Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Jayextee

New effect?

This has come up before, but I never took notice, because I thought only editing gods found new effects. Well, I think I have found one.

So, what do I do? My main concerns are;

1) Verifying it actually is NEW
2) Where the heck would I upload a demo WAD of the effect?
3) Can I get my name up in lights if enough people use my effect?

Well, disregard the third one, as I want my nonexistent ego to stay that way.

1) you could start by telling us what the effect is.
2) you could answer #1
3) you could answer #1

Very helpful :p

Okay, then it's a kind of 'motion blur' effect on sprites. Possible with all the sourceports that support BOOM. K?

I was trying to make a lift when i stumble onto this effect.
I made the walls slide downward instead of sidways. I think you can do this on any port... might be useful when making fulling water or something.

Alright, well I think in this case, #2 should be #1, and to answer #2, you can make it exclusive to your homepage and notify the Doomworld, Doomcenter and Newdoom news people to post an update linking to your page and your WAD. Then you'll find out for sure. Just don't go overboard claiming you invented it; say something like "I came across this effect myself, dunno if it's been done/discovered before or not but here you go anyways" and send off the news.

ezxariarch: It's a well known effect, actually, but also one I stumbled across

Lut: As far as a few people who have tested the .wad I sent them with the effect tell me, it _is_ new. One of them called it the most amazing visual effect he's seen. Although I wouldn't go that far, it is really cool.

He gave me the wad to test. This is what I had to say back then:

"After I first beta tested Jayextee's new wad, I went blind and my eyes retracted and swelled. After the removal of my eyes and the frontal lobe of my brain, I was able to beat the game on sheer instinct, using noise and sound to make my way through."

so booyaka and stuff.

Cough the wad up sparky. You tryin' ta piss us all off? This is the goddamn Doom community!!! You give, we take. That's the way it works...

=)

Transparent lines blocking a missing texture... hah, i never would have thought... nice.

Too bad you can't apply it to lit areas :| That's pretty neat.

I'm thinking of using this effect for level end teleporters, so to speak.

That way, I could boast a level set where EVERY level has HOM.

Heh.