Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Philnemba

DOOM 3 BFG Edition - Debut Trailer

Quoting from Youtube description:

"DOOM 3 BFG Edition is the ultimate collection of groundbreaking games that defined the first person shooter. It includes DOOM, DOOM 2, DOOM 3, and DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, as well as the 'Lost Mission.'"

Basically Id software is rereleasing all main Doom games for PC, Xbox360 and ps3. Probably pointless for most people here since most of us has PC version of all of these games(with the exception of this Doom 3 'lost episode'). I'm planing to get it for the xbox360 cause I know some xbox live friends who's been wishing for this soft of thing to come out.

Youtube trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNJ1GHYHQf8&feature=g-all-u

So any thoughts on this?

DoomUK said:

I'm interested to see what the "Lost Mission" entails, but besides that I can't say I'm waiting breathlessly for it.

Apparently the "Lost Mission" is a new, seven-level single-player campaign. No word on who's making it.

Quick chat with Tim about the new stuff

Willits says id's recent acquisition by Zenimax, parent company of Bethesda Game Studios, has allowed his studio the freedom to take a risk like spending a year tweaking a near decade old game and releasing a 'director's cut,' an opportunity few studios get. Most games are rushed out the door, barely finished and then left to fend for themselves. For id, the chance to go back and right some Doom 3 wrongs, is an opportunity they've relished. Adding a new mission is just a bonus.

The new Doom 3 "Lost Mission" will put players in the boots of "Bravo Team," the company of space marines players were originally sent to save in Doom 3. The Lost Mission begins with one of the Bravo Team members waking up in a Wraith kill room, and having to help a group of scientists shut down a teleporter to Earth, before the demons invade and ruin everything.

The Lost Mission takes place concurrent with the timeframe of the Doom 3 story, and will help fill in some of the gaps, as well as offer players a few hours of new content. Combined with the tweaked, revamped and prettier Doom 3 and the two original Dooms, the total package will be, in John Carmack's words: "quite a long offering."

I'll be getting this for the PS3. It would be cool if PWADs could somehow be transfered to it.

Doom 3 is old enough now that just about any stock PC you buy at a liquidation store for $70 can play it on ultra settings, and anyone who doesn't already own at least two copies of Doom and Doom 2 must have been born yesterday. I'm meh about the 3D, but that's because I don't own a 3DTV.

I like that they fixed the logo up a bit. I might rent it to try the lost mission, assuming it isn't included as on-disc DLC.

Bravo Team?
Here's to hoping for a "Then John was a zombie" reference at the ending.

I imagine that it'd be foolish to hope for a discount since I already own the game.
I also hope there's a limit on the armor's flashlight. I think it'd kill the tension if you could have it on all the time.

Not that eniterely excited about it, but I do like how it contains Doom 3 and the expansion pack and Doom and Doom II. Kind of a nice toss for those waiting for Doom 4.

Really only interested in the new missions though seeing I have all these games already for several different platforms.

Meh... I'm sure I could download mods that could make Doom 3 look better on even my modest machine. Plus, I question how far they'll go in terms of graphical improvements and whatnot. On the other hand, it is nice to see Doom 3 brought to current-gen consoles. I mean it's old, but it never got a console release on a system that could handle it without major scaling down. And besides, I don't complain about the original Doom being re-released for every system under the sun.

One thing, though, I'd like it if they released the new content for PC, too. Not because I'm looking for a freebie or whatever, it's just that I prefer PC controls over a gamepad for FPS games.

geekmarine said:

Plus, I question how far they'll go in terms of graphical improvements and whatnot.

I'm not seeing anything strikingly different in the trailer.

Depending on how much the visuals improve I might just pick this up when it comes out.

geekmarine said:

One thing, though, I'd like it if they released the new content for PC, too. Not because I'm looking for a freebie or whatever, it's just that I prefer PC controls over a gamepad for FPS games.

They've confirmed that it's coming out for PC as well.

Janus3003 said:

I imagine that it'd be foolish to hope for a discount since I already own the game.

Steam does this sometimes (heck, they're doing it right now for Crysis 2 Maximum) so it isn't out of the question

They need to check out the sikkmod and replicate the graphical improvements from there. Plus some other little mods like Nitro gore and flashlight mod. Don't forget Trent Reznor sound pack.

doom_is_great said:

They need to check out the sikkmod and replicate the graphical improvements from there. Plus some other little mods like Nitro gore and flashlight mod. Don't forget Trent Reznor sound pack.

The "duct tape" flashlight is in as an armor-mounted flashlight. Sikkmod and Nitro Gore probably aren't in so as to ensure that the game runs at 60 fps on all consoles. The Reznor sounds are probably a legal mess.

