Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fiend-o-hell

FoH's Standalone Series MEGAWAD (MAP02:Fort Update!)

Hey hey hey. I've been spinning this idea in my mind for a while now, and after creating a couple of maps, I'm now certain I want to commit to it. The idea is this: challenge myself to create a megawad where each level is so unique, so distinct, and so innovative (at least by my standards), that they cannot possibly have any anything to do with each other (hence "Standalone Series"). Thus, a strict pistol start rule is in order.

After I finish each map, I'll post here and on the archives. After 32 maps, I'll bundle them up into a nice mega wad bundle, sprinkle enough goodies into them to make it a worthwhile play-again experience, release once more, and call it a day.

The fun part will be where I will be getting my ideas from. I'll be taking requests here on the forum or from any spontaneous crazy idea I have. You can layout any guidelines you'd like, and ill try to meet them. Those ideas will get posted here for me to draw from. Also, I'll be listing the maps I have completed thus far.

Play testers as always welcome!

Thanks
--------------------------------------------------------
Levels:
MAP01: Miniture Meyhem (slightly revised from one in archives)
MAP02: Fort (v2)(finished)
MAP03: Demon Snare (v3)(finished)
MAP04: Extorta Montra (beta2)(finished)
--------------------------------------------------------
Idea Pool: (* used, - not used )
*conveyor belts!
*randomly choose textures and make something with it
*fort with lave going through the middle to celebrate 2012!
*WIP idea generator (tehee!)
-Hit up the fan fic/pic forum and do a level based off of material from there
-Plasma marine. Plasma rifle totting marine goes back in time to deliver hot scorching justice to those who wronged him. Will involve Blood textures.
-DeHackED MADNESS! As a short intermission map, defeat 8 jacked up enemies before time runs out!
-Boom Barrels'o'fun (Suggested by Tango)
-Crazy Crazy Switches... Switchazard! (Suggested by ProcessingControl)
-Journey-approach an immensely tall structure from an immensely far away distance!
-Chaos Mode- each skill level presents a wildly different game play experience!
-Home Invasion! Killers, poltergeist, and wackos!
-Temple Raider- outside temple -> unimpeded path to bottom -> hell breaks loose (Indiana Jones style) -> make it out alive (Suggested by Foodles)

---------*FEATURE WAD - DEMON SNARE *---------
======================================================================
--------------------------------------------------
======================================================================
Description: A map created for FoH's Standalone Megawad Project in which the challenge is to work with a severely limited texture set derived from 40oz's UAC Ultra texture pack. This wad implements difficulty levels diligently, so it cadres to both casual and hardcore players alike! Be aware though! If you’re playing on Ultraviolent, prepare for a never ending onslaught the likes of which you will not be prepared for (contradiction intentional)!Make sure you load up the two wad files included with the zip together to get the fullest experience possible.

Demon Snare Screenies...

fiend-o-hell said:

my intention was to make this prboom compatible, but alas, I got a "signal 11" error

And what's in the stdout.txt?

-- OLD --
(Demon Snare v1 issue)
I just finished mapping Demon Snare- my most intricate piece of work yet- so i'm featuring it here as this project's title launch wad.

One thing worth noting... my intention was to make this prboom compatible, but alas, I got a "signal 11" error, so I just won't be able to get it to work soon enough. Sorry. Maybe another day. For now its just zdoom 2.5 compatible.
----------------------

And what's in the stdout.txt?

I'll post it here

I have numerous texture warnings showing up (which I'll work on), but I would imagine its this line that crashes my wad:

P_LoadReject: REJECT too short (0<40613) - padded

Oh. Very nice work. This differs alot from your previous effort I must say. To bad it isn't boom compatible :/ Had to play with gzdoom, which I don't like at all.

I can't help you with the error you seem to get with prboom, but you should know that it is worth fixing it! If you make more maps like these (I only played Demon snare though), I'm sure they'll get some sweet demo attention :)

2 things I noticed:
Some sectors don't do damage near the start location.
You can jump to the exit from here.

Also: The monster placement or the design of the fight in the beginning before you get to the cave with the red key was pretty meh. I think there's alot of room for improving that fight and making it harder. Now you can just sneak around and shoot monsters in the back cause they are all flagged "deaf".

Keep it up!

Should have mentioned that jump should not be enabled on whatever port your using. I did not take that into account whatsoever while I tested this.

Thanks for pointing out those flaws dannebubinga. I'll work on improving it in the next update. I know the prboom thing is a bummer, and I'm working to get it fixed.

I didn't actually "jump". I always say "jump" when I mean - strafe running or sr50 from one platform to another. So just so you know, alot of people will just hop over to the exit (it's not even a hard "jump"). If they're unlucky, they'll fall down into a HK-pit that hasn't triggered.

@dannebubinga: Ah then in that case, good to know. Will fix in the next update.

