Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TimeOfDeath

Doomworld Mega Project - /idgames link is up

DooMer 4ever said:

Couple of -complevel 9 fdas:

Omnivore
Fading Castle

Both finish, though omnivore has a lot of deaths (I suck). I especially liked Omnivore. That map keeps surprising you :)

Wow, I didn't know that finding the red skull was that hard. :o
(cause it's easy, if you are the mapper)

Thanks for testing. :)

It was probably just me being blind as usual :) Still, personally I prefer as a mapper to put keys in more obvious places, often so that they can be seen well before getting to them. Putting one in a place that you would in most maps find ammo or another non-essential bonus item is something that felt a little weird at least for me. Also, I didn't notice that the skull switch needed red key at first, which is a little unusual though. Must be because I was playing in a window rather than full screen. Still, it might be better to mark it somehow visually.

Thanks a lot DooMer 4ever =) You seemed nervous there at the end before you pressed the switch that let loose the revs and cybers hehe^^

I see the rendering glitches around the towers in the YSK area are still there :S

I haven't forgotten about this, just temporarily sidetracked by other stuff - which seems to be the story of my life.

Think I should make one, too. I mean, if 51 other mappers are doing it, why not? This is going to be a hell of a long WAD when it's done. (Or WAD's, anyways)

NHL Playoffs started recently, so I'll be watching almost two games every day during the first round, but here's a pic of mine:

Posting to say I'll be contributing something at some point. Might take awhile for me to get something in though.

hey I like this!

so I just make a map you determine which mapnumber it is and there we go?

uuuh which format are we using here? GZDOOM style with DECORATE and stuff? or just vanilla?

TimeOfDeath said:

D_GARG - you can make a GZDOOM map with scripts, but no decorate or other lumps please.

ok c:

Havn't forgotten about this! I'm actually still working on layout right now, so I'm about 30% done.

Perhaps I'll give some of these other submissions a shot in the near future...

I saw some things that werent supposed to happen, well, atleast one I know I can fix,
like grabbing the invuln through the door(I never tried opening the door before getting the key so that never happened to me :D).

Things I don't know why they happen: One caco always wakes up before all the others even if you don't shoot,
and one cyber also wakes up for no reason even though its deaf and behind a wall like the other ones.

from first 2 shots looks creepy...

EDIT: http://speedy.sh/aamhR/admdbase-dai-fda.lmp

FDA. sorry for the big part i get stopped, but i've paused for lunch...

works with prboom 2.5.0 (no prboom-plus, sorry)

Played with chocorenderlimits (few homs spotted at the start of the map) and prboom 2.5.0 (bug list above)

Anyway, really great map. is a cool techbase that gradually changes into a hellish place, lots of cool tricks here and there. It's your first map? because it's really beautiful, as a first attempt!

Errors i found playing the map:

http://i.imgur.com/VVfNU.png http://i.imgur.com/aBX79.png http://i.imgur.com/d7Ydk.png http://i.imgur.com/Xb1Cc.png

These 4 sectors are unclosed...

http://i.imgur.com/5fwdu.png

Some items needs to be hidden better, enlarge the sectors where you put them or make a thing like this

Align better this room (or change the metal2 on the window to computer room with the lite3), and add upper\lowered flag to the walls behind you (the rigth window and under the computer screen)

level down the tiny box to 16 map-unit, it could look much better on boom 2.02 and below ports (if you want to keep it limit-removing)

Walter, did you exit in your FDA? There were two zdoomisms that I noticed. Two doors had a walkover line right in front of the door, so you couldn't open the door (in vanilla/complevel 2, the walkover line blocks your presses to open the door).

LoungeStreet.wad

For prBoom, dunno which complevel, probably 9 as usual. If that's what prBoom is set on normally than yeah, it's complevel 9.

Edit: Whoops, hold on, found some bugs I gotta fix...

Edit2: Okay! Replaced the link with a newer version. That should fix some bugs in the restaurant area...

@Walter: Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it.

This is not my first map. I've been mapping off and on for ~16 years, but I rarely release anything (I think this map is my 5th that I've uploaded to the net). But a project that calls for every mapper means I have to make one, doesn't it?

It's unfortunate that the map has so any display errors. Ofc it runs fine in GZDoom and I was hoping that the popular source ports would run it properly.

Those sectors can be fixed, but they are unclosed for the lighting effects (you may have noticed that the bright sector in front of the base entrance doesn't light up the wall). I also use this trick when I want a wall panel and not the whole sector to have a light effect.

The 'floor items' could be hard to fix as well. I put some health and ammo in the floor so they player would get them when I wanted him to.

Next time I might design the map in advance. I just got the 'subverted base' idea and started drawing.

If anyone knows more about vanilla/choco doom and how I could fix these problems, please let me know.

TimeOfDeath said:

Walter, did you exit in your FDA? There were two zdoomisms that I noticed. Two doors had a walkover line right in front of the door, so you couldn't open the door (in vanilla/complevel 2, the walkover line blocks your presses to open the door).

You mean the yellow skull bridge part? Yeah, i found the same bug in that section too, playing the second time with prboom... also, there's a part where there's this secret door that leads you in the soulsphere secret alcove... and yup, i made a quit rage after i searching for reach the red key switch....

Downloaded lounge street, tomorrow i will play it properly....

And to rorix, well actually there a special line id you can use in boom
(261 for ceiling light transfer and 213 for floor brightness transfer) that will make the work without any weird bug...

Example:

And there's no problem, if you want to make a level, just do it! That's the spirit of this thing.... Actually i made a map that for some reason reminds this map, only much more hellish...