Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NaturalTvventy

The Ultimate DOOM: No End In Sight - Released

Xaser said:

Basically what's happening is if you have two adjacent sectors lowered by the same "Floor Lower to Lowest (Changes Texture+Type)" action at once, Vanilla Doom will sometimes incorrectly try to copy the texture+type data from the other sector being lowered and set the type to some garbage data, which causes the crash when the player enters the sector.

I ran into this with a TNT2 map I made. I fixed the issue simply enough by moving the triggering linedefs around so that there was no way to trigger the two adjacent sectors so that they were moving at the same time.

But now I know why it happens. :)

In other totally unrelated stuff, this project is amazing. The moment a finished version of this hits the streets, I am off to pay a visit to the Cacoward nominations thread.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

In other totally unrelated stuff, this project is amazing. The moment a finished version of this hits the streets, I am off to pay a visit to the Cacoward nominations thread.

Sweet dude. But are you sure you'll still be around in 2017?

Ah I kid. Thanks for the high praise. It is mighty nice to hear.

NaturalTvventy said:

Yea, no one likes that part. Except me, 'course.

got 100/100/100 on that there level. Took me long enough.

TimeOfDeath said:

FDAs

Oh nice, thanks. Those are great to watch. Note to self: move red key away from ledge on e1m3.

Sometimes I wonder if people think the power weapons and bigger monsters are disabled in episode 1. :(

Pacing. Thanks for playing through.

Xaser, you might want to take note on how TOD dies on e1m7 and make it a little quicker, or not inescapable.

Downloaded the first 2 episodes and I am impressed. Looking forward to the full release.

Memfis said:

Will there be new music in the final version?

I doubt it. We all like the original tunes a lot.

Thanks for the replays TOD. I'm thinkin' I need to seriously tighten up the health and ammo for most my work.

NaturalTvventy said:

I'm thinkin' I need to seriously tighten up the health and ammo for most my work.

Everyone seem to think that after ToD does some FDAs of their work :P
Just remember everyone is not ToD, heh

Hi, just two things I noticed

E2M7 Stuck pinkies

E1M4 Slime trail

NoobBait said:

Hi, just two things I noticed

Thanks! I've noticed quite a few stuck demons throughout. I kind of like the slime trails though... gives it a vintage feel ;)

TONS of fixin' to do with this thing. cdoom is a pain for me to use because it oftentimes screws up my screen resolution, which is a hassle to fix. But clearly I'm in need of some serious cdoom testing.

aldiboronti said:

Finally cracked e2m3! Took me a while to figure out how to reach the exit. I'm enjoying these maps immensely.

Hells yes, I love that map. Nice and compact, but complex enough to keep the brain functioning. Plenty of action too! Xaser is a genius.

j4rio said:

E1 FDAs, all pistol starts.
http://filesmelt.com/dl/neis-e1-fda-j4.zip

Fun fact: I've never played e1 of original doom. Actually I don't know any map of doom entirely besides e1m1, e1m8, e2m8 and e3m8. I guess I have something to FDA laters, heh.

Danget, those lmp's crash on me when I try to load 'em. Did you use a specific source port? I tried prboom & cdoom.

I told myself that I wasnt gonna start playing this until the full thing is done but I'm really itching to crash through this. That episode 4 looks incredible! I cant wait!

j4rio said:

I used prboom-plus v2.5.1.1.

Hmm probably need a new version of prboom.

40oz said:

I told myself that I wasnt gonna start playing this until the full thing is done but I'm really itching to crash through this. That episode 4 looks incredible! I cant wait!

Let me know if you break down and give it a whirl :)

Ah man! so awesome! You guys make an excellent team. The first episode was killer! Also congratulations xaser for making such a cool biosphere with no vines and burnt trees :)

I'm not sure how I feel about the Episode 2 yet, but I'm dying for E3 and E4.

40oz said:

Ah man! so awesome! You guys make an excellent team. The first episode was killer! Also congratulations xaser for making such a cool biosphere with no vines and burnt trees :)

Thanks, sir -- your Biosphere concept is actually exactly what inspired the style of that map. The southern tip is even a homage to one of the screens if you stand in the right spot. :P

Good to hear it's been enjoyable to most thus far. Thanks for the demos too, ToD -- can't believe I missed that E2M4 map-breaking door silliness. :P

Great job, guy`s! That`s what I call GVC (Good Vanilla Classics).

By the way, we`re thinking in the same way, I`m using almost the same texture patches and flats for my WIP as you :).