@Tango: Barrels you say! Now that you mention it, I wonder what I can cook up combining the power of boom with the awesome explosiveness of barrels. Will add to the list!

Also, I have started a new map based off of the WIP idea generator. I wasnt feeling at all discrimanatory, so I just picked the first idea that came up which was this:

Build a cramped twisted hellish warehouse map.
The player has to destroy a few lost UAC machine and
kill three Mancubi

I shall call it... Warehell!

OK, I have updated Demon Snare:

DOWNLOAD DEMON SNARE V2.01

In turns out that pesky prboom signal 11 was a result of some pngs I forgot to convert to doom format. No biggy.

Here are the v2 updates:
-Now PrBoom Compatible
-NEW animated sky
-Increased level of difficulty at the beginning
-New easter egg
-more secrets
-Improved spacing and visuals
-No more early exit
-Using SWITCHES lump now instead of tex replacement

FDA for the latest version of Demon snare. Prboom+ complevel 9.

As you will see, I managed to brake the map once again from 2 different locations. And the fight at the start wasn't really improved, just cramped like hell. But it still played better than the last versions fight.

The new sky was really cool :)

This project looks like it'll turn out pretty interesting.

Request: Do a map with a ridicules amount of switches.

@dannebubinga: thanks a lot for the demo! Wrote myself up a good log of bugs to work on. I appreciate your comments on my sky dude. I know its showing total seemage, but I'll get around to fixing it at some point!

@Processingcontrol: ( : [ ] )
Yes! I will so do that at some point!

Also, I have released yet another tiny update (v2.01) that fixes the animations. Totally did not see that that broke at the time of v2 release.

Just stopping in to dish out 2 news items:

ITEM 1 - Demon Snare v3 now out!
--------------------------------
I have given Demon Snare another major revision. Its now at v3. When I moved from v1 to v2, I shifted my focus from tight ammo control to onslaught carnage. Some people may not have liked that, so I preserved v1 more or less in diff level 1. Other issues to address; may need some balance tweaks and no, I have not changed the sky from v2. I'll get to it someday.

DOWNLOAD DEMON SNARE V3 HERE

For a full list of updates, here it is:
-Packed in more encounters and surprises
-Improved nearly every currently existing encounter
-Improved overall visuals (tex alignment etc)
-added light fixtures to cave and base
-Difficulty setting vary widely from casual to pro
-Addressed early finish issues
-Added Title pic and clip
-(*FLASH*)NOW SUPER AWESOME(*FLASH*)

Anyways ill keep updating as long as people (ahem dannebubinga) tell me something is screwy. Same goes for the rest of my maps.

ITEM 2 - WareHell Progress Update!
----------------------------------
I'm still working strictly on layout right now, but things are coming along smoothly. Setting wise, I intended the warehouse to have a futuristic industrial feel to it with a stereotypical 20's twist. Well I got the 20's part right... Hey its a work in a progress!
Here are screenies for my next upcoming map, WareHell:

No jacked up enemies, this would force you to place more health and ammo.

Wow, almost a month has gone by since I last posted on this thread.

Well, I have good news everyone! I have been working steadily on a new mega standalone map that proves to be the greatest vanilla doom2 wad I will ever create. I hadn't announced it before as I did not intend it to be that way inititally, but eventually that's what the challenge became.

It is almost complete. Just need to tidy up some loose ends (ie implement skill levels and find a new sky tex), so I should be able to release this within the next couple of days in beta form of course. There may be visual oddities here and there that I can't possibly catch in time.

Originally intended as a map for the NOVA community map project, it started off as Memfis scrap and I have since then built it up to such a degree that it is nearly unrecognizable from the base. As I said before, its the finest doom2 map I will ever craft. I never want to invest so much time into one map with so much scale, complexity, and detailing.

Without further ado, I proudly announce Extorta Montra. Expect a beta release within a few days!

Screenshot Closeups:

Looks cool. Will you keep the music that the original map had? I really like it. :)

btw if you want a nice sky, check out Whispers of Satan map07. That's what I planned to use.

I have an idea for a map that I was going to make at one point, create a temple leading to some underground area, no monsters are encountered as you work your way to the bottom of the map which allows for atmospher and suspense to be built up. When you get to the bottom your press a switch or grab a key and then all the monsters are released and you have to fight your way back outside. The player will know the layout and so some pretty intense fights could be made.

Memfis said:

Looks cool. Will you keep the music that the original map had? I really like it. :)

Well after some deliberation, I decided to go with a darker, less dynamic track. Still, I'm gonna use your original track for the NOVA map which in turn is a leaner version of Extorta which in turn is based off of your map, so nothing will go to waste in the end.

btw if you want a nice sky, check out Whispers of Satan map07. That's what I planned to use.

Excellent suggestion! The grayness will contrast well with the hell temple/base in middle of a sea of blood theme I have going on.

Foodles said:

I have an idea for a map...

