Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

What are you playing now?

Running through Scythe II. The while time I'm playing I can't help thinking I should have done this sooner.

When I'm not working or building my own VariableZ -wad, I've been playing Temple of The Lizard Men. Awesome shit, stellar scripting and nice use of custom weapons, items and monsters.

I'm blazing through the original Scythe once again on Scoredoom. The BFG's alternate fire and the smart bombs makes Map26 much, much easier, especially with the monster swarms after getting the skull keys.

Edit: Scythe 1's done, now focusing on taking on Scythe 2.

Edit2: So far, up to Map08 in Scythe 2.

@Archvile78 - Man, how long did it take you to get that far? I pretty much beat the original Scythe in a matter of hours in Scoredoom. (The BFG's alt-fire REALLY helps out in maps 26 and 30.)

A few days but it's not like i record everything in one go, there's time where i can record a good dozen videos in an hour or so, depending how long the maps are. In the case of Hell to Pay there's some lenghty maps in there.

The DICKIE series was a fun play. The mix of styles and themes reminded me very much of the more eclectic megaWADs released in 2011. Looking forward to playing Wiles's future stuff when I get to it.

Also played Earth. Ritenour pulled some great FX like the now iconic crashing waves, and I like the puzzle aspects, but a lot of the underground stuff is just too dark and the combat not that compelling. The semi random monster layout is an interesting innovation but when mixed with maps like the Mines of Moria I was just frustrated by bumping into shit. Still, there's a ton of eye candy and the fact that the "randomizer" means most of the baddies are already looking for you makes for some interesting gameplay.

Tonight I wanted to spend some time dooming, but I didn't want to start another hour-long ill-fated attempt at AV Map27 (like what happened yesterday), and I didn't want to start playing a new wad, so I decided to finally finish Scythe. The last time I played it I was stuck in Map29 on UV, so I decided to turn the difficulty down to HMP (which I hadn't used for ages) and go through the last 2 maps. How hard could it be?

So basically I finished Map29 pretty quickly, and I was doubting that I even needed lower the difficulty in the first place. I assumed that Map30 would be just another easy IOS battle. And then I loaded the map...

I ran through a small cave, landed in cramped platform with a few barons, hit a switch which lowered a wall, saw a cyberdemon behind the wall, ran away through a hallway, triggered a trap unleashing a shitload of revenants and few arch-viles, BFGed them, ran through another hall, opened the door, and was confronted by two Cyberdemons. Yeah...

..this isn't you're grandpa's HMP. :P

But I took the challenge of beating it, and it actually turned out to be a really awesome level. I'd go as far to say that it's one of best Doom maps I've played so far. The gameplay was fucking amazing and it looked pretty cool too. I liked how each of the (or at least 2) thirds of the map were a homage to another level. The center was obviously based on E4M2, and the northern part was based on Map07 of Dark Covenant (surprising considering how it's not a particularly famous wad). Not sure what the southern part is based on though.

So it's a really fucking good map, but can't imagine how tough it must be on UV. On HMP it was just as hard as some of AV's most difficult maps! I was able to finish it though, and I also managed to find a neat (probably intentional) speed-running trick that would make only the yellow key necessary for completion.

So tonight has been unexpectedly awesome :)

Most recently been playing Demonfear in co-op, got to MAP17. Was inspired to play by comments on these boards saying it has short levels, which I'm a sucker for. Some of the earlier maps are a little cramped but it seems to get better as it goes so far.

@Processingcontrol - Scythe II's Map30's also quite an epic way to end a megawad, with each mini area being a revisiting of each of the mini-episodes' themes, and a secret area being an ice area. Also, as expected in the first megawad, it's one hell of a final level.

Edit: Speaking of Scythe, I'm now up to Map20 of Scythe II, having beaten the two secret levels. (I simply warped to map32, because fuck Map31's impossible-to-reach secret exit.)

gun_psycho said:

@Processingcontrol - Scythe II's Map30's also quite an epic way to end a megawad, with each mini area being a revisiting of each of the mini-episodes' themes, and a secret area being an ice area. Also, as expected in the first megawad, it's one hell of a final level.

Edit: Speaking of Scythe, I'm now up to Map20 of Scythe II, having beaten the two secret levels. (I simply warped to map32, because fuck Map31's impossible-to-reach secret exit.)

Yeah Map31 really needed just another second or two. Be sure to have at least glanced into the first Scythe before Map32, though.

Map30's areas are actually direct rehashes of areas from maps 5, 8, 12, 18, and 24 design wise, but with different monsters. +1 for omitting the way over-exhausted standard IOS ending and using something else instead.

Side commenting in the vein of Map31, Map28 of the first.Scythe is also almost impossible on UV, and mandatory to boot.