Finishing Episode 2 and moving on to Episode 3 I couldn't help but notice that the ideas seem to have dried up. It seems to be a retread of the original with a few minor changes. This certainly isn't a criticism, I just wondered why the same amount of creative brilliance hadn't gone into this episode.

Xaser said:

Thanks, sir -- your Biosphere concept is actually exactly what inspired the style of that map. The southern tip is even a homage to one of the screens if you stand in the right spot. :P

Oh yeah! I did recognize that, I thought it was just coincidence though. I don't remember ever finishing that map, did I show you a screenshot? I gotta check my map pile folder. I totally pictured large outdoor areas and nukage rivers. You did a way better Biosphere than I would have though.

If any of you guys think angles are as awesome as I do, I think this map merits an editor shot.

If these were maps for DTWiD, I probably wouldn't score them very high in my review, but by themselves, they're just some really good fuckin maps.

I should mention that I got stuck in E1M6 on the west part and had to noclip out of of it. I'll replay the map to see if I can duplicate the error, but one door wouldn't open for some reason, so I ran back to the slow elevator and a door shut behind me and I couldn't figure out how to get it open again.

How I could miss this project? Ehh...

Doesn't matter, I love the screenshots. Seems classic, but also, a bit more than original style.

I've finished the second episode and I can say that this has been a pleasure to play, the designs feel old school and evoke the atmosphere that made Doom so great in the first place, while also being intricate enough to keep me entertained, great stuff. All authors involved are awesome! When the full version is released this should get a cacoward for sure.

40oz said:

If these were maps for DTWiD, I probably wouldn't score them very high in my review, but by themselves, they're just some really good fuckin maps.

It is odd that you say this, because 2 maps from an old beta of this actually did end up in DTWiD. Specifically, E2M1 and E3M4 from the old beta of NEIS became E2M1 and E3M9 of DTWiD respectively.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

It is odd that you say this, because 2 maps from an old beta of this actually did end up in DTWiD. Specifically, E2M1 and E3M4 from the old beta of NEIS became E2M1 and E3M9 of DTWiD respectively.

Somethin' like that! NEIS contains an older version of Receiving Station, and occupies e2m1 of both NEIS and DTWID. If I'm not mistaken, Proving Grounds (e2m2), Forgotten Caverns (E3M5), and Enigma (e1m8) were all in the DTWID beta. Lake of Fire (e3m9) occupies the same spot in both wads.

DeathevokatioN said:

I've finished the second episode and I can say that this has been a pleasure to play, the designs feel old school and evoke the atmosphere that made Doom so great in the first place, while also being intricate enough to keep me entertained, great stuff. All authors involved are awesome! When the full version is released this should get a cacoward for sure.

That would pretty much be the greatest accomplishment of my entire life.

40oz said:

I should mention that I got stuck in E1M6 on the west part and had to noclip out of of it. I'll replay the map to see if I can duplicate the error, but one door wouldn't open for some reason, so I ran back to the slow elevator and a door shut behind me and I couldn't figure out how to get it open again.

hmm really? The area with the yellow key? I think I see how that could happen actually. It shall be fixed. Thanks for pointing that out.

EDIT: Nope, I take it back. Not sure how that happened.

aldiboronti said:

Finishing Episode 2 and moving on to Episode 3 I couldn't help but notice that the ideas seem to have dried up. It seems to be a retread of the original with a few minor changes. This certainly isn't a criticism, I just wondered why the same amount of creative brilliance hadn't gone into this episode.

Do you have your episodes off? Do you mean episode 2 is a retread? There's a bit of that - e2m1 like the original, e2m5 is like DOOM's e2m2 for a bit. My excuse is that e2m2 is my most favorite map ever. That's gotta be about it though as far as retreading.

NaturalTvventy said:

Do you have your episodes off? Do you mean episode 2 is a retread? There's a bit of that - e2m1 like the original, e2m5 is like DOOM's e2m2 for a bit. My excuse is that e2m2 is my most favorite map ever. That's gotta be about it though as far as retreading.

D'oh! Ignore me, I'm a complete idiot! I just realized that I was actually playing the original Episode 3 and your beta upload contains only the first 2 episodes. It's been so long since I played the original that I actually believed it was different somehow.

Looking at the screenshots for Episode 3 I can see that the awesome originality of the first 2 episodes is definitely in evidence here. Looking forward to playing them! Please forgive my dumb error; the megawad rocks!