hundreds with getWAD, just saying... :s

This.

Even if this wasn't something that's rather popular on multiplayer ports - where everyone is required to have the exact same files in order to play on a server - it's still good working practice to use version numbers on your files :/

Excellent! I really don't know how the shotgun sound could still get any better than that! :)

And for anyone who still does not know how awesome this is: Play Doom without it, then use it and then try not using it again. You will wonder how you could ever live without it. It's just that great. :)

I don't know about the imp and baron scratching sounds... It sounds like tearing paper.

BTW Per, when did you add the song for E3M3? I just noticed it was missing in my collection (I downloaded the stuff back in August 2010). Can be that I just overlooked it back then, but at least for me it's new. :)

Anyway, if I counted correctly, 7 songs are missing for Doom, 11 for Doom II. 18 tracks missing for a perfect Doom soundtrack (not counting TNT). ;) So far, Sycraft is the only one I know who made music for all major Doom engine games (Doom 1+2, TNT, Heretic, Hexen). I hope that one day we get another full alternative.

Thanks again NightFright :-)

The E3M3 track was made in 2008, so I think you've just overlooked it.

Well, I have to find time to sit down and figure out which Doom/Doom 2 track to do next - and how to do it. I have played with a idea on how to make the guitar solo in "Running From Evil", so maybe that's next.

I've also started playing Fallout: New Vegas... :P

Krispy said:

I don't know about the imp and baron scratching sounds... It sounds like tearing paper.

It actually always sounded like that!

Awesome pack. I don't use many mods because I like to keep Doom as an enhanced version of itself (I like mods that are high resolution but don't take too much artistic liberty) and this does just that. So now i'm using this as well as hires texture pack. If only I could find some good models/sprites.

This is really a great project, and has become an essential wad to use when I play advanced ports, alongside your smooth weapon animation wad.

Awesome! An update to the best doom enhancement wad ever!