Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xaser

Doom The Way id Did: v1.1 Released!

I liked e3m2 a lot, to me it felt on par with the rest of the levels that episode (Abstract and rough, in a good way).

Anyway, I completed this yesterday (Including all the secret levels -- very nicely done I might add) and I absolutely loved it. I could probably gush about this wad for 2 more paragraphs but I'll just cut it short: Fantastic work to everybody involved.

E3M1 was an excellent opening level. It had the classic pistol fight against the mid-HP demons with turbo ammunition, that made it be id-like. The second part gave a real classic feeling, even if it didn't resemble to any existing id levels at all.

E3M2 didn't bother me at all. Even if it was quite homagish for at least 5 out of the 9 maps in the original E3 levelset, the ideas and realisation did enough not to blame Daimon for it.

E3M3 quite kicked my ass. It was one of the - maybe too many - maps that started off from a room being able to be walked around. But it wasn't the major fault at all. More likely the difficulty and those well-hidden secrets pissed me off. But, even if I died thrice due to some nasty surprises, I was fairly contented by that level, too.

E3M4 remained almost the same as it was in the previous release. Not bad, but its name is resembling to the one of the original. On average, the level was kinda nice.

E3M5 was my personal favourite of all. It was filled by lots of original ideas, and the realisation made it even better. Easily beats numerous classic well-playing levels of Petersen himself. The "Redrock Slough of Despair" or how to call that succeeded really beautiful and after the yellow key, it all became a fantastic, never experienced Doom feeling. Absolute 5 stars.

E3M6. I've already said my opinion about Phobus' Depths. Simply great.

E3M7 was rather brutal, but the expectations were fulfilled. The only thing that made my eyebrows yanked up was the blue door signal. That strange landmark reminded me of the E3M6 exit door or the E4M2 blue door, but neither of them were like this. Much more like for a new idea, still, as far as I would have been able to imagine something like this in an id level, I wasn't that shocked like a real buggy critic would be. Not to speak about ridiculously little details: liked it, but some parts were extremely strange.

E3M8... the classic Core. Power up, flatten out, nasty Barons, four-legged mutant spiderborg gets his last hitpoint cut off by the BFG aftermath. Shit's on the floor, yo.

E3M9 is more than likely to be moved from E3M6 of the first release. I wasn't aware of that pretty hard level either, the only notice is the starting note from my E3M3 review. Homageish, and? Nobody does perfect. Even E3M5 wasn't 100%. To be honest, this E3M6 clone rather fits the secret role than that level in the previous release, that more reminded me of some Oniria, in a bit of NoL style.

Just one question: for the very-first release somewhen in the summer, which "reject" soundtracks were used? Some of them really caught my attention.

[EDIT] Never mind, I've redownloaded it (87th page at the locked thread). [/EDIT]

Grab it here!

To mark the announcement of the inevitable sequel, we're unleashing version 1.1 of Doom The Way id Did. It sports a load of fixes and tweaks, par times, much better deathmatch support, and a seriously kickass surprise courtesy of our resident art guru Kracov: intermission maps! Download it, enjoy it, and give it a whirl on Odamex sometime if you haven't already.

Also corrected in this release are the grievous sins of a missing author name in the credits (sorry Captain Toenail!) and the lack of DM starts in two maps. Hopefully this version will stand the test of time somewhat unwithered.

Huge thanks to all the team regulars (especially Alfonzo for practically pulling an all-nighter with some stuff), the Odamex crew (esp. HeX for impromptu hosting) and everyone who's given feedback and pointed out all the silly mistakes that slipped through... which admittedly isn't entirely un-id-like but still worth a patch or two. ;)

- - -

Sometime in the near future, I'll be updating this thread with a complete archive of submissions and a "DTWID Take Two" mapset of sorts, featuring a selection of runner-ups. There were plenty of cool maps that haven't officially seen the light yet, and that needs to change. Soon. ;)

Make sure to bother me for the latest versions when you're ready Xaser, I may do some minor tweaking if it's okay.

Marcaek said:

Make sure to bother me for the latest versions when you're ready Xaser, I may do some minor tweaking if it's okay.

Sure thing. Have you made any edits since posting them in your recent release thread?

A truly excellent megawad, my personal favorite for the first Doom besides "Wonderful Doom". I just love the simple oldschool design, and it's remarkable how much fun you can get into a file which is even below 5MB filesize.

If this doesn't get a Cacoward, I don't know. It's a must-play for sure, and if the Doom II project has similar quality, we can already look forward to yet another classic pwad! Congratulations to everyone involved in this project, outstanding work! :)

I just finished an LP of the first episode and started the second and you turn right around and update it on me -.-

PRIMEVAL said:

I just finished an LP of the first episode and started the second and you turn right around and update it on me -.-

This is why I haven't even bothered to play it yet. Wanted to make sure it was a "stable version" first. :)

Avoozl said:

All the intermission is missing for the shores of hell episode is the location of its final level appearing to construct further in progress after each level you beat like with the tower of babel in the original Doom. http://images.wikia.com/doom/images/7/71/Twrbuild.gif

Have you gotten to the later maps yet? ;)

Also, we HOPE that this version is the final, end-all release... well, until UDTWID comes 'round. ;)

First of all, congratulations to all those involved. Fantastic release and thanks for all the effort you have put in.

