Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kagemaru_H

What ports do YOU use?

The point, long ago, was that doing so via the command line was not always convenient. The other point was that this wasn't incompatible with also having this command line parameter.

I've used GZDoom almost exclusively for years now since it was invented. I've just started to give PRBoom+ (particularly GLBoom+) a try. It looks excellent! I just downloaded Chocolate Doom and am gonna give that a try as well.

i have in use:gzdoom[trying keep on my hardrive latest rev.] zdoom[latest] & edge 1.34 .. thats all ..

Mainly Eternity, since it has IMO the by far best looking software renderer for Doom, as well as nice features for editing. So I pretty much use this for all things that it supports.

For oldschool flair I sometimes use Chocolate Doom.

And then G/Zdoom for stuff that is made specifically for them and interests me.

Chocolate Doom for vanilla wads, PrBoom+ for limit removing and Boom-compatible stuff, and G/ZDoom for wads that require it. I have several other ports for wads that require them.

As for multiplayer, I split my time pretty evenly between ZDaemon, Odamex, and Skulltag.

entryway said:

jDoom.exe does not work if current dir is not jDoom.exe dir. Also it does not recognize %DOOMWADDIR%.

I do not want to have another copy of all my wads in doomsday folder and I do not want to have all DoomsDay's files and folders in my common DOOM dir which contains all wads I need and I do not want to RTFM for trivial things.

.\Doc\Example.bat (fixed with full path) also does not work if I start it from my DOOM folder in this way: example -iwad doom2.wad

Also it annoys me a little, when after each attempt I get error message twice: with MessageBox and with notepad.

I know it's possible to start jdoom heh, but I do not want to use any kind of launchers and I do not like to fuck with 250kb of documentation just for starting Doom and I do not want to try to recollect all this magic again in future.

I dont want to say that I dont agree with your opinion, but your emotional style of explanation just made me fall under the table:) So much hate to launchers, but in emotional and funny way

As for me - I solved this problem in next way:

D:\GAMES\JDOOM - this folder contains doomsday 1.8.6 and all iwads/pwads/addons (music, models, textures etc)/configs/savegames related to Doom 2
D:\GAMES\JDOOM_ULTIMATE - same about Doom 1
D:\GAMES\JDOOM_PL - same about Plutonia experiment
D:\GAMES\JHERETIC - same about Heretic
D:\GAMES\JHEXEN - same about Hexen (with Deathknights wad)
D:\GAMES\J_ALL_001 - all games (with all related files) with Doomsday 1.9.7

Each folder contain BAT files for each necessary game and pwad (only for 1.8.6, because I use Snowberry for 1.9.7).

For example JHeretic folder contain next bat files:

HERETIC.BAT: jheretic.exe -file LEO.WAD -maxzone 512m
ADDON.BAT: jheretic.exe -file LEO.WAD -file curse.wad -maxzone 512m

JHexen folder contain next bat files:

HEXEN.BAT: jhexen.exe -maxzone 512m
ADDON.BAT: jHexen.exe -file hexdd.wad -maxzone 512m
CALDERA.BAT: jHexen.exe -file caldera_LEO.wad -maxzone 512m

I have shortcuts to all these bat files in the "games" folder on my desktop, so it is easy to launch them.

All these folders (together) take 5 GB of space with 15892 files and 1521 folders. It is not a problem for me with today's cheap 2TB hard disk drives.

P.S. You can ask "why I have several folders for Doom games" - the main reason is "different music packs" (for example plutonia experiment has same names, but different tracks). Several folders for "Doom, Heretic and Hexen" are because if I have errors with Hexen only - I will update to a new version of Doomsday (which will force me to setup configs from scratch and forget about old savegames) only for Hexen (without creating such problems for Doom and Heretic). I dont remember other reasons, but it is acceptable for me to work with several folders. When I will move to 1.9.x in future - I will use same folder for all games (with Snowberry launcher).

John Smith said:

I use Chocolate Doom for everything vanilla, and Eternity for everything else. And thats actually all.

I know this was two years ago, but are you using ZDoom now so you can test Cacoward nominees?

GZDoom is my favourite. I used JDoom for non modded wads but is full of bugs, plus fog and glowing textures in latest version doesn't work and the support/community is almost non existant

DoomQuaker said:

I used JDoom for non modded wads but is full of bugs, plus fog and glowing textures in latest version doesn't work and the support/community is almost non existant

Both fog and glowing textures work just fine for me and presumably everyone else (we've had no reports). Doomsday's user community are mostly silent, they don't tend to hang out in our forum. As for user support, we do that on our forum - post about your problem and you will get a reply.

I use Doom v1.9 (Ultimate), Doom2 V1.9, and Doom2 V1.9f, for everything including multiplayer, but when I absolutely have to, I use Doom V1.92.2 or Doom2 v1.92.6.

It's Prboom-Plus-2.5.1.3 though when it comes to watching demos.

I'm a speedrunner, so I use PrBoom Plus.
Sometimes I make mods & maps - I use ZDoom to play them.
I hAte openGL and I don't use ports like GZDoom and GLBoom.

I've recently converted to GlBoom+, its really nice (and I can play huge levels with no slowdown!). The only things I really miss from zdoom are the blood and burn mark decals.

MOTHERTRUCKING GZDOOM WITH MOTHERTRUCKING BRUTAL DOOM.
RIP AND TEAR MOTHERTRUCKERS.

To test my maps, it's back to good not-so-old zdoom.

JDOOM (Doomsday)

Only one I really liked, use it for both SP and MP and it runs fine :)

Admittedly I have not tried any of the others for a long time, so should go and check them out some time.

I do love Dooms gameplay, level design etc, and even though graphics do not mean much to me, I do like all the mods that make it look prettier :)

I have also recently got into modding for Doomsday and loving it so far, so cant see me changing anytime soon.

I think someone would be sure if they don't play Doom anymore.

For myself I rarely play it these days but when I do it's with prboom+

chungy said:

I think someone would be sure if they don't play Doom anymore.

No, they wouldn't. They can be claiming that, but secretly playing anyway when no one's looking.

Could, but I fail to see what possible benefit he gains from making the claim.

chungy said:

I fail to see what possible benefit he gains from making the claim.

The lulz.