Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TimeOfDeath

Slaughterfest 2012 - NEW Final Final Version is up

Perhaps removing or lessening the area covered by the damaging slime would be just as well. I think my issue was tied to that and the hills, rather than either; I had to hug the walls to not take damage, and visibility and maneuverability were minimal due to the hills. Making either of these problems dissapear should fix the whole situation (assuming there is something that needs to be fixed, of course; could be just me).

I kind of liked the atmosphere overall, at times it feels like a cross between some of TimeOfDeath's maps and some of what Death-Destiny used to do.

Well, it was surely a lot better than those squarish rooms with stuff thrown in pretty much randomly from sf2011. However, there is still plenty of things I'd change. Would you mind if I'd do gameplay edits to it?

Weekend map! Startan Arena.

Placeholder name. Didn't feel like doing detailing or texturing just yet. gggmork would be proud.

Health pickups are few and far between. Don't hold out on ammo hoping for a SSG or a BFG, either.

Edit: two relatively minor changes. Startan Arena 12/02

StartanArena FDA

The first battle is pretty annoying for me. I just can't play good when I know there hardly isn't any health nearby.

Also, I misread your post as "Hold out on ammo hoping for a SSG or a BFG". And man, that advice didn't pay of :P

I can't give more feedback than to say that the imps placement is really clever, since I died early every attempt. The imps always block me when I open the door to the first squad of revenants. As you can see in the demo, the demons are pretty easy to handle if you don't make a wake-up-shot in the beginning.

SDA to come!

Here is edited DH's map. I haven't tried to beat it in one go just yet, but it should be final version of my edits unless there will be found bugs.

Download

As you can see in the demo, the demons are pretty easy to handle if you don't make a wake-up-shot in the beginning.

Yes. This concerns me a bit. I like to leave as many options as possible, but if one course of action is clearly the best (fastest + easiest), then there really isn't any other options at all, and your pacifist start strategy seems to be just that.

On the other hand, it might help easing a frustrating start for busy doomguys who have an UAC spaceship to catch and can't afford to spend a single minute fighting a cyberdemon mano a mano. :)

I'll mull it over this night, but I think I'm still going to make it somewhat harder.

Also, I misread your post as "Hold out on ammo hoping for a SSG or a BFG". And man, that advice didn't pay of :P

Ha.

The start is certainly painful if trying to speed through. I'll also take care of difficulty settings tomorrow. Might even throw a SSG on HMP rather than just extra powerups.

j4rio said:

Here is edited DH's map. I haven't tried to beat it in one go just yet, but it should be final version of my edits unless there will be found bugs.

Download

There's things I like in your edits, but I prefer DH's version. In yours, it feels like there's archviles in every single fight.

As for more objective feedback, near the red key linedefs #1548, 1549, etc. should be impassable as an unfortunate AV jump can send the player in an unescapable position.

-

Edit: Startan Arena 13/02

Hehe, archviles rock. I actually wanted to make something like major backtrack with avs teleporting everywhere throughout map once you activated switch in caged cybies room... yeah I had a little too much archviolence in mind.

DH said he likes those changes so that's more than enough pleasing to hear, tbh. Oh, and I'll have that thing fixed, thanks. I'll edit a few dummy rooms, demo it and upload later if there's nothing else.

I'll make a re-edit and upload it today. I think there are wayyy too many AV's now. Although, someone should make an all archvile map for this, that'd be fun.

I also don't know how to access the big outside secret anymore since Jario removed the teleport to it.

Jario: Your changes are cool, but here's a few things I want re-changed.

A few AV's i'd like taken out: The first two that start behind you. The one that 'ports in after grabbing the blue armor in the warehouse. I'd rather the four AV's in the bloodpit 'port in after grabbing the red key. Put cyb's in those little alcoves right before the bfg. Put back the cyb teleport trap i had after the teleport to the marble room.

Booo, you guys are no fun. :P

You jump through window from red key pillar. That's how I accessed it at first when I tried your map. There is some more little stuff I noticed that needs changes, so tell me what you want to change and I'll do it along with the minor stuff.

