Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sinfis

Survival Doom - A Tech Demo Released!

Hi everybody!

Survival Doom is a mod for GZDoom. The traditional FPS, that we all know, has been changed into 3rd person shooter with prerendered backgrounds and static camera angles, just like in the famous survival horror game Resident Evil.

After a very long pause with development of the mod I realized that I'm never gonna get this mod finished as I planned - the whole Hangar level with real RE style puzzles. I simply didn't have time to develop the mod anymore, and I'm sorry about that! But because of the many positive comments I got earlier, I finally decided to put out the mod as a technical demo so the other Doom modders can use it for learning and take elements from it and maybe even develop it further. :)

Backgrounds have been modeled, textured and rendered with 3ds Max & mental ray, and characters have been modeled, textured and animated with 3ds Max & Biped.

The mod contains the first room of Hangar and couple of zombies in it. There are also some spots where you can get info by "using" them.

FEATURES:
- Resident Evil style gameplay (prerendered detailed background images and static camera angles which will change with player's movement).
- Player can really carry different kind of weapons (instead of just that generic rifle)
- Fully animated 3d-models for player and one type of a zombie.
- Player is able to aim with the laser sight, holding down the altfire button.
- Inventory system that allows player to reload weapon manually when the magazine is empty (thanks to Wildweasel!).
- Synchronized dynamic lighting with 3d models and background images.
- New HUD with RE style EKG.

Gameplay video: http://youtu.be/OM9pgNyaJGg

DOWNLOAD THE MOD HERE: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2158168/survivaldoom_techdemo.zip

I'll publish soon some wip renderings of other Hangar rooms so you can see what I was about create for the mod but never got it finished.

Questions, comments, criticism and suggestions are very welcome and I hope you like what I've done!

Interesting. Only niggling little thing that bugs me is the laser doesn't match up with its dot sometimes.

Oh my god this looks great! I love survival horror! I'll definitely be looking out for this.

Looks awesome, I'll definitely keep my eye on this. Are you planning on changing the zombie footstep sounds? Their footsteps should sound much softer imo seeing as how they are shuffling around.

Looks amazing.

The footstep noise was a bit clunky and distracting, but otherwise, I am intrigued.

Impressive, tho the footstep sounds are too loud and should the former humans really take that much to bring down? Perhaps vary the faces/heads of them a bit to mix it up?

PS: What is the status of this mod?

Thank you very much for your feedback!

Mr. Chris, former humans are maybe too strong, but I thought that the zombies in RE series take also very much hit before they die. :) And that was my purpose, to as faithful as possible to the RE series.

I'm not planning to continue development of this mod anymore, because I'm so busy nowadays. :( So the status is and always will be just a technical demo.