Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TMD

MAYhem 2012 - Released July 17, durr hurr

FDA for canal0505. TheMionicDonut, I'm not sure if TheMionicDonut will accept this map as is, because:

TheMionicDonut said:

Word of advice, in order for the map to be remotely completable, I had to find the SUPER shotgun which was hidden in a secret. Make the shotgun more accessible, since it will likely be a necessity.

I never said anything about super shotgun. Now you are putting words in my mouth. Ten points from applicable wizarding house. :P

Any reason why its not completable without it? Im moving some things around* and adding ammo. Is the SSG a necessity with those changes applied?

Also, I need to repatch the texture files because it blows up prboom. That will be up soon.

After what seems to be forever, I've finally grown over my fear of working with Doom Builder 2.

Moti and Kongming present:

Right now the map is called 'Inspiration'. It's an outpost, containing a number of various enviroments (Tech base, dungeons, etc.) and ends up in hell.

The shots are very WIP, taken in Freeze mode. Luckily this texture pack is very easy to work with.

I'm pretty sure the two of us can finish this map before the end of this month. Not aiming for anytime soon, but not too late either :)

Any feedback is welcome!

Phobus said:

As for my map, I won't be able to work on it this evening or over the weekend, but I'll probably finish it off Monday evening - it's coming along nicely I'd say.

Lies, lies and damnable lies!

Yeah, RL came along so work has been delayed... by one day! I'll do it this evening instead :P

Cold Day In Hell
Thought I would make a second map, sort of unusual at times looking hellish castle level.
http://www.mediafire.com/?35iuris5xpv8ygb
Some pics
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/259/cdih4.png/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/204/cdih3.png/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/152/cdih2.png/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/252/cdih1.png/

The architecture is a little basic, but it's ok for a speedmap

We are nearing completion with the layout and gameplay, so far there's still about a week of progress left.
We are given until the end of the month for a reason, right? :P

Also if anyone was hoping for a Scythe-themed map (short and action packed), well... Might want to forget about the 'short' part.

Currently the map stands at about 25 minutes of gameplay and 494 monsters.
Screenshots should be available when me and Kong have something more decent to show.

Just my two cents regarding a progress report.

Due to continuing delays in my mapping time thanks to RL commitments, I'm not quite as finished with this map as I'd hoped. As I'm away this weekend, I've decided to package up what I have so far and give it to you lot for testing, so here's a download link.

The map is a complete layout, all textured up and stuff. Gameplay is sort-of half-implemented, with the first couple of battles in and all of the weapons (including stuff for DM) ready in the map. All 4 secrets are fully implemented and aside from the remaining monsters, items and decorations, plus difficulty modes and co-op monsters, it's finished. There's a bare-bones text file in the .zip, but all you really need to know is that it plays on MAP12 (so that the orange sky will be used when that's in the resource .WAD)

Enjoy - feedback will be appreciated! :)

EDIT: Here's a map-editor shot, just to give people an idea of what they're downloading:

new stuff from my map.
It comes out a episode 2 tribute under acid lol, whatever i think to be near the completion of this level... enjoy screenshots!

Neat! Ill give all these maps a torough runthrough and maybe start a second map myself after my school stuff finishes up next week. I like what is seen so far.

here's my wad:

http://speedy.sh/GaShU/mayhem-dai.wad (v1)

title: meat grinder
style: metallic hive
map: map01 (for testing purpose, if need to be changed i'll change the slot)
build time: 12 days on and off
new midi:not for now...

everything is in beta here, feedback is highly appreciated bye.

Probably i'll made another map, but this time could be something much more short and fast than this...

RC1 download here: The Metal

Plays on MAP12 for the time being still. Pretty brutal (for me) on UV. The plasma gun battle was pretty much the central part of this map idea for me, despite the fact that it's totally optional as far as level progression goes. The initial bout in the main room on UV is also rather on the tough side. Feedback is appreciated!

FDA.

At first, I didn't like it at all. Enemies already awake and able to shoot at me right from the starting position behind my back, and after that, generally being surrounded with low health and minimal space to maneuver. Admittedly, it didn't help I thought that green flat looked like poison/toxic even if it isn't animated, so I held off jumping down for a while. Still, the cramped feel didn't end there. I'm reminded in particular of that teleport with a door and monsters at what seems like a mere 128 pixels distance, leading me to have to dodge the teleporter as much as the fireballs. Then there's bumping into walls and all. In these situations I feel like I'm fighting the game's limitations rather than demons, gets too meta for my taste.

Then I entered the plasma room and I rather liked it. It's a fun little fight.

Despite the aforementioned frustrations, it seemed like the ammo and health balance was right. Enough to get by with some to spare, but not so much to make managing either of these resources irrelevant.

FDA for Cold Day In Hell.

Other way around! I started liking it, but I ended up quitting. There's several cheap moves that, in my opinion, take away from the map. The architecture and monsters give you the illusion you can speed forward, but there's plenty of situations with infinitytallness ruining that, and doing so awkwardly. The part where two spiders are crawling down and two archies pop out up felt utterly unfair, at that point I gave up (knowing even if I were to take it slow, that part would end up being luck-based regardless) and just ran around getting killed over and over. Additionally, it seemed fairly easy to run out of ammo.

FDA for Infiltration.

Much better, much more enjoyable. :)

That said, playing it reminded me of two shared annoyances with the other map:
- thin, hard to press switches
- instant floors

Ammo and health balance seemed off on UV. I got the feeling despite the apparent non-linearity, there was one right way to play the map and I was doing it wrong. I ended up leaving after a death in that big cave right after the beginning, as I had no motivation to re-do the same parts. Might give it a go again later.

Phml said:

FDA.