E: yeah, I wanted to go through map again and tag stuff for hmp/hntr, as everything I added was for all 3 difficulties

Aww I like those 2 avs behind start the most. :( SSging imps and chaingunners... boooring. It also discourages camping in starting hall.

I'm fine with removing the blue armor one, it was supposed to guard PG entrance but that was before I removed HKs.

As for those 4 archviles that are supposed to teleport in after grabbing red key rather than already being there... uhhhhhhh wouldn't that change that battle into an absolute, most likely unbeatable rape?

Cybies in those 2 alcoves... well I think they would be just a nuisance in a max demo rather than being a serious threat to player. You take mancos out from far and just run towards, without any harm done whatsoever. It'd be pretty much the same situation as those caged monsters in TNT map 30.

I want to re-do the caged cyb room because it's better if they teleport in. However, your version was bugged because they all had w1 teleporter, so I didn't know how exactly was it supposed to work.

I actually liked your last fight a lot so it remains unchanged.

Bah, this is changing into an editing spree.

I see your point about the cyb's in the alcoves. I originally had AV's teleport in from a monster box with the hell knights. Did you want to put that back?

For the cyb's, it was supposed to go like this: After killing all the revs and AV's in the marble room. Approaching the switch releases 2 cybs into the room with you, 3 into the start hall, and 4 into the redrock pit. You can do what you want with that fight though.

And the two cybs that were immediately next to the marble hall were supposed to teleport onto those raised daises right after passing halfway between them.

Yeah I know you wanted to discourage camping in the startroom, but I personally like having a safe spot to work out my next action.

No offense, but I sort of don't like those ideas. (3 cybs teleporting to starting room? Can't you at that point access it only by teleporter? I'm not exactly enthusiastic about that idea.) There are 3 in the redrock pit - 1 after bfg, 2 after pressing skull switch, which is more than enough.

I don't really miss those daises, they were in the way of rockets, blocked view and made dodging incredibly awkward.

Those alcoves remain as they are now on uv, I'll change them for lower difficulties.

Those 2 avs at start will also be present only on uv. There are 4 berzerks in the tentacle pit room and you also get green armor, so it's more than enough compensation. Blue armor one and railroad one will be changed into lesser spawn.

Phml: SDA for startanarena 1302.

Shootable switch at the start - a good solution to the pacifist playstyle I used. Now that I know that there's lots of sg and bullets spread out, it works great without pacifist.

The later parts of the map was great. It was very well balanced for a map without SSG and BFG. The av/rev closets at the YK scared the crap out of me the first time but it was still balanced for an FDA run. The reason I died was for a homing rocket that was IMO behaving very unconventional.

The PG placement was very clever. I didn't go for the PG before the YK because I just didn't feel like it. This made the spiderdemon fight very tideous but the baron fight in the PG room went smoothly because of the extra cells I saved by not having the PG.

2 demons behind the pillars with a raising floor you'll see where in the demo) are stuck behind the pillars and won't attack.

The RK/BK fight was pretty rough, but I could camp it out pretty easily since I saved the health on the ledges in the starting area. I'll try this fight later by justr staying inside and see if trapping the player could be an option.

I noticed that after the spiderdemon fight, some random cacos teleported in. I could've lived without them. First time they could be a suprise that could cost you your life, but when you know about them, they become tedious cannon fodder. They aren't too anoying though, so keeping them isn't that big of a let down heh.

I died in the starting area with ~40 monsters left so I gave up for this time. I know you by know and know that you'll change alot of stuff :P So I figured it's not a big deal if I didn't finish.

A pretty nasty but cool trap I would like to see would be if you teleport 2 revenats to the mancubus platform (the platform where there are some shottys behind some bars). Camping to much in the YK room could be punished this way. Just a thought you know...

GJ

Startan Arena 14/02

The pillar demons are there to soak hits or hinder movement, not to represent much of a threat. I want the pillars to be that way so the barons don't come out too fast out of their room.

