Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ultimatefloydian

Skulltag Mac PPC Version?

I've been looking around all over the place for a Skulltag version that supports the PowerPC architecture on a Mac. Can't seem to find one anywhere. I'm sure the question would be who is still using PPC (Or who uses a Mac in some cases). At the moment that would be me. So does anyone know where I'd go about finding a copy, or to tell me they never created one :P The first option would most likely be more helpful. Thank you!

Something changed in the texture code between the ZDoom revision Skulltag's based on and now. The result is Skulltag goes into an infinite loop on PPC. Theoretically I could go and find what's causing this, but I think the demand is low enough (although I have gotten about 5 or 6 requests now) that I'm better off just waiting until Skulltag starts updating again. I have run it in Rosetta with the texture code disabled so everything else should be working fine.

At this point though, you probably should really consider upgrading to an Intel based system. It's getting harder to compile universal binaries. (Lion doesn't come with a PPC compiler I hear and some libraries, such as Qt, are dropping PPC in their official distributions.)

Gez said:

Not an endianness assumption creeping out?

If you're referring to the texture code, not sure, but like I said it's fixed in ZDoom. If you're referring to Skulltag in general then I was just as surprised as you are. Granted there is a chance I accidentally used a PPC server binary when doing the tests. Regardless, without the texture code working it's not of much use.

I tried running it on a PPC Linux in the past (I had acquired one for my own port, ReMooD) but I didn't put any effort into finding out how to fix it. All I knew is that it infinite looped as previously stated.

It did take some fixes to actually make it compile though.