Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ReFracture

Chocolate Doom - Mirrored Levels?

I believe as an April Fool's gag, Fraggle released a version of Chocolate Doom that mirrored all the levels. Whatever happened to that?

I know it might sound silly, but that is the sort of thing I would love to have available as an option.

To answer your original question, it was a one-off thing that I never intended to keep in as a feature. The way it was implemented was a hack that is incompatible with some of the other changes I made later (it changes the lump data read from WADs).

The change itself is pretty simple - several things are swapped and negated so you end up with everything reversed and the BSP tree is correct. It would certainly be neat to see it turned into a command line tool.

fraggle said:

The change itself is pretty simple - several things are swapped and negated so you end up with everything reversed and the BSP tree is correct. It would certainly be neat to see it turned into a command line tool.

Judging from how messed up the exit door is, a more complete change would also need to address the texture offsets. And maybe the patch format should be read mirrored too, as well as texture composition. ;)

As I remember, I tried to fix it up a bit, but yeah, to work properly it needs to be mirrored at the texture or patch level.

There's no reason for the exit door to get misaligned like that. The linedef lengths all remain the same. The only things misplaced will be the left/right texture variants of the exit door jambs or BRNBIGL/R etc.

A mirrored map mode would actually be kind of nice although such a thing would be more suited to a racing game.

That's the most amusing gag hack I've ever seen. It's enough of a mindfuck that it gave me a headache just watching that vid. :D

Why not just reverse the renderer, leaving the map data alone? :P Make it draw columns starting from the right edge of the framebuffer instead of the left ;)

Exactly, it simply wouldn't work. Not to mention the audio would be wrong. Mirroring the map geometry is far easier and can be externalized to a utility script.

You can mirror maps with the warm nodebuilder.

You type warm -flip my.wad but the nodes need to be built first for this to work properly.