Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TimeOfDeath

Slaughterfest 2012 - NEW Final Final Version is up

j4rio and ToD, one of my main concerns about the map, were all the switches relatively straightforward to find, or did you find it to be too much of a switch hunt?

j4rio said:

Little late, but here, a demo. It's not max nor FDA. I think it was really neat up to BFG. I would probably go as far as to simply remove BFG entirely (in UV), as it was imo perfectly doable without it considering the really generous ammo and powerups and I felt it doesn't have the casual BFG spam nature.
http://filesmelt.com/dl/kyka07-j4.zip

Thanks for the demo j4rio. Man, your playing style is pretty impressive. In regards to the BFG, you are pretty spot on. In the original, there was no BFG, and it was much more of a challenge without it. I just added it in before I submitted it to this project, because, well, Slaughter maps have BFG's, amirite? Also I thought it might make the last few fights less time consuming. But I will at least move the BFG on UV to much later in the progression of the map.

Also needs to add up difficulty a bit during last encounters, cacos + spiders just can't do much of a threat alone. Invulnerabilities felt also unnecessary.

Heh. The invulnerabilities seemed necessary to a mere mortal such as myself, but your demo showed it is perfectly doable without them, though you did have a number of near death moments all the same.

I might change at least one of them.

And I will do some work on the final spiderdemon/caco fight. Perhaps some free roaming revenants maybe?

Anyway, great demo, it made good viewing all up. :D

TimeOfDeath said:

heh, I ran out of cells when I played it before, but whatevs. Btw, at least one secret couldn't be triggered cuz the sector was too small to step on.

Yeah, I thought the cell count was balanced a little more than j4rio made it look.

I'll check out that secret too.

I made a few UVMax attempts on HotRWaB and here they are:
http://www.mediafire.com/?if3511zeps8z91t
Text file included with more info.

The first two I die about 5 minutes in to the map but on the third I beat it,
with 100% kills and secrets and 92% items in 37 minutes and 13 seconds.

And yet again I'm working on a new map, its about 95% done but I guess its better to finish it before uploading.

By the way, what do you think about the multiverse? Anything that needs to be changed?

TimeOfDeath said:

heh, I ran out of cells when I played it before, but whatevs. Btw, at least one secret couldn't be triggered cuz the sector was too small to step on.

Cool to see more interested mappers! Btw BloodyAcid, startanarena link worked for me?

Nope, I get "Sorry, but your file wasn't found!"

Oh, sorry about that, I just clicked the link before and saw the link there but didn't click it. I'm guessing Phml deleted it.

I don't do that. :)

Most likely, filesmelt decided it was such a weak map it didn't belong on their servers.

Some links in OP expired, maps as well as demos. ToD won't be watching hockey too much for now so I hope they can be brought back. :)))

Stairway To Helven

I had 600 monsters and 2 secrets leftover when I exited. How do I reach those?

Oops, I haven't downloaded all the maps + demos. I'll go through the list next week. Still 2 rounds of hockey left, but only 4 teams now. :)

I have found two red skull keys, but where's the yellow one?
Is it a mistake?

Done with finals, got an idea of a map I want to do and the first bits and a theme done, perhaps I'll finish it. I was going to work on it today but might hang out with friends. I'm also doing this without having looked at basically any other maps in the thread heheh.

You are legally required to complete something, AB. :)

ArmouredBlood said:

Claiming a spot on the front page. There will be at least one map here by 31 December 2012.

Well then, I guess my afternoon has suddenly filled up. And ya I remembered that post, glad I didn't make one like that in the sf2011 thread heheh.

Alright you bastards, another map for ye.

http://www.mediafire.com/?zgynnye9ccmbnm7

*You will need cc4-tex to run the map.*

This one is polished, and probably won't need any changes done unless someone thinks it's too easy or there is a bug that I somehow missed.

In other news, Shore of Hell sucks, and I don't want it included in this wad because it is a disgrace. If someone thinks they can save it, go for it, but I won't work on it any further.

Enjoy.

Rayzik said:

In other news, Shore of Hell sucks, and I don't want it included in this wad because it is a disgrace. If someone thinks they can save it, go for it, but I won't work on it any further.

Do you still have v1 of it? I thought it was better, although v1 and v2 were so different it could have easily been 2 separate maps.

j4rio said:

Do you still have v1 of it? I thought it was better, although v1 and v2 were so different it could have easily been 2 separate maps.

Unfortunately I do not, I searched through all my backups and couldn't find a version of it.

I also forgot to mention that the map I just posted needs cc4-tex to run. My apologies!

