Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AirRaid

Speculation Central - Post your retarded theories about Doom 4 here!

In all seriousness...

DOOM 4 might just very well be a straight up remake of DOOM.

It could be like Quake 4. A true sequel to DOOM 1 or 2. Maybe it's a prequel to TNT Evilution or a Prequel to Plutonia?

Also, just wondering... who here hopes DOOM 4 is like Classic DOOM and no Modern Warfare gameplay??

Like basically... gameplay in the vein of Classic DOOM.

Doomguy777, THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I THOUGHT DOOM 4 WOULD BE!!!! FINALLY!! SOMEONE ELSE GETS IT!!!! I mean the part where DOOM 4 will be a true sequel to DOOM 2. I hope it will be a sequel to DOOM 2, that way they could revive the old art direction of the first two DOOMs, and enhance them with the idTech 5 engine.

Excuse the excitement in my voice.

Probably going to be another generic corridor crawler, not looking forward or anticipating this title at all as I know its going to suck, I would be very surprised if it resembles the original DooMs in the slightest regardless of what the game makers say. Lets see.

AirRaid said:

I guess you won't be posting here any more then. Bye!

I really don't want this game to suck, I want to be able to enjoy it

I'm looking forward to it. For all of Doom 3's flaws, I still enjoy going back and playing through it from time to time(on the xbox, more challenging)

I'm pretty sure someone from id already said it will not be a direct sequel to Doom 3. (or indeed, ROE, since that follows on from D3)

I honestly would not be surprised if Doom 4 is doing a different Doom story (a la Quake 1 basically using a simplified version of Doom's story) and ends up telling a story not at all related to any previous Doom storyline.

Like, you're probably still be playing as a marine (who looks nothing like ol' Doomguy - maybe he looks like the Quake Dude instead :P ) on duty somewhere near a UAC base (but on Earth), with no previous history of anything alien/demon-invasiony going on on Mars or anywhere else, and then shit hits the fan, someone screws up and causes Demons/Aliens/Guys-with-bad-attitudes to invade.

Will it be good? I really, really want it to be, but in this day and age with every successful game company trying to sell to as many people as possible (it MUST be console-friendly - screw PC gaming integrity) and Id's recent track record, I'm finding it very difficult to maintain what one might call "an optimistic hope".

Best thing I can think of in terms of the realities of today, is that it will at least prove to be a very inspiring take on the Doom universe that could spawn dozens of exciting ideas in my head.

In "my perfect fictional world" (mind you the one that appeases my own wishes), Doom 4 would be the perfect blend of old-school gameplay mixed with the better/best part of modern game tech, mixed with some entirely new, fresh ideas that add to, rather than subtract from, the old Doom gameplay we all love.
I myself would love a Doom game with a well-written, interactive, but decidedly unobtrusive storyline that's exciting and inspiring to dive into if you're into that sort of thing, but which can easily be ignored (no annoying character forcing unwanted/annoying dialogue in your ears), if all you want is just to blast baddies without concerning yourself with anything else.

A storyline that becomes a fun gameplay-element that somehow blends flawlessly (or nearly so) with old-school, satisfying gunplay gameplay.

I'd love to be positively surprised, to see some creativity from Id - something they seem to have entirely forgotten (or ignored due to the realities and necessities of conducting a modern big-house game business) since the days of old.

Has a "well-written, interactive, but decidedly unobtrusive storyline" ever existed in a video game? Even the most "compelling" narratives in video games are only mediocre in comparison to a good novel or film.

GoatLord said:

Has a "well-written, interactive, but decidedly unobtrusive storyline" ever existed in a video game?

Metroid Prime
Demons/Dark Souls
Killer7
Deus Ex
Half-Life
Command and Conquer (Tiberium series)

GoatLord said:

Even the most "compelling" narratives in video games are only mediocre in comparison to a good novel or film.

...Ok, and? Different mediums have different ways of *telling* stories, but the *quality* of said stories depends on the writers, medium be damned. It's easy to prefer one over the other, but saying "All videogame stories are mediocre at best" proves either A: You don't play videogames or B: You haven't bothered to look hard enough.

BioForge
Max Payne I & II
StarCraft
Star Wars: Knight of the Old Republic
Mass Effect 2
The Dig

[Edit] And hey dsm! Long time no see ;)

GoatLord didn't say:
Has a "well-written, interactive, but decidedly unobtrusive storyline" ever existed in an id game?

FTFY.

Saying all games have no story is silly, but I doubt whether id are going to reinvent themselves and unleash a game with any kind of compelling or elaborate story, beyond an interesting premise.

Doom 1 has a wonderful plotline potential, too bad it's never developed. I really wanted to know more about Inferno, the anomalies etc. Doom 3 simply writes all over it, while Doom 2 discards all that and just focuses on Earth being invaded.

It's Blizzard who make well-written, interactive, but decidedly unobtrusive storylines. You can ignore them and enjoy the game, or follow them and be amazed.

Yes. Characters and dialogue != story. No matter how many lines of dialogue or how many random errands you're sent on in Rage, it will never amount to a story. Where's the conflict? Which events change the course of the game?