Played Neil Ziring's Deimos Subway, a fun little bit of '94 nostalgia. It's neat to see the actual differences between the original and the 1994TU. Also finished Ritenour's Phobos, which I liked more than Earth. The latter was just bland between the endless caves and uninspiring outdoor areas, save for his few clever texturing tricks. Phobos shows more careful craft and has much better opportunities for him to pull off neat tricks to evoke a sense of realism.

Currently playing Cyberdreams. Some of the early puzzles were a little bland (mainly MAP08, yawn) but once you get past the first episode things get really fun (especially the secret levels!).

I'm at Map25 of Scythe II. After that, I'll take on Speed of Doom.

Edit: By after that, I mean after I finish up Scythe II. (That, and beat the big battle at Map30 that awaits me.

Edit 2: And Scythe II is finished. Next up, after a bit of a break, Speed of Doom.

I'm mid-review (about 70 minutes in!) with Temple of Verdance, which feels an awful lot like a Deus Vult II map. This is the author's (Jeff Banks) first release too. Still some 300+ monsters to go too (out of the starting 1312, boosted to nearly 1500 now by Archies and PEs), although my kill rate is accelerating thanks to the map getting more like a slaughter map as time goes on.

May actually have to stop for the night though, as it's exhausting me!

I just played Nostromo's Run and Soldier of Fortune. Both are large, sprawling maps, but in different ways.

Nostromo's Run, well, everyone knows about it, Rich Johnston's finest piece of work, with many places to explore, and his excellent architecture which are seen again in Strain. One of the best wads of 1995.

Soldier of Fortune by Lisa Moore, is a different case. It's a sprawling map from the clever and fiendish puzzles which you'll have to solve in order to progress further. A lot of these puzzles involve hitting a switch which opens a door or raise a platform, and having to make a run for it before it closes/raises up again. This is also apparent in the large circular room which has a huge nukage pit containing moving platforms holding Hell Knights and Baron of Hell. To get the blue key, and escape, you had to wait until the central platform is getting close to the bottom, then hit the switch that lowers the nukage falls, but you have to touch the lowered central platform in order to lower the upper nukage falls, in which one side has the blue key, and a switch which reveals another switch which activates the only escape route, which is also the entrance to the circular area. Another tricky puzzle, is exiting the room which holds the yellow key, you must gain access to the upper area at the end of the room by hitting certain walls that lower other walls, and one will reveal a flight of stairs to reach the high platform. You have to enter the area which contains a hint to escape, but you must also hurry back to the door you entered, otherwise, if you wait 30 seconds before then, the door will close and you'll have to start over again. Finally, there's figuring out the switch combinations, hinted in the library at the starting area, where hitting the right combination will reveal entry to a secret (BFG). Soldier of Fortune is also tough because it's pretty tight on ammo, and you must be sure to conserve enough so that you'll have enough to take out the enemies. Pretty big and tough level, and while the puzzles are tricky, they're thankfully not as obtuse as the puzzles offered by Jim Flynn, Bob Evans, and Paul Schmitz, whose maps and puzzles are clear influence on this map. The map overall, is pretty entertaining, with its excellent architecture, clever puzzles, nasty traps, messages which hint on how to solve the puzzles, and midi soundtrack by Rich "Weeds" Nagel. Lisa Moore is a really talented mapper, and one of the best female Doom mappers of all time. If there's anyone who does reviews of Doom wads/megawads, this is one to talk about since it's really good.

Spent the weekend running through :
Actinium, a short, 2-map wad that I found to be a bit annoying, though not necessarily bad. the constant lift action got really frustrating after a while.

Anthony Connor's AXE wads, and I plan on playing the other two fairly soon. Enjoyable maps from 1996/97 that, despite aging, remain a fun little challenge. DL these if you like wads with that classic touch.

Also Demon Snare, which was a quick excursion through some cramped quarters, but for the most part, it wasn't too bad a playthrough.

the doom2 zdoom thing but the difficulty ramps up too much too quickly--kind of annoying. After watching Prometheus tonight it makes the wad more immersive, tho, as there are some good similarities between the two (the base-like levels (i'm no level 2) and what's in the water...)

Playing Hell Revealed and embarrassed to say that for the first time getting past Map06 without losing interest, and infact it's actually getting really cool, both author's styles are growing on me. On Map11 now.

DeathevokatioN said:

Playing Hell Revealed and embarrassed to say that for the first time getting past Map06 without losing interest, and infact it's actually getting really cool, both author's styles are growing on me. On Map11 now.

Map13 is where it starts to get really good. Even if you lose interest, there are a choice few must-play maps in that wad not worth missing (Map13, Map22, Map24, Map25, Map26 being the highlights for me).

Currently playing through Speed of Doom, having beaten Map33 before starting on Map01 and stopping at Map06. I'll continue later.

Funny thing about Map33 is that all the weapons I obtained from that map carried over to Map01, making things a bit easier. I'll still lose them after Map11, though.

Garrulismo - garullo.wad

Not really sure what's going on in this wad, with the framed pictures of people, and zombie/SS Nazi armies, but it's pretty fun.