Heres a new map by me, just short and straight to the point, very much inspired by grain of salt's maps for last years wad.
Total Recall
http://www.mediafire.com/?67ff467hg6r2na9
I thought the name was quite appropriate as you feel like you have been here before due to the similar map style.
Just plays with the normal slaughterfest texture pack
I will put co-op and difficulty settings in later. Just see whether UV needs a little spicing up

Max on unleashthefire. This was basically first attempt after I iddqded through it, so it's sort of half-FDA.

http://filesmelt.com/dl/unleashmax.lmp

Some issues -
1. Crashes upon exiting. Happened in iddqd run and in demo as well. No idea why.
2. Overabundance of barons. They are not much of a threat in arena like that and are tedious to kill. I'd swap them for something different.
3. Mandatory pick of megasphere to trigger teleporting monsters. It's usually a bad thing, and this isn't an exception. If you save megasphere from battle before, you'd be almost at full-health at this point. Probably a switch would be more usable.
4. That very same battle activated by picking megasphere is a little dumb. Mancos in higher numbers are terrible when used as teleporting monsters. I'd exchange them with revs, but they'd teleport with some delay so infight doesn't happen immediately.

it's all relatively minor stuff, all in all a lovely map and that cyber with crushers was mega cool idea.

cannonball said:Total Recall

Awesome!

FDA
http://filesmelt.com/dl/recallfda.lmp

Just minor stuff that popped into my head while playing -
1. remove secret tags
2. remove invulnerability, exchange with megasphere
3. make a long (at least a minute and half +-) lowering floor out of exits, it felt very tempting to simply exit and leave those heaps of archviles happily living after.
4. Those archviles at the beginning felt a little luckbased rather than tactical. You could hardly dodge them even if you stood as much below them as possible, but in case they got hit by rev, they granted free pass. I had an idea that you could remove those 3 archviles in corners (keep the one in the middle), and when you lower each platform with megasphere, each time one would teleport in right onto the crate with the powerup. It'd definitely feel more fair.

FDA for Total Recall. Very nice! Liked it even better than the GoS maps it was inspired by as this one is much easier, the kind of difficulty I like. 5/5 map as far as I'm concerned.

I don't agree with your points, j4rio.

1. secret tags - don't see the problem with these. I actually got an use out of these, using the HUD, it let me remember I still had one megasphere I could pick.
2. invul sphere - I think it's perfect. Choosing when to use it for maximum effect makes for much stronger strategical variety than throwing another megasphere, and can be a lifesaver on first playthroughs.
3. exit - if people want to exit, I say let them exit. Timed floors are often tedious, especially on small maps like this, especially if someone manages to clear the archviles in say 30 seconds and then has to wait an extra minute.
4. beginning archies - again, I find these perfect. They're not overwhelming yet can't be ignored, making the start a frantic juggle of priorities regarding which attacks to dodge and which stuff to kill. As there's only 3 sides with them plus the center you have one free corner from the start to fall back to, and lines of sight to play with (or hugging the wall to take minimal damage). Remove the archviles, and the start becomes a simple matter of circlestrafing and clearing the imp horde.

1. Hmm, that's a good point. Still, it may be nuisance in maxdemo if you didn't need one and are required to trigger it.
2. I admit I hate invulnerabilities with a burning passion. If somebody takes one during demo, I just fastforward until it runs out. It's up to CB, I'd keep it in lower difficulties.
3. I wouldn't mind free exit, but the archvile battle is quite incredibly well balanced unless you unloaded all ammo into walls. Player would actually be robbed if he did skip it, and anyone with freely available exit would skip it.
4. Yup, totally didn't think this through. Might have something to do with very productively spent last week. Gosh, I need a sleep. I still think you shouldn't get hurt if you stand right under them.

2. I admit I hate invulnerabilities with a burning passion. If somebody takes one during demo, I just fastforward until it runs out. It's up to CB, I'd keep it in lower difficulties.

I think in this particular map it'd make even demos more interesting - the optimization of that invul being key for an optimal time.

It's true the difficulty that suits me might be boring to others and if CB choose to change it, I could see UV being the exact same with a megasphere instead of the invul, the current thing placement becoming HMP. I'd scream bloody murder if the map was nerfed further in HMP though. :P

...Actually, I would like one additional thing on HMP, a berserk pack to be able to finish up a few stragglers despite overly wasteful ammo usage. I almost ran out of ammo in my playthrough, a mere 4 or 5 more wasted shots and I would have had to punch things to death. That berserk pack could be on UV too for that matter, eventually replacing some medpacks, more of a safety net and not really overpowering, or so I'd think.

3. [...]and anyone with freely available exit would skip it.

Well, I didn't. ;)

I just don't see a need for every fight to be mandatory - if anything, optional stuff you miss can give incentive to replay a map.

