Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
K3K

What difficulty do you usually play on?

For me it's HMP or UV. But if I'm playing HR or HR2 It's almost always HNTR.

Depends on the map. HNTR on some is harder than UV on others.
I normally use one that suits me most - in some cases I intentionally use a lower setting to shorten the play time.

Hurt me Plenty for single player most of the time. Ultra Voilence for multiplayer or if I feel like I need a challenge.

Also, for your amusement here is a wad file with 14 new difficulty settings. You need a recent ZDoom, possibly an SVN version to run it. Just run this alongside another wad and have fun. I'm sure there will be one for your liking. ;)

http://speedy.sh/rD7Qu/SkillZ.zip

For at least a year I've exclusively played wads on UV without intra-level saves, unless a map is way too hard for me without them (CC Map29), or just pissing me off with annoying gameplay (AV Map31)

I start at HMP and adjust accordingly. Which means I usually play at HNTR (Doom E1 is probably the only set of maps I can consistently beat at UV without saves) :-P

I always play on UV and if I'm getting my ass kicked, I just try harder and harder and HARDER GAWDAMMIT I'LL KICK YER FUCKIN' DEMON ASS ALL THE WAY FROM HERE TO OKLAHOMA GAWDAMMIT AAARGH!!! I'LL BEAT YOU SO BAD YER OWN MAMMA WOULDN'T RECOGNISE YA, BITCH!!!... huh? sorry.

It used to be HurtMePlenty, because it had the most balanced play. So many maps would throw in monster waves at harder levels, and I wanted to explore the level design.
For that last few years it has been UltraViolent, for some unexplained reason. I have some favorite maps that I like to revisit. Many of the PWAD that I have not played yet have little in new exciting level design. I have a back-log of those downloaded that I should play through.
I have started playing UltraViolent with the rule that I do allow myself to use up more than 100 or 200 health points. With many maps I try to play without ever getting hit, and sometimes succeed. Don't take this at bragging, it takes me 20 to 40 minutes to play a map, and may times much much longer. That is the indicated time. If I have to restart several times because I got hit too many times, then multiply that be 2 or 3.

With this style of play, I do not care for maps with any traps that introduce monsters only a few armlengths away. On those maps I turn on god mode and play through in an entirely different manner.

For me, if I don't play on UV I feel like I won't get the true experience that was intended. But that can be misinterpreted in a couple of ways. For starters, HMP is the DEFAULT difficulty, and the second is D1's E1M1 with the shotgun found in the secret, whereas UV has shotgun guys on start near the left netting it early.

I only believe in three difficulties regardless though, HNTR, HMP and UV. Essentially easy, normal and hard. I prefer hard. I don't like the 50% benefit to items on ITYTD and N! is a joke difficulty.

If I've never played a level before, ITYTD or HNTR, depending on how hard I'm expecting it to be.

If I've played a level a little before, HMP.

If I've played through the level many times before (Say, the IWAD levels) UV, or HMP if I'm looking for an easier game.

If I'm really bored and just want to see how long I'd survive, Nightmare.

Pretty much always HMP these days. If it's something I've played a bunch of times before and I feel like a challenge, I'll up it to UV sometimes. And if a WAD is very difficult and I need to adjust, I'll drop it down to HNTR or even ITYTD as I see fit. Sunder forced me all the way down to ITYTD and even then it was super-difficult for me.

But HMP is definitely my default, even for the IWADs.

However, coop Nightmare! can be absolutely hilarious if you're playing with the right people.