Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kinsie

Doom 3 Gets Lost, Finds a BFG

Bethesda/Zenimax and id have just announced Doom 3 BFG Edition, which bundles up Doom 1, 2, 3, Resurrection of Evil and a new "Lost Mission" for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. The PS3 version promises support for those new-fangled 3D televisions that everyone's already forgotten about. If you click here, you can watch a trailer with your eyes.

And this will be the first generally available release of Doom I and II in Germany since forever.

I'll reserve my opinion until I see a full feature list. I hope they added cooperative multiplayer.

I don't understand. On Bethblog they said that it's remastered for Xbox and PS3 but at the end of the video there is a box with PC as well. Perhaps the new levels are only for consoles?That would suck BIG TIME.

P.S Am I the only one who sees this as a warm-up for the Doom 4 announcement?

EDIT: Right now, I am 78.3 percent sure that I am right http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/5/30/3051918/doom-bfg-edition-details

Omg, I'm getting excited again(although I shouldn't) They said that the levels are built around fan feedback which means that what we see in these new levels is an indicator of what we'll see in Doom 4.

And there's an HMD I am excited about : http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/30/3052191/doom-3-bfg-edition-announced-for-the-fall-we-try-it-with-john

Also, a message from John Carmack in the comment section:

There were three other HMD’s there, including an HMZ-T1. All of the ones you mentioned have fields of view that are 45 degrees horizontal or less, which means they cover less than 20% of the visual field that the Rift does (90 degree horizontal x 110 degree vertical). Even HMDs with five figure price tags generally only offer a 60 degree diagonal FOV. The Sony also has 50 milliseconds of video processing lag, which detracts a lot from the immersion.
People that haven’t actually used HMDs have an incorrect opinion of what the available options actually deliver.

I already own both Doom 3 and RoE for both the PC, as well as the special Xbox version of both of those games.

.....and guess what, I will buy this for my PS3 anyways just the same.

Then I will own 3 different versions of all the Doom games on 3 different platforms. 4 if I count my copies of PSX Doom/Final Doom :)

I wonder if the game will get a graphics update to take advantage of the PS3 and Xbox 360 and if the versions of Doom 1 and 2 are the same versions as the ones being sold on Xbox live arcade.

EDIT: I wonder if those who own all of the Doom games on STEAM can upgrade to the BFG version at a discount. While I want this on my PS3 I would also be nice to have the new levels on the PC as well :)

I wonder if there will be anything new on the PC version. Will Doom and Doom II be bundled with good old Doom95 or the original DOS binaries with DOSBox or have they developed some updated engine that works good in Windows 7?

I personally think Doom 3 is almost beyond help, but I'm curious to see what this new episode tries to do. I hope they consider throwing in an official PC port of No Rest for the Living along with Doom 2. (Hopefully these will run in a modern port, rather than DOSBox on the PC, too. I'd be more than happy with the engine used for the 360 versions, since it's basically hi-res vanilla.)

Dragonsbrethren said:

I personally think Doom 3 is almost beyond help, but I'm curious to see what this new episode tries to do. I hope they consider throwing in an official PC port of No Rest for the Living along with Doom 2. (Hopefully these will run in a modern port, rather than DOSBox on the PC, too. I'd be more than happy with the engine used for the 360 versions, since it's basically hi-res vanilla.)

My biggest fear is that they will simply include that lame and half-arsed port that shippe with the Xbox version of Doom 3's special edition, that ran in 320 res and even had the wrong sky textures in some of those episodes.

I really hope that they will just take the fantastic Xbox live arcade versions instead and give those widescreen support and then ship them with the game.

Apparently Carmack has been on a nostalgia trip lately, so you could expect a proper amount of attention given to the older games.

There seems nothing definite about a PC verison (from what I saw, just a comment asking for one), and nothing really in detail about what the BFG Edition contains beyond new levels.

In particular, if it was released for PC it would be great if there were remastered high-res textures and remastered higher-poly models (not so necessary IMO). Even better if the upgrade was available for cheap or free for existing Doom 3 owners.

Doom 3's not a bad game, IMO. It's a bit lackluster compared to the originals but it has plenty of fun value by itself.

chungy said:

if there were remastered high-res textures and remastered higher-poly models (not so necessary IMO). Even better if the upgrade was available for cheap or free for existing Doom 3 owners.

The game looked the same as usual in that trailer.

Also they said that they would add 3D and since 3D takes a lot of power I find it hard to believe that they would bother upgrading the grahpics.

I am more interested in the new levels. I just hope they aren't just more of the same, and that they can be played without first having to replay large parts of the vanilla game which we have already played.

chungy said:

There seems nothing definite about a PC verison (from what I saw, just a comment asking for one), and nothing really in detail about what the BFG Edition contains beyond new levels.

They show a PC DVD case at the end of the trailer, but yeah, no real mention of it in the trailer itself.

Personally, I'm stoked. I'm one of those weird people who liked D3 and am glad that it's finally getting the console version it deserves. Huge swaithes of the game were missing from the XBox releases and the 360 version of Q4 was very choppy.

I still wheel out D3 and RoE from time to time, even moreso than the original games (mainly cos I'm too busy playing PWADs on those) and this should rekindle the interest again.

Besides, shoulder-torch <3

hardcore_gamer said:

The game looked the same as usual in that trailer.

Trailers make it hard to tell the quality of textures in the game. Plus since it seems primarily focused on console ports, I'd bet they used footage from the Xbox 360, of which the hardware is right around the top-of-the-line from when Doom 3 was new. The PS3 tends to be even worse off than the 360. PCs are far more capable than that now, even low-end ones.

Captain Toenail said:

Just wondering. Does it contain:

How can you forget Doom64 and PSX Doom?! :P (I think we can forgive the absence of the GBA DM maps and the Xbox Sewer and Betray in this collection though.)

hardcore_gamer said:

I am more interested in the new levels. I just hope they aren't just more of the same, and that they can be played without first having to replay large parts of the vanilla game which we have already played.

I don't know why they wouldn't have them as a separate mission.

Off topic, anyone else find it funny you can set your birthdate on bethblog as early as 1862.

Marnetmar said:

Everybody should ask if The Rock is the new boss.

Now that would something interesting to see. As far as this BFG Edition of Doom 3, I am skipping this one and spending my money on something else more worthwhile.

Marnetmar said:

Everybody should ask if The Rock is the new boss.

Or if true Cooperative is supported (hope it is!!)