I can admit I am perhaps making a big fuss out of nothing on that one and a lowering floor might not be the annoyance I make it out to be in this particular scenario, given a reasonable timing. IMHO the baseline should be more or less the fastest the player could run through the square and kill all 16 archies, assuming every other monster was already killed before.

j4rio said:

Max on unleashthefire. This was basically first attempt after I iddqded through it, so it's sort of half-FDA.

http://filesmelt.com/dl/unleashmax.lmp

Some issues -
1. Crashes upon exiting. Happened in iddqd run and in demo as well. No idea why.
2. Overabundance of barons. They are not much of a threat in arena like that and are tedious to kill. I'd swap them for something different.
3. Mandatory pick of megasphere to trigger teleporting monsters. It's usually a bad thing, and this isn't an exception. If you save megasphere from battle before, you'd be almost at full-health at this point. Probably a switch would be more usable.
4. That very same battle activated by picking megasphere is a little dumb. Mancos in higher numbers are terrible when used as teleporting monsters. I'd exchange them with revs, but they'd teleport with some delay so infight doesn't happen immediately.

it's all relatively minor stuff, all in all a lovely map and that cyber with crushers was mega cool idea.

Are you a keyboard only player? Your movements made me feel like you might be, but that's just me, lol.

I figured out why it would crash on exit; it's because I once again forgot to convert the title graphic to doom format from .png. So that's fixed.

Those barons I think I might swap with the mancubi in the yellow key room. Of course, monster count would be modified a good bit. It would be a little more interesting since mancubi are bigger, and would block up the main chamber making it a little bit more challenging instead of the circle-strafe mania like in your demo.

I think I also might re-build the yellow key room and indeed make it a switch activated fight. The sphere will be available at any time on the side opposite of the entrance after that, and I believe I will take your suggestion with the revenants replacing the mancubi.

Thanks for the feedback, interesting to see differing perspectives on the map. Anyway as the changes needed were minor I thought I could do them on a revision break,
Updated version
http://www.mediafire.com/?wro0i4804460wxz
Changes
Beserk pack placed behind player at start, another save your ass item.
Invulnerability changed to a megasphere on UV only, just see how people feel about that overall, it's easy to change it back.
Blue armour at start for easy, instead of the green armour, just to be nice :)
little detail touches to the outside area and exit areas.

I put the invulnerability in for speedrunning reasons, I thought it would be useful for say eliminating the archviles quickly, which caused real pain in both your fdas,but that can be up for discussion later. Actually would be interesting to see the effect on a uv max attempt, if the player could save a few minutes as they can literally blast through the central area where most of the monster congregate then that in itself is a reason to have it.
Secrets wise, I don't know why but I hate 0/0 secrets :P hence I marked the 3 out of reach items as secrets. I don't any real problem with that tbh, but that's just me.

A mystery map popped up in my PM box, one can only assume conjured through the arcane powers of symmetry (perhaps that's why they don't want us to use it). I took the liberty of bundling my FDA within the zip, on the off chance the strange powers that shall not be named might stumble upon this post.

It requires SF2011-tex. Loved the looks and atmosphere, and it's hard to believe that tune is a MIDI. As unfinished as it was the gameplay seems promising, my one complaint being the floor bumpiness.

Phml: That link on FileSmelt doesn't work for me, it just opens a tab and loads indefinitely.

Thread: Updated Unleash the Fire.

- Modified the Red Key fight heavily. Barons have been replaced with mancubi, four cyberdemons, and a dangerous number of everyone's favorite hitscanner. Also, the Red Key pedestal is now trapped; I'll leave that to be found out.
- Ammo balance is probably a little off for this fight now; the large amount of in-fighting that resulted from these changes made the fight a lot less player involved, or at least, less gun and more run.
- The Yellow Key room received a layout *and* fight update. The room is oblong now and has a switch pillar in the middle to start the fight. Hell Knights remained as the primary assailant, and the mancubi were replaced with much more teleport friendly revenants. The column like objects in the center house the yellow key and a small supply cache, and lower after about a minute. The revenants teleport in after roughly half that time has elapsed, allowing a healthy dose of infighting and projectiles. The arch-vile ambush remains unchanged.

Enjoy.

Phml: That link on FileSmelt doesn't work for me, it just opens a tab and loads indefinitely.

Odd. That's not the first time I hear something along those lines, although Filesmelt always work for me. Anyone got a suggestion for a reliable mirror that doesn't need you to jump through hoops to upload anything (i.e. no login, no obnoxious ads, one click to upload and that's it)? Tried Mediafire above but it seems to want me to do all that bothersome stuff.