I spent a few hours playing through E1 this evening and enjoyed every map. Everyone involved should be very proud of their work. I will definitely replay the episode as I'm interested to find out how maps will feel once they become slightly more familiar. This is important as I cannot say how I would feel playing the original E1 today if it was new to me again. All the maps in DTWID's E1 had the right look. Some maps were particularly good and had the right feel (nostalgic or just great in their own right). The best ones for me:

E1M1 - great opener. Professional presentation. Perhaps larger / more complex than it needed to be if a direct comparison to Romero's is drawn.

E1M5 - particularly liked the red / blue room at the end before the exit. One thing that drove me crazy was the sound of triggered doors opening and closing quite regularly as I ran about.

E1M6 - my favourite of the episode. Nice, distinctive rooms. Intertwined layout. Only puzzler was the radiation suit up on the ledge above the large nukage. Why do I need it? I grabbed it, dropped off the ledge into the nukage and looked around for secrets... did I miss something (I did make it outside from the end of the ledge, though) ?

E1M8 - nice atmospheric build up, fun showdown! One thing stood out. The walls dropping at the end - the textures didn't scroll down with the wall as it dropped; was that intended?

Intermission screens are a nice touch too, although they looked more 'cartoony' compared to the original artwork style.

I hope I don't offend anyone here with my feedback and minor criticism. I am overall very impressed indeed. I really look forwards to taking on E2! Great stuff guys!

I'm enjoying this wad a lot even though I haven't had much time to play it.

There seems to be a problem on E1M7. There is a small room that hides three enemies and a couple armor bonuses (Sector 242 in Doom Builder 2). Sector 241 doesn't open up but the door next to it does even though it has the same tag. This room does not seem to open up in either version of this wad that I've played.

I've tried playing this with prboom and the latest version of zdoom but it still had the same effect of not opening.

Edit: I downloaded the newest version of prboom and now it opens up.

Played through E1 of this last week. It was pretty damn nice. I particularly liked E1M5, I spent ages exploring that level, trying to find all the secrets.

Quick bumpdate: The wad's on idgames now. It also includes a couple of slight fixes (quick bugfix on E3M9 and an edit to the ENDOOM -- sorry Marn :P ), hence the 'version bump' to v1.1a. Should be final now. ;)

Played Episode 1.

The visual style is nailed down. Some of the levels are more successful than others in terms of gameplay, I think. E1M6, E1m7 and E1M9 were my favorites. Some other maps had a problem where I think they felt a bit too.. I don't know ... Windy?

There was an odd inter-connected simplicity that the original Romero maps had, like he was so excited to be using what he had that he wanted to make sure you saw it a lot, and this created a sort of internal familiarity in your brain in terms of the geography of the maps. You can really feel the spirit of, I don't know, creation or "genesis." Also, there was rarely any wasted space. A lot of the itme, you kept coming back through the same "Cores" of the map to find new things opened or available, sort of like a simpler version of how new areas were made available to you in Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. This probably has at least something to do with the proximity of locked doors to the starting area, though.

My favorite vanilla maps are E1M1-E1M3 and E1M7 (and I really loved E1M9 when I was a little kid,) so I don't know if that describes anything about my tastes in this regard.

The most successful maps of DTWID E1 accomplished those qualities without too much fuss, I think. The main issue I think was simply overcoming modern DOOM mapping habits of making long, complicated maps (not a bad thing, but that's generally not the feeling of vanilla E1.) Had to hold back, keep things short and simple, make sure you're not making things too snake-y and branch-y.

Overall, though! Really awesome project so far! I'll start playing E2 and E3 in not too long.

That's some good news!
I'll update the page tomorrow.
Really glad we have finished this project. I mean finished-finished. You even fixed ENDOOM, which was driving me crazy with "the-guy-we-don't-talk-about" listed there :/

PRIMEVAL said:

Started Episode 2 for my LP using 1.1, going to be uploading tomorrow.

Great, finally someone bothers to "let's play" something else than E1. Can't wait to see the video.

Marnetmar said:

The door in E2M4 near the plasma rifle only opens from one side

What door? Pretty sure everything is tagged correctly there, unless you found out a way to speedrun something that you weren't supposed to :)

Cell said:

E3M5 was my personal favourite of all. It was filled by lots of original ideas, and the realisation made it even better. Easily beats numerous classic well-playing levels of Petersen himself. The "Redrock Slough of Despair" or how to call that succeeded really beautiful and after the yellow key, it all became a fantastic, never experienced Doom feeling. Absolute 5 stars.

Thanks very much for your comments!

Cell said:

I'm really glad this level made it in as well, despite my initial criticisms of it (was there a map in this project I didn't criticize, tho?) I particularly liked the teleport secret for feeling very authentic while maintaining the level of simplicity E3 exemplified.

ellmo said:

Great, finally someone bothers to "let's play" something else than E1. Can't wait to see the video.

What door? Pretty sure everything is tagged correctly there, unless you found out a way to speedrun something that you weren't supposed to :)

Sector 219. You can't get out in multiplayer until someone opens the door via a switch.

Marnetmar said:

Sector 219. You can't get out in multiplayer until someone opens the door via a switch.