Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
John Smith

Cacowards 2012 nomination thread

Something extremely long, full of pointless enumerations, and overall quite boring?

I vote Brutal Doom for Best Gameplay Mod and Beautiful Doom as a runner-up.

DTWID because it's a technical masterpiece and some of the later levels are astounding.

Spawn for being a highly-polished GZDoom mapset that's a pretty smooth play, and the author went through the trouble of adding an achievements system. It's really good once you get past the initial gophering.

I'm backing that Reelism nomination. The game play varies quite a lot thanks to the randomiser, but the overall experience is amusing and highly entertaining. Makes very good use of advanced features for a cartoon-y and slapstick environment and comes with some pretty solid maps for the game play style too.

Reelism really is one of the most brilliant projects to come along in a while. It's a testament to what one can do with the Doom engine's versatility, even if it's using a source port, it's well executed and presented, and it's just great fun to begin with.

that mod doesn't deserve an award, even the worst wad award, also, it's dead anyway, thanks Hobbs

kmxexii said:

Spawn for being a highly-polished GZDoom mapset that's a pretty smooth play, and the author went through the trouble of adding an achievements system. It's really good once you get past the initial gophering.

It should have been ace, but for the fact that none of the doors would open. I wasted an hour of my life trying to find a way past the blue door in MAP02 to no avail. I'm normally quite savvy when it comes to obfuscated mapping, but that was the most obnoxious I've seen since KDiZD. There are only so many times you can read the phrase, "This door is opened elsewhere" before you turf the monitor out of the window.

Reelism gets a vote from me, as well. Hilarious fun, and when/if co-op works, it must be an absolute BLAST with friends.

printz said:

FOH's Wonderland Project, I expect it to win one because it fits the pattern.

It's kind of like Void... if Cyb lost a couple Chromosomes. Seriously, it looks like a complete and utter mess. The only thing surreal about this wad is how the author made some of these areas, stepped back, and said "Yeah, that's totally okay".

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/5784/screenshotdoom201206181.png

My computer went "Hnnnnng" when I was taking this shot.

He made an incredibly spare path, and then filled in all the blank space in a rectangle with torches. No, just no.

Sorry for the discussion, I know, I know, but I haven't seen a Discussion thread for the Cacowards. If there is one, then, uh... whoops.

Seconding Object34 nomination.

Also:

A.L.T.

Totally awesome Skepland didn't get a 2011 cacoward for some reason, but you guys now have a chance to fix this horrible mistake since the wad was recently updated with a new map.

Captain Ventris said:

My computer went "Hnnnnng" when I was taking this shot.

He made an incredibly spare path, and then filled in all the blank space in a rectangle with torches. No, just no.

That area looks fine to me. What's so "no, just no" about it?

The playable area is a single, winding path. Almost anything other than copy-pasting rows of hundreds of torches should have been done there. It's almost as bad as just using a quarter-mile stretch of linehorizon.