Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kinsie

Doom 3 Gets Lost, Finds a BFG

I'm pumped. Can't wait to pick this up, crank it to max, and play through DOOM 3 yet again.

But first, I will now go and play regular DOOM 3 :)

I read over on The Escapist that the graphics are getting updated for Doom 3 & RoE and an autosave/checkpoint system is getting added, along with the shoulder-mounted torch and the new levels. Looks like the original Doom and Doom 2 are just getting bundled in there though. Not seen any mention of it being The Ultimate Doom or Doom 2 with the additional XBLA levels, so I'd not bank on it.

Avoozl said:

An expansion would seem like a better idea than an extra episode.

It's the same thing in this case, I mean seven levels plus graphical updates and HMD support seems like a good package to me. Could someone merge this thread with the other one?No need for two.

DooM_RO said:

It's the same thing in this case, I mean seven levels plus graphical updates and HMD support seems like a good package to me. Could someone merge this thread with the other one?No need for two.

But there won't be any new monsters or guns though.

Phobus said:

I read over on The Escapist that the graphics are getting updated for Doom 3 & RoE

Unfortunately they don't specify whether that means they'll be redoing the textures. The link in the OP refers to tweaking the lighting models to make things more visible, so that may be what they're referring to.

Not that I care. I imagine remaking 3GB of art assets from scratch wasn't high on their priority list.

Avoozl said:

But there won't be any new monsters or guns though.

There is a new boss.

DeathevokatioN said:

Looks like a shameless cash in... I'll buy it.

Probably more something in the line of refreshing the brand recognition for the future Doom4 release.

Indeed, let's not forget that there is probably no large retail pressence of Doom in bricks and mortar shops at the momment.

kristus said:

Probably more something in the line of refreshing the brand recognition for the future Doom4 release.

To be fair, this would actually be the first proper console release of Doom 3.

There only console version was the version of Doom 3 that was released on the original Xbox, and it was heavily dumbed down. I honestly don't get it why getting both Doom 3 and RoE plus new levels is seen as a bad deal by some people here.

hardcore_gamer said:

To be fair, this would actually be the first proper console release of Doom 3.

There only console version was the version of Doom 3 that was released on the original Xbox, and it was heavily dumbed down. I honestly don't get it why getting both Doom 3 and RoE plus new levels is seen as a bad deal by some people here.

Plus the other 2 dooms, updated graphics and HMD support. The Only reason I would NOT buy it would be if it were 60$. I have a feeling it will be 30$

kristus said:

And, I imagine, free money to make up for Rage's comparatively minor sales.

Captain Toenail said:

Just wondering. Does it contain:

-Final Doom?
-Master Levels?
-No Rest for the Living?
-XBox Doom3 coop mode?

All of those are third party. While I really wish that they'd include them, I doubt that they are. It's probably just first party only stuff, meaning that what they didn't list isn't getting in.

It doesn't matter to me though, seeing as though I have the original copies (minus no rest for the living) of those things that you listed. No need to get Doom 1 and 2 from this when all of us here already have copies.

Still, I wonder if they'll make any changes to the original IWADs, like the modified health pickups in the 360 version of Doom 2, or maybe fix a few errors in the levels (like the texture bleeding in MAP02).

I saw in the trailer no distinguishable changes to the textures on the walls or the 3d models so that makes me skeptical about all this, being they finally pay attention to Doom 3 after EIGHT YEARS!

The maps? Probably the only thing that would interest me and it better not be the ridiculous $60 all these publisher retards have been making their AAA games lately.

I will be mighty pissed if consoles get it first THEN PC also but again I don't care too much about it in the first place.

Skeptical skeptical.

I dunno, it's easy to cry cash-grab on this one. If it weren't for the inclusion of the original Doom games I might agree, but since those are in there I see this as a service for the fans if anything. I really doubt Doom3 is going to grab a bunch of new players. Bethesda seems to have given id free reign and I see this as a gift for the Doomers.

Use3D said:

I dunno, it's easy to cry cash-grab on this one. If it weren't for the inclusion of the original Doom games I might agree, but since those are in there I see this as a service for the fans if anything. I really doubt Doom3 is going to grab a bunch of new players. Bethesda seems to have given id free reign and I see this as a gift for the Doomers.

Depends on the price really. 30$ would probably be enough while 60$ would be outrageous.

I wouldn't be too surprised if the console version turns out to be $60 due to the fact that by the end of the shipping process, the publishers and developers don't make that large of a fraction of that, but they better not make the PC version that high, since all of those problems are eliminated with digital distribution.