Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TMD

MAYhem 2012 - Released July 17, durr hurr

Xaser said:

I'm somewhat less psyched about things because of the texture pack chosen (NB_RECOL seems really impractical and I'm afraid it would invite really strange color theming).

I think in the past two decades Doom has accumulated more than enough maps with normal color themes, and a megawad with strange color themes might do some good.

mmm... recoloured textures huh? well i'll see to do something... i have a half idea for the metallic hive...

sorry for the complaint earlier, anyways I have started my map for a rocky lab theme, it' probably going to be some kind of secret underground volcano base. Not done enough to deserve screenshots though. I will work in the coloured textures here and there.

jute said:

I think in the past two decades Doom has accumulated more than enough maps with normal color themes, and a megawad with strange color themes might do some good.

I agree with you here.

Scypek2 said:

I forgot to ask, what about skies?

I forgot to post, "what about skies", indeed. I had a plan that sounds convoluted, probably because it is. That said.

In the interest of sticking to stock textures with colors, skies will be the stock ones from DOOM (THE FIRST ONE NOT THE SECOND) The order, however, will be Episodes 1 4 and 3. Ill patch that as soon as I figure out how to make patches.

Also, made an irc channel

irc.dal.net #Mayhem2012, in case further questions arise.

TheMionicDonut said:

In the interest of sticking to stock textures with colors, skies will be the stock ones from DOOM (THE FIRST ONE NOT THE SECOND) The order, however, will be Episodes 1 4 and 3. Ill patch that as soon as I figure out how to make patches.

In your favourite lump editor of choice (SLADE3 or whatever) you find the P_START and P_END markers (or make them, if you're in a new .WAD) and then paste SKY1, SKY4 and SKY3 from DOOM.WAD into your texture/resource .WAD between said markers, renaming them to RSKY1, RSKY2 and RSKY3 respectively.

Scypek2 said:

Haha, I'm going to be first!

Hell's ravines

https://rapidshare.com/files/2241299759/hellsravines_scypek.wad
- Difficulties
- Co-op
- Hellish Descent theme.

Have fun!

Heh. Certainly delivered on the scythe style.
Word of advice, in order for the map to be remotely completable, I had to find the shotgun which was hidden in a secret. Make the shotgun more accessible, since it will likely be a necessity.

Also, the arena where you fight the cyber is outrageously large and is giving me doom jr flashbacks. really all you need is the areas that are used in the map. Also, the orange goo doesn't do you any favors, and though this is a cosmetic choice, I'd go with plain lava. I never really understood the orange goo textures...maybe it will find use a in a foundry map. Do what you will, it wont change gameplay at all.

A rather good map, given the creation time, otherwise. Actually has some puzzles and such. Updates of submitted maps are more than welcome until the deadline.

skies will be included in an updated texture pack tonight, and placed in OP. If you are so inclined as to test maps with skies, get it. There shouldnt be anything else of importance there.

The central area to my Metal Hive map
The starting area. A hive needs hexagonal honeycombs, IMO
One of the "maws" that this map has. Green generally means interactive, unless it obviously doesn't

I'm putting this on MAP12 so it can go with the orange sky when that's in the resource .WAD. It's quite open at the moment and probably about a third done (at a guess). It's not going to be particularly scythe-like and is very limit-removing dependant thanks to me sticking to the materials and shapes the textures and flats represent.

Here are a few screen shots for my rocky lab themed map
This map will be called infiltration, the aim is to infiltrate a top secret lab, there is going to be a lot of carnage, easy battles to start involving lots of weak enemies and ssg usage but difficulty will ramp up later.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/16/infiltration1.png/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/192/infiltration2.png/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/607/infiltration3.png/

I'll bite... I'll try to put together a normal map for this project. Not interested in doing any of the special function maps though... will stick to an early, non-slaughter map assignment. :) I'm all about the tech stuff so no Hell themes for me... will try a lab-type map.

EDIT: Been working on this for about an hour now... not a complete map-in-an-hour like I did earlier :) but this is what I've got so far...

EDIT: A couple more pics... been working at this for a few hours now.

http://www.eponasoft.com/labpic2.png
http://www.eponasoft.com/labpic3.png

hellsravines max in 2:27

The shotgun only comes in handy for killing the rev at the start, but even without it I *think* you can kill a rev with 50 bullets + pistol.

holy shit these screenshots are exactly what xaser was talking about.

*sigh* This may get a fine toothed comb for color control later but gameplay is what should come first. The fortunate thing about the texture set is that most textures come with a subdued or more sensible hue.

Just try to keep some sort of chromatic theme in your maps. Simply because a texture is there does not mean you have to use it.

Word of advice: You should never have more than two predominant colors ina given area.

In the meantime, here's what I've been working on.

Abandoned Outpost map. Should be a quick and simple one. Note the high presence of blues and grays with slight amounts of green and brown to accent.

40oz said:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. My map actually looks quite subdued compared to Scypek2's and Eponasoft's :o

Thanks for your comment, TheMionicDonut. I agree with you in some cases. Maybe I would send modified version of the map later, but [level secret spoiler]

Spoiler

about the "unimportant" part of the outside terrain, have you actually found 100% of secrets?

Oh, and you're talking about Scythe. That's funny, because I've never really played it.

40oz said:

Personally, as a potential player of these maps I would strongly prefer failed unusual color schemes to successful standard ones. It's good to encourage experimentation even if it sometimes leads to failure, and a deadline-based community project like this is a perfect venue to encourage experimentation.

I've introduced this project to my friend and we're gonna make a map for this together. I'm very interested in participating so I'll try and keep up with updating screenshots when we have enough to show. :)

The theme is gonna be an outpost that descends to hell. Kinda cliche, but we'll see how that turns out.

Hopefully this'll bring my mapping motivation back.

My opinions are generally unpopular around here :) but it must be said... I dunno about anyone else, but for me, seeing the same old textures over and over again gets tedious on the eyes. The color variations of this texture pack are enough to give some diversity while still maintaining the general DOOM feel. It's "the same, but different"... even a minor color change can make it feel less like "the same old thing".

I agree. After all these years it's nice to see something different, even if that means "failures" are more likely. Adventurous texturing and color schemes can make a map much more appealing to me.

I reckon my map is just about done gameplay-wise... it takes me about 10 minutes to minimalist-clear it, and that's of course knowing where everything is. Some of the architecture thus far is lacking, so I'm not finished with the map completely, but I think I'm done placing monsters and items for now. It's challenging to me, so it'll probably be too easy for some of you. :)

It is, without a doubt, the most complex non-ZDOOM map I've ever constructed.

The two layouts certainly look alright, although it's difficult to judge from just a map overview and a couple of screenshots. The proof will be in the playtesting :P

As for my map, I won't be able to work on it this evening or over the weekend, but I'll probably finish it off Monday evening - it's coming along nicely I'd say.