At first, I didn't like it at all. Enemies already awake and able to shoot at me right from the starting position behind my back, and after that, generally being surrounded with low health and minimal space to maneuver. Admittedly, it didn't help I thought that green flat looked like poison/toxic even if it isn't animated, so I held off jumping down for a while. Still, the cramped feel didn't end there. I'm reminded in particular of that teleport with a door and monsters at what seems like a mere 128 pixels distance, leading me to have to dodge the teleporter as much as the fireballs. Then there's bumping into walls and all. In these situations I feel like I'm fighting the game's limitations rather than demons, gets too meta for my taste.

Then I entered the plasma room and I rather liked it. It's a fun little fight.

Despite the aforementioned frustrations, it seemed like the ammo and health balance was right. Enough to get by with some to spare, but not so much to make managing either of these resources irrelevant.

Thanks for the frank opinions. I have to admit I was struggling to bring myself to finish making this map because I wasn't 100% satisfied with the layout I'd made. It only lent itself well to brutal and almost unfair monster placement in UV in my mind. Glad my favourite part was good for you too at least :)

EDIT: I noticed that the liquid flat I'm using in this map isn't animated in ToD's FDA as well, but it animates fine for me in ZDoom. Perhaps I should just use the normal water flats?

Phobus said:

EDIT: I noticed that the liquid flat I'm using in this map isn't animated in ToD's FDA as well, but it animates fine for me in ZDoom. Perhaps I should just use the normal water flats?

I noticed this also in other texture flats and patches, since it use the ANIMDEFS lump,that works only for zdoom and compatible ports, meanwhille boom uses the ANIMATED lump (and SWITCHES for switches texture, if any), also the bug on skies it could be easily fixed changing the name lump from SKYx to RSKYx.

After this tecnical stuff, let's present the v2 of "meat grinder":

http://speedy.sh/GamZU/mayhem-dai.wad

(what do you think about "the golden age" as a title for this level?)

- added more ammo in the demon trap in the yellow switch room
- changed PE in cacos on hidden meat hive
- changed few details in the initial room, added two signs as a reminder for upper floor on the lift interconnection at the start...
- added few details in the brovine room near that e2m5 tribute section...
- added a new midi taken from mechwarrior 2

Yeah I kinda goofed up in Slade with the sky textures, it crashes a few versions of boom. Not sure about why the liuid animations failed, Ill see to that as well

The trouble with the sky texture is that SKY1-3 are defined twice in the TEXTURE1 lump. Removing one set of duplicates should make it work.

Phml said:

FDA for Cold Day In Hell.

Other way around! I started liking it, but I ended up quitting. There's several cheap moves that, in my opinion, take away from the map. The architecture and monsters give you the illusion you can speed forward, but there's plenty of situations with infinitytallness ruining that, and doing so awkwardly. The part where two spiders are crawling down and two archies pop out up felt utterly unfair, at that point I gave up (knowing even if I were to take it slow, that part would end up being luck-based regardless) and just ran around getting killed over and over. Additionally, it seemed fairly easy to run out of ammo.

Thanks for the brutal but totally justified criticism of the map, I fixed several points of the map, mainly putting a teleport in the secret you found and also put up a small monster closet by the blue key, which also has a telport which takes you to the start room. The red key trap has not changed much apart from removing one arch vile, it's not intentional for the player to not see that coming as the wall lowers as soon as you get off the lift. That room also hides a few welcome goodies.
Other fixes mainly involve removing a few monsters here and there.
http://www.mediafire.com/?s9i5nfb62v034v8

As for mInfiltration, I will move a few things around to get the gameplay balanced though I feel that blue key is the hardest to get at the moment, but in the end the blue and red keys are quite far away but open to the order of acquisition. My advice is to clear all the rooms you can in the outpost building you start in, that will get you the yk and put you in good step for the long journey ahead.
Edit - oh yeah I'll fix the stupid switches eventually as well :)

It's not too late to join this is it? The metallic hive concept sounded interesting so I started cobbling together some ideas:

FDA for CDIH v1.2. I like your changes. Still, deaths, deaths, deaths, deaths.

I thought it was annoying how those cacodemons bunched up behind the walls (near linedef 251, 290), essentially forcing you to step forward the red key room and get shot at from both sides at a time where low health is likely.

The cyberdemon itself seemed way overkill at first, up until I realised there was a cell in the mancubus room and two more cells near the red key door I could have picked up beforehand. In the end it's fine, but I'd think it'd be better if that precious cell ammo was directly next to the BFG so you can't miss it.

Additionally, the lift giving access to the BFG is a S1 action, so if you don't grab it right away, you are screwed. I believe SR would work better, on anything but the first playthrough the difference is irrelevant anyway.

also in CDIH v1.2, you should make the windows in the hallway leading to red key door impassable, I got knocked outside by an archie. not a huge deal though

Cold Day In Hell V1.3
I though I had fixed the switch to the BFG, I was mistaken, it's now a SR function. Also the cells by the red key door have been moved to where the first HKs are which is on the main path and impossible to miss.
The Caco situation has been resolved by restricting movement to a smallish area, they should bunch up by the windows now so whilst they pose a threat, they should be easily dispatched now.
A few graphical changes and a little extra health in the final outdoor section of the map.
http://www.mediafire.com/?8bmxvbx3cv4meyy

i just drop this here:

http://speedy.sh/f9VFt/derpmn3d.wad

Title: Derpman 3D: The Other Game
Build time: started some months ago as a speedmapping, but never finished. Today i'll added a new exit and many other tricks, i hope it could be added to the project also if isn't purely made in this month...
Music:E1M8 Music from Doom
Style: Hellish\Cave labs

feedback is always good, enjoy.