Mmmm, me likey your idea. I'll add it to the list. Also, I dare say it will be an EDGE level! Been meaning to get around to working with that port.

@dannebubinga: awesome thanks! Can't wait for you to utterly and mercilessly rip into my level like the destroyer of dreams you are. I mean that in a good way!

Extorta Montra ready for a beta release! See above for pics. It is a doom2 map for limit removing ports only (sorry vanilla/choco). I have fully tested this in PrBoom, so it should work on most ports.

DOWNLOAD EXTORTA MONTRA BETA1

At this point, I rather shelve the skill level implementation for the next update. This is the most sophisticated level I have ever mapped. I have never said this before. Also, it is VERY coop friendly, meaning every lockout area should be accessible from the outside incase you or your buddies get... well... locked out.

FDA Played with complevel 2, didn't finish.

Dude! Wtf happened? This map is such a mess compared to demon snare. There's tons of ways to break the map and unclosed sectors EVERYWHERE. I don't really know where to start... Watch my FDA and then start woorking on the bugged monster teleports, unclosed sectors, route breaks and get that icon of sin out of the map. Seriously... It was quite an enjoyable mix of fights until I heard the icon of sin activating.

You should also consider learning how to lower/upper unpeg your textures properly since there were lots of misaligned upper textures.

The red key can be picked up via SR-50 through the impassable linedef since it's to close to the linedef. The red key could just as well be placed in the middle of the platform below.

Some monsters didn't teleport in the red key room.

Many of the sectors that raise from the blood parts (revealing hell knights) have much darker lightning than the surrounding sectors.

The blinking room that held a megasphere closet was ugly and boring. It didn't pose any challenge and the teleports seemed really buggy. It took too long for the bars to lower when you pushed the button to open up the way out and trapping the player seemed pointless anyway.

I saw some missing textures (HOM's) as well. But there were so damn many wacky things in this map that the only thing I can recommend is to play it thuroughly and start dealing with it.

Yeah, this map really needs some work. I don't mind misaligned textures, but route breaks, unclosed sectors, bleeding textures, slow/broken monster teleports and HOMs in software mode must be fixed. Also linedef 5075 (which you press near the start) opens the blue door - whoops!

Here is my FDA. I managed to get to the exit. As danne, I too enjoyed the fights but Icon of Sin was a big letdown. And the way summoned monsters get stuck in each other makes me facepalm.

Ok, so I sat through both FDAs. Indeed from what I saw you guys played a messier level than it should have been because of complevel 2. Comp level 9 should fix all the buggy teleporters and triggers. Not to mention the useless pain elemental flying around. This map is intended to be a slower, more adventurous fair (complete with saving) than the action oriented Demon Snare.

And you both skipped the blue key zone! The part where the level forks right before the chimney archvile leads to two keys. You guys only went for the yellow key. Oh well, my fault for messing up the blue key door. There is no point in playing it again. Wait for the next update.

There are a lot of problem areas I got to address of course, so thanks for the play test! Wrote a nice big long log of things to work on for the next update.

I noticed a major drag was the cave system. I'll give it a major tune-up by adding more triggers, reducing crampness, and reducing the number of safe zones.

@danne: the whole point of that side quest with the arch in the cave was to get the backpack. It does suck at the moment, but I'll give it a tune up and make it part of an ultra level secret.

Also, do you guys get those pixel lines that stretch across the screen. I always seem to get those in all my maps, but I don't know what causes it?

OH OH, and the icon of sin ending... (looks away)... your all just hate mongers. I'll tune it, put it up for debate in the update as to weather it stays or goes.

Anyways, expect an update within a week!

@Memfis: dude can't you kill a rev with a rocket launcher. C'MON NOW!

Extorta Montra Beta 2 now posted as promised!

DOWNLOAD BETA 2 HERE

Updates since last version:
+Now PrBoom -complevel 2 friendly - all previous teleporters and triggers work %100
+Improved cave portion and end battle
+Implemented 2 mega secrets (HINT:You can now disable the icon of sin)
+A ton of gameplay enhancements to numerous to list here
+Fixed bleeding mid tex windows
+Blue door fixed

I personally gave it another run and found that everything should be working properly. Its vastly improved from beta 1, so everyone should find something new here.

Here are some visual bugs i'm aware of:
1. Invinsible sectors show HOM at the top (especially left wing after teh fork)
2. Tex misalignment (will address in v3. Please don't report these)
3. Ugly vertical pixel lines all over the place (dunno how to fix)

I opened up the map in DB2 just to take a look at the new version. Dude... There are tons of unclosed sectors in the map. Use the map analysis mode to find them and fix them. They can cause weird visual stuff.

And making the Icon of sin an option isn't something I'm to fond of. Selecting the boss shooter and pressing "delete" is something I would recommend. But it's not my map, just my opinion.

Will look into the unclosed sectors problem. Thanks.

Hey I get that its not your style of map. Hopefully more people can play test for me so they can tell me what they think.