The levels are built around fan feedback. Tim Willits acknowledged that the levels were too dark, there was not enough ammo and action and that these things are going to be fixed in the new mappack. They even made a new boss for it which is kind of cool. http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/5/30/3051918/doom-bfg-edition-details

Based on the article, it is also quite reasonable to conclude that this is a precursor to the Doom 4 annoucement.

I think the trouble with Doom 3 was that it didn't have a constant fear of death and restricted player movement (among other things) to be a proper survival horror type game, but the weapons lacked punch and the action wasn't quite frantic or visceral enough to be a fast paced shooter like the original Doom.

I felt that Doom 3 was trying to be both things at once and succeeding at neither when it came out.

Livo said:

I think the trouble with Doom 3 was that it didn't have a constant fear of death and restricted player movement (among other things) to be a proper survival horror type game, but the weapons lacked punch and the action wasn't quite frantic or visceral enough to be a fast paced shooter like the original Doom.

I felt that Doom 3 was trying to be both things at once and succeeding at neither when it came out.

Yeah I agree, although they really improved the combat in RAGE, everything about the guns was fantastic, from sounds to the actual shooting. It seems that one game has good graphics and bad gameplay and the other has good gameplay but bad graphics.

Ohhhh this looks good :)

Any extra Doom stuff is good in my books!

Cant say im over excited about this, but will most likely buy it if its not too expensive!

Problem is I loved Doom 3, but I had to MOD it to make it pefect in my books.

Mods I had :-
1) Flash lights on 'some' guns, but they were smller then the main flashlight, so you still needed it.

2) Better sounds, think they were sounds used in the Alpha and were much better gun sounds, the pistol and shotgun sounded weak. Amazing what a better sound can achive!

3) Bodies vaporizing after death, NO, they had to stay, so mod fixed that.

4) Less bouncy grenades, now they act just like the ones in the Doom trailer when Doomguy rolls that grande at that zombie.

5) Enabled 'bloom' so lights looked better.

So this release sounds good, but will have to re-tweak it all again, unless there is a scroll bar for bodies to stay, better sounds.

Hopefully the better lighting, flashlight option and other improvements will be decent in this release.

Be good if Doom 3 and the expansions can all be access in the same game menu :)

OH and hopefully they give proper widescreen support! I can mod the INI's etc for it, but the HUD is stretched which is annoying! I would be amazed if they did NOT fix this though.

Cool stuff though. Will have to get just to have the new box look lol

You know, the only thing I'm a little disappointed at is the Flashlight change. I mean, sure this Half-Life sounding suit light may be more handy, but if you can just keep it up whenever you want, I feel it takes away from what iD tried to do with Doom 3. Am I seriously the only one who liked the limited suspense that the lighting issue caused? Now unless it has a battery feature (Also like Half Life), well maybe it'd work a bit better. I dunno, I just prefer the flashlight maybe for this game, cause I think it worked best. Sure some areas were rather dark, but the only thing this really inhibited was "Oh I can't see the wall". Now maybe if it was only included in the new map pack, then I guess I'd be alright with that.

Meh, I'm not impressed with this "remastered" nonsense as I see zero graphical upgrades other than the dynamic lighting.

However, I am a bit interested in the Bravo Team missions but after 8 fuckin' years I would have thought they would have put that shit out as DLC for like $5 or so.

Clonehunter said:

You know, the only thing I'm a little disappointed at is the Flashlight change. I mean, sure this Half-Life sounding suit light may be more handy, but if you can just keep it up whenever you want, I feel it takes away from what iD tried to do with Doom 3. Am I seriously the only one who liked the limited suspense that the lighting issue caused? Now unless it has a battery feature (Also like Half Life), well maybe it'd work a bit better. I dunno, I just prefer the flashlight maybe for this game, cause I think it worked best. Sure some areas were rather dark, but the only thing this really inhibited was "Oh I can't see the wall". Now maybe if it was only included in the new map pack, then I guess I'd be alright with that.

It might have worked in some other game but not in doom. People hated it because it slowed down the gameplay.

Clonehunter said:

You know, the only thing I'm a little disappointed at is the Flashlight change. I mean, sure this Half-Life sounding suit light may be more handy, but if you can just keep it up whenever you want, I feel it takes away from what iD tried to do with Doom 3.

I don't know, I think that being in a pitch dark place with a spotlight just in front of you limits you to tunnel vision.

The only change I would have made with the flashlight is that you had to use the pistol and hold the flashlight. So you can either have a badass gun and darkness, or your pistol and a flashlight.

Beyond that, Adding a permanent light defeats the horror atmosphere they were going for.