Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tatsurd-cacocaco

TAS (tools-assisted) demos

Brute force works this way:

For example, I want that in tic 340 I have succeeded doom2 map16 glide, so I have something like this:

tic 337: MF50 SR50 (directly running east to the glide)
tic 338: MF50 SR50
tic 339: MF50 SR50
tic 340: MF50 SR50 and this is the tic where it just hits the red bar, instead of gliding.
Now I am at tic 340 and go for tools -> brute force, "tics to brute force 2"
This means that it brute forces tics 340 and 339. (If tics to brute force is 5, then tics 340 339 338 337 336 are brute forced, but in this example it is 2)
Checking tic: 340
Player X > 1648 because player's X-coordinate is more than 1648 when the glide is successful
Player Y > 0 here I put just something that is always true because Y-coordinate doesn't matter in this case.

Then I hit start and after one minute it finds this:

tic 338: MF50 SR50 this tic remains the same because it wasn't included in the brute force
tic 339: MF50 SR49 this tic was included and it only changed SR50 to SR49
tic 340: MF32 SR24 and here the X-coordinate is 1654 and the glide is successful

The brute force starts from SR50 -> SR0 and MF50 -> MF0.
Notice that the brute force does NOT use ANY strafe LEFT so you have to turn your face to correct angle. It also does not insert any turn tics.

Slower, but easier way would be to get armor and do a rocketjump off an imp. Good luck with spectres though, i bet it would be really annoying to manipulate the bastards:p

It also does not insert any turn tics.

Actually, xepop told me it does add TR0-TR10 tics and i think it did in my tests.

Then I hit start and after one minute

Also, the bruteforce can take a long time to finish, most of glides i tried took hours to be found by xdre, even though i was always lining things up beforehand so that the coordinates are good and only 2 tics are included into a bruteforce. Even with 2 tics you have more than 818 million cases to calculate, with 3 it's way more than that (~2*10^13). Maybe my CPU sucks though or i was doing something wrong:p

Would be cool to have user-defined restrictions for a bruteforce too. Also including a Rnd/linedef skip values.

jongo said:

Actually, xepop told me it does add TR0-TR10 tics and i think it did in my tests.

It did, but now it doesn't.

most of glides i tried took hours to be found by xdre

You were lucky considering the bug I had there :p
e: lucky to find anything :p unfortunate to ever waste your time with it

Would be cool to have user-defined restrictions for a bruteforce too.

Yes, that's something I probably should do.

What you mean by Rnd/linedef skip values?

xepop said:

I don't have time nor willingness to look for prboom_plus' savegame bugs

At least one of them is fixed in 2.5.1.4

-  // killough 3/26/98: Spawn icon landings:
-  if (gamemode == commercial)
-    P_SpawnBrainTargets();

+  // killough 3/26/98: Spawn icon landings:
+  if (gamemode == commercial)
+  {
+    // P_SpawnBrainTargets overwrites brain.targeton and brain.easy with zero.
+    struct brain_s brain_tmp = brain; // saving
+
+    P_SpawnBrainTargets();
+
+    // old demos with save/load tics should not be affected by this fix
+    if (!prboom_comp[PC_RESET_MONSTERSPAWNER_PARAMS_AFTER_LOADING].state)
+    {
+      brain = brain_tmp; // restoring
+    }
+  }
Are there any reproducible examples of another issues?

Yeah, that's one I forced myself to figure out and send to bugtracker. Doom2 maps 06, 13 and 15 desyncs alot. Later in map17, too. Something with lifts? In hock's demo if you set savepoint on tics 1992 to 2104 it desyncs and again in 2364-.

xepop said:
What you mean by Rnd/linedef skip values?

I mean that it would be good not only to have textboxes where you can enter the desired X&Y values, but also the one for Rnd number (possibly this extended search would be disabled by default). If it's enabled, xdre would try to get a certain Rnd value at a certain tic by adding FW to tics in a specified range. For example, if there is a 5second place with no monsters in a demo, one could use a chaingun to roll a rng quite effectively and hopefully get no desyncs later on. This is rarely needed, but sometimes it could be useful, and also the bruteforce wouldn't take long.
Same with linedef pass, but it would just do the standard bruteforcing and check whether the linedef was skipped (i don't really understand what makes you skip linedefs, is it just speed or some random stuff, so maybe this feature is useless).
These are just suggestions based on what xdre already outputs. Same could be done for keygrabs maybe as well.

plutonia.wad MAP01 2-way Coop UV-Speed Built run in 0:04.

Any ideas of whether/how it's possible to get 0:03? It seems out of reach, but i'm not comfortable with coop tases, so i could be missing something :)

pc01b004.zip

Please read this post. Moved to Misc.TAS demos, edited your posts so that we could know they are about Scythe.

ClumsyDoomer said:

I found Akse's [url=http://doomedsda.us/lmps/789/3/sc01n008.zip]most unlucky uv-max attempt in 0:21

I've got 0:20 a long time ago. It's uv-max/ tyson/ reality. This one is from my Scythe E1 uv-tyson/reality. Please do not upload (dsda) it yet.
CompLv 2

sc01t020.zip

Fantastic! I don't want to sound lame, but how does those door boosts works?

Akse said:

I think it`s because your MX and MY numbers keep raising (i know thats terrible wording), and i think your player angle HAS to be on 32,64,96,etc, but i may be wrong. I`ve done it quite a few but im not entirely sure if thats right or not.

Is it possible to do with every door and how exactly should I do it?

Akse said:

Get close to the wall and then run towards the door/elevator. It must be really close, something like .000800 or closer. The closer the better, but if you are exactly at .000000 it will just reset your momentum after it reaches 15, I think, and I think you can't do them from every corner. For example, when going north with that trick, the wall must be west from you. I'm not sure if it is a MUST, but I haven't succeeded with wall being east from me, WHEN going NORTH.

When going west or east, the wall must be north from you, if I recall correctly.

Akse said:

Is it possible to do with every door and how exactly should I do it?

It's also possible with simple walls or bars, for example scythe map08, the exit is behind the bars, which lower by W1 action. It can be seen in the attachment.
That's Scythe maps 1-8 nomonsters coop in 0:58 (waah! :D)
Don't upload it do DSDA, please.

I have one question, too: is it possible to finish scythe map07 in 0:00 and map08 in 0:06 in coop? :)
EDIT: All right, I forgot to attach demo, to take the other link: demo

I think not, but I didn't test it. Also I suggest Looper to test this, too, because I can't successfully do any new non-tested tricks. For me, everything hangs on luck. :)

For my 4000th post, I wanted to do something special. So I made a TAS of ORIGWAD where I go all fist and beat the crap out of barons as fast as I can manage at 10% speed.

Here's a video if you don't want to download

In case you don't know my failed max run is my most viewed video, so I thought this would be appropriate.

orig338t.zip