You enter the world, but have never seen a pre-apocalypse scenario. No contrast here. You meet John Goodman who informs you that it's dangerous. You never learn why he was there in the first place. He drives you back to their hideout and on the way you meet a bandit clan. They shortly glance at you and drive on, going about their business.

This somehow convinces John Goodman that the bandit clan will kill EVERYBODY now. For some reason. So the logical course of action is to wipe them out entirely. Wtf? Sure, this is conflict, but it's the most contrived piece of crap excuse ever conceived.

After you return from the mission and having successfully slaughtered a large group of people, you return home to realise that....it made no visible difference what so ever. In a later mission you free a resistance leader. This will place authority troopers around the city, but they do absolutely nothing. They're looking for you, but never find you....even though you're jumping up and down in front of them.

We fight the authority because we're told they are bad. We never see why, other than the horribly tacked on mutant stuff. Why would they even do that? It makes no sense. When I played though Rage, I was more inclined to fight for the authority than the bunch of retards who sat around drinking beer all day long.

Nothing. Ever. Happens. In. This. Game. There is no story, only a bunch of almost 100% interchangable missions that do little to nothing to further the plot.

Sorry about the long Rage Rant (lolz), but the point is that compared to Rage (and most modern shooters), Doom 1 (!!) has an excellent story base. Yes, it lacks characters that help create an emotional connection to the story and there is no dialogue to back it up, but the foundation is there and I'd much rather have a great foundation with little else (Doom) than lots of random characters and dialogue with no foundation (Rage).

Obviously I'd rather have both, but if I had to choose...

My favorite stories are in Unreal, Doom, Hexen, and Heretic... where the story progression is told through the architecture with the occasional text and where there is a lot left unexplained, so that your imagination can fill in the blanks. And where your character shuts the fuck up. ;)

GoatLord said:

Even the most "compelling" narratives in video games are only mediocre in comparison to a good novel or film.

In addition to the games others mentioned, Braid would like a word with you.

Shaviro said:

Nothing. Ever. Happens. In. This. Game. There is no story, only a bunch of almost 100% interchangable missions that do little to nothing to further the plot.

So Rage is like Doom 2 + NPC interaction? Heh.

I'm actually glad Doom was left without much of a story. The more extensive and detailed it gets, the more it makes the game feel like some kind of role playing faggotry.

As long as the story does not contradict itself, I'm ok, and even then, it's supposed to be a game, not a goddamned novel.

If these screenshots are what I think they are, I don't think id wants us to see those... :o

These were leaked on the forums before. Some of them are lower quality than others, I'm guessing the lower quality ones are Rage DLC.

I wish game developers would password protect their files without the possibility of removing the password until the manager says so...

Porsche Monty said:

I'm actually glad Doom was left without much of a story. The more extensive and detailed it gets, the more it makes the game feel like some kind of role playing faggotry.

As long as the story does not contradict itself, I'm ok, and even then, it's supposed to be a game, not a goddamned novel.

I agree, doom would not have worked with a story. Unlimited amounts of levels can be made since there is not much of a story to follow. If a story is desired then there are plenty of RPG's to choose from.

I'd love more gothic style settings, gritty castles, dungeons, lava filled caverns, etc... I was never a huge fan of the techy/earth settings, they just don't allow for very much creativity IMO... give me some never-before-seen breathtaking FANTASY based environments, the skies the limit if we are entering another realm (HELL) I think many of us are tired of seeing the future new york crap, we saw that already a dozen times, it's just so boring.

Bring back huge HELLISH monsters too, I did like the ones who were half demon half tech, but I could always do without the human/zombie types.

DeathevokatioN said:so that your imagination can fill in the blanks.

I like these types of games too. "Out of this World", "World of Goo", "Limbo", "Ico", "Shadow of Colosus"... all had minimal story ELEMENTS but felt epic due to the implied story that unfolded over time.

DeathevokatioN said:

And where your character shuts the fuck up. ;)

Quoted for fucking truth.

As soon as Tommy Vercetti started making stupid jokes and telling cops they are robots in Grand Theft Auto Vice City is when the GTA series started going down the toilet. A protagonist that does anything besides panting ot grunting when tired or hurt, or screams when killed is fucking annoying. A protagonist that can't keep his mouth closed can ruin a game for me.

Well, seeing some screens that were "leaked", I have the theory that it may be a PARALLEL story. It's not a sequel nor a prequel, it happens at the same time as Doom 3.

See that big hellish portal in the sky in one of the screens? It probably is the hell portal that the Cyberdemon from Doom 3 was protecting and you eventually destroyed at the end of D3.

I would like to see Doom 4 return to the demonic themes of the old games, but with a new found sense of maturity. The original games did not focus exclusively on Christian depictions of evil of demonic entities, but one could say that the majority of its imagery derived from that source. Demons from other cultures can be extremely interesting; just take a look at this site:

http://www.lizaphoenix.com/encyclopedia/demons.shtml

For instance, the Rokurokubi is "A demon that appears as a human with the ability to stretch its neck to unnatural lengths." I would love to see a creepy former human type enemy that can do something like that, and reach out and bite you. Or the Cambio, which is "The offspring of a human and a succubus or an incubus," a creature that sounds like a creepier version of the cherub from Doom 3.

I would love to see designs of this nature; basically a diverse set of disturbing creatures that all spawn from various ideas or depictions of evil.