Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NaturalTvventy

The Ultimate DOOM: No End In Sight - Released

Interesting how E3 looks like a mix between originals E3 and E4. Great screens so far, love the architecture of some of them.

K!r4 said:

Interesting how E3 looks like a mix between originals E3 and E4. Great screens so far, love the architecture of some of them.

There's a whole lot'a episode cross-contamination going on, not to mention some IWAD cross-contamination for e4 :)

I assume Lake of Fire has somehow been modified? Other than that, looks awesome! Downloading now.

Marnetmar said:

I assume Lake of Fire has somehow been modified? Other than that, looks awesome! Downloading now.

At this time it's the same map. I like it, so I'd like it in my project. Lutz said he's fine with it. But I'm still a bit back and forth on the matter since it's in DTWID. I'll probably post a poll at some point and see how the community feels about recycling a map.

Ah, I see. Well, if the original author doesn't have a problem with it then I don't think it should be an issue.

EDIT:

Just finished E1M1, I'm really liking this so far. The map seems to be non-linear enough to provide a good amount of exploration, but not to the point of the player getting lost as is with the case with a lot of my maps.

The texturing and architecture also gives off a NRFTL-ish feel, except it's not ridiculously hard. Nice job!

Marnetmar said:

Ah, I see. Well, if the original author doesn't have a problem with it then I don't think it should be an issue.

EDIT:

Just finished E1M1, I'm really liking this so far. The map seems to be non-linear enough to provide a good amount of exploration, but not to the point of the player getting lost as is with the case with a lot of my maps.

The texturing and architecture also gives off a NRFTL-ish feel, except it's not ridiculously hard. Nice job!

Glad your first taste was enjoyable. All of e1 and e2 should be pretty manageable, although getting lost may become a thing later on. We saved the ridiculously hard stuff for e3 and e4 ;)

Oh dear -- where'd this come from? O:

Great to see the beta's up for public consumption. Just posted about it on ZDoom for good measure, too. :P

Not to be a spelling nazi or anything, but E2M1 should be spelled "Receiving Station". That "i before e" rule can be tricky sometimes. :)

I just browsed the screenshots and this looks like it's amazing. I'd expect nothing less from NT, Xaser, and Lutz. Great work fellas!

Vordakk said:

Not to be a spelling nazi or anything, but E2M1 should be spelled "Receiving Station". That "i before e" rule can be tricky sometimes. :)

I just browsed the screenshots and this looks like it's amazing. I'd expect nothing less from NT, Xaser, and Lutz. Great work fellas!

Fixed!

Xaser said:

Oh dear -- where'd this come from? O:

Great to see the beta's up for public consumption. Just posted about it on ZDoom for good measure, too. :P

Sweet dude. Good call, as this was tested almost exclusively with zdoom! That's a good way to test vanilla WADs, right?

The curse of the oversought Biosphere map from DTWiD's development is finally dispelled. That's NEIS (maximum pun score)!

These maps are unique -- real unique. NT and Xaser make for a fruitful combination with all the elaborate, upscale architecture and oft-wacky texture selection. In fact, the way in which some of the textures are used and some of the ideas presented make for the best case yet against the notion that the stock textures are no longer a valid option when looking to break boundaries in interesting and effective ways.

Stamps of approval.

All-righty vanilla experts, I need some help with e1m9. It's not working right. If you load it with -nomonsters everything about it is fine. However, when there are monsters present things break down. First, sector 23 doesn't close/wait 30/open like it's supposed to. Second, sector 51 doesn't start lowering right away as intended. Instead there seems to be quite a delay... maybe until sector 28 opens up after 5 minutes? Whaa?

If anyone knows why....

Thanks,

NT

NaturalTvventy said:

First, sector 23 doesn't close/wait 30/open like it's supposed to.

Notice that sector 44 closes just fine. Perhaps dividing sector 23 into 8 different sectors will fix this?
Same problem with sector 51 I guess.

Memfis said:

Notice that sector 44 closes just fine. Perhaps dividing sector 23 into 8 different sectors will fix this?
Same problem with sector 51 I guess.

Holy cow Memfis splitting the sector actually worked! What made you suggest that?

The next big issue is e2m5. To get to the secret exit I use line action 37 (lower floor/change texture) that affects a ton of sectors. This creates the issue of the game crashing if the player touches the sector. Is there a way to fix this? I have yet to understand this error completely.

I just noticed that sector 44 closes with no problems so I guessed that merging sectors fucked up something.

btw Eternal suggested another solution to this problem: remove things 40, 41, 47, 48, 54, 55, 61, 62 and the doors will close properly. Magic! :) Somehow, when two things are too close to each other, they can prevent random sectors from moving. You'll need to ask port gurus for a better explanation.

I have yet to understand this error completely.

Basically, you can't have more than 30 moving platforms at the same time: http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Moving_platforms_limit

Memfis said:

I just noticed that sector 44 closes with no problems so I guessed that merging sectors fucked up something.

btw Eternal suggested another solution to this problem: remove things 40, 41, 47, 48, 54, 55, 61, 62 and the doors will close properly. Magic! :) Somehow, when two things are too close to each other, they can prevent random sectors from moving. You'll need to ask port gurus for a better explanation.

That's wacky. The vanilla DOOM engine is way too sensitive... it needs to toughen up a bit!

Basically, you can't have more than 30 moving platforms at the same time: http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Moving_platforms_limit

Nah, this is something different, specific to this particular action. I've had issues with it in the past.

NaturalTvventy said:

The next big issue is e2m5. To get to the secret exit I use line action 37 (lower floor/change texture) that affects a ton of sectors. This creates the issue of the game crashing if the player touches the sector. Is there a way to fix this? I have yet to understand this error completely.

Whoops. I know I fixed this at one point, but the changes must've slipped through the cracks at some point. Send me the latest version of the map if you've modified it since the beta and I'll doctor it up for you. ;)

Basically what's happening is if you have two adjacent sectors lowered by the same "Floor Lower to Lowest (Changes Texture+Type)" action at once, Vanilla Doom will sometimes incorrectly try to copy the texture+type data from the other sector being lowered and set the type to some garbage data, which causes the crash when the player enters the sector.

Xaser said:

Whoops. I know I fixed this at one point, but the changes must've slipped through the cracks at some point. Send me the latest version of the map if you've modified it since the beta and I'll doctor it up for you. ;)

Basically what's happening is if you have two adjacent sectors lowered by the same "Floor Lower to Lowest (Changes Texture+Type)" action at once, Vanilla Doom will sometimes incorrectly try to copy the texture+type data from the other sector being lowered and set the type to some garbage data, which causes the crash when the player enters the sector.

Heh whoops, I missed that. So how do you fix it? Anyways, if you have indeed fixed it, send it my way. The beta version of the map will be the newest. I don't think I've touched e2m5 in a long time. Thanks Xaser.

e1m3 driving me crazy. The lift walls are really neat, but I can't get the red key. will try again now.

EDIT, I think I know what to do more or less, but I think this is annoying me :P

Hellbent said:

e1m3 driving me crazy. The lift walls are really neat, but I can't get the red key. will try again now.

Yea, no one likes that part. Except me, 'course.