Revenants near mancubus platform - I don't know. I'm not too concerned about anyone camping in the YK room.

Cacos - their purpose was to either help with the spiderdemon (infighting), at the risk of taking fire while running to the switch, or be an annoyance later. There's 20 rockets near the switch to kill them. You can stand in the room (middle of the blood pool is safe as it blocks monsters) and have them nicely bunched up for rockets, or run out right away and have them follow you and possibly show up at an inconvenient time.

They don't fly out of their lair fast enough though, so I changed that. Also put the spiderdemon on a lowering floor so it's not ready to attack right away, but meh. This part needs more tweaks but somehow after opening the editor and toying around for a few minutes I'm sick of it all.

Then my internet connection went down as I was trying to upload this. Throw in a bunch of real life bothers happening at the same time, little things individually but a pain in the ass altogether, and it's just one of these days where you start to believe there has to be some kind of higher being fucking with you. Trying to resist the urge to punch my furniture and toss it through the window rather than thinking about Doom stuff, for now. :P

Changed more stuff and demoed DH's map - walthrough rather than serious thing, no multitasking, routing or such whatsoever as there still may be more changes later.

Download

Here's another map. I know this one isn't done yet though, I can't seem to fix a couple of things. 1. I want the imps in the 1st lava room to come up like they did in Phml's "Mouse", I don't want any of the monsters in the final room to be able to hear until you walk into it BUT I don't want them deaf either (especially the cacos). And I'm not sure about the fight in the large room yet. Also, couldn't find a good midi to go with it so if someone wants to change it go ahead, I don't want the doom 2 music at all.

Requires cc4-tex.wad

http://www.mediafire.com/?6qix0ic3t3d16bg

Haven't time to check out the map right now, but

1) you can lower the floor ~80 units or more and leave the sidedefs untextured, ingame this renders the flat as if there was nothing but the upper sector

2) block sound linedefs might work, you need two of these between your final room and the rest of the map for the effect to work. If it doesn't for whatever reason, you could do the same thing as above, reversed; put some heightened sector around monsters without textures that lowers at turbo speed (or instantly, with that vanilla trick) when the player enters the final room.

Yeah, the block sound lines thing wasn't working. The main thing is that I need the cacos to be non-deaf, but the rest can be deaf since they are behind the final platform, and I want them to swarm in from the back. What was happening is that even with block sound lines they ended up being able to hear from when the floor lowers opening the final room and end up in the first room, which I didn't want.

Phml: Could you take a look at my final room and see why the block sound lines aren't working?

General Rainbow Bacon said:

Here's another map. I know this one isn't done yet though, I can't seem to fix a couple of things. 1. I want the imps in the 1st lava room to come up like they did in Phml's "Mouse", I don't want any of the monsters in the final room to be able to hear until you walk into it BUT I don't want them deaf either (especially the cacos). And I'm not sure about the fight in the large room yet. Also, couldn't find a good midi to go with it so if someone wants to change it go ahead, I don't want the doom 2 music at all.

Requires cc4-tex.wad

http://www.mediafire.com/?6qix0ic3t3d16bg

There is a missing texture in the first pic.

Annnd then the imps, like said, don't rise...

Phml: Could you take a look at my final room and see why the block sound lines aren't working?

Sector 136 (right after the block sound linedefs) is merged with a sector that is before that part.

It's possible to go north, through the lava, right away, and miss the linedef triggering the raising imp floors.

General Rainbow Bacon said:

-complevel 9 dude, they rose when playtested it.

Just played with regular Skulltag UV...

Time for me to contribute.

Tingsryd

Please don't kill me now, but I used the q1tex.wad resource. there might be a tiny risk that I included textures that aren't available in the SF2012 texture pack. I started mapping with the SF resource, but got a nervous breakdown when I had to browse through thousands of textures.

FDAs and/or maxes are welcome

Oh no dude no no no you can't post new maps at three in the morning. Gah!

Bah, I'll just go to sleep RIGHT NOW and play it as soon as I'm up tomorrow!