Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Philnemba

DOOM 3 BFG Edition - Debut Trailer

John Carmack said:

you don't have to turn it on if you don't want to...[/url]

I'm not sure if he's being serious and talking about the suit feature or being a smartass/misunderstanding the question and talking about the flashlight itself.

Doom 3 BFG Edition will include Doom, Doom 2, Doom 3, Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil and a brand-new, "lost" mission for Doom 3 with seven new levels, a new boss and two-to-three hours of content.

In addition, Carmack and id have been tweaking the formula, enhancing and improving the now seven-year-old game. The graphics have been enhanced. 3D graphics support will be native.

But perhaps most importantly, players will be able to use their flashlight and gun at the same time, something that was not possible when the game was originally produced, and which fans let id know was a problem.

Willits says the id team scoured message boards and fan forums looking for complaints they could address this time around. The flashlight. The too-dark levels. The difficulty. All were issues id addressed based on fan feedback, in the hope that this version of Doom 3 would be that much more engaging.

"We've tried to find those opportunities that can enhance the gameplay," Willits says. "We didn't have enough ammo in the original. It was too dark. There weren't checkpoint saves. No flashlight. That one was so big, we put it on the sell sheet."

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/5/30/3051918/doom-bfg-edition-details

So, what do you guys think? It might be interesting to see what they do, but I want to see a demo first before I buy it. I'm a bit skeptical about a couple of points they made though. What was wrong with the difficulty? Are they going to raise the difficulty? Lower it? I'd prefer it be raised, actually, preferably having more monsters. And just what's the issue with no checkpoint saves? Can't gamers just save manually? It's not that hard to quick-save, seriously.

Sodaholic said:

So, what do you guys think?

7 years after the release and id finally figures out what the duct tape mod is all about...That's pretty par for the course when it comes to how id does what it does.

It might be interesting to see what they do

I guarantee that it won't be.

Sodaholic said:

Can't gamers just save manually? It's not that hard to quick-save, seriously.

That might be the point. If they remove quicksave and add only checkpoints, then you won't be compulsively saving, and it gives them the opportunity to indirectly raise the difficulty level by giving you fewer "do-overs" when you fuck up and waste ammo/health/etc. You would have to go from checkpoint to checkpoint in long stints, rather than quicksaving your way to a safe victory. I doubt they would go that far, but it would be far better for gameplay if they did.

Old news, but I'll probably buy this for the sake of a Doom collectable.

Mogul said:

That might be the point. If they remove quicksave and add only checkpoints, then you won't be compulsively saving, and it gives them the opportunity to indirectly raise the difficulty level by giving you fewer "do-overs" when you fuck up and waste ammo/health/etc. You would have to go from checkpoint to checkpoint in long stints, rather than quicksaving your way to a safe victory. I doubt they would go that far, but it would be far better for gameplay if they did.

I have no problem with that kind of save mechanic.

I tend to like checkpoints, if done well I don't see it as any different as the old level intermissions. I avoid using manual saves unless my play session is over or if I don't feel like being challenged. Of course, a checkpoint every single fight or so is silly, but a thirty minute level can stand to be broken down into a handful of checkpoints.

Livo said:

I think the trouble with Doom 3 was that it didn't have a constant fear of death and restricted player movement (among other things) to be a proper survival horror type game, but the weapons lacked punch and the action wasn't quite frantic or visceral enough to be a fast paced shooter like the original Doom.

I felt that Doom 3 was trying to be both things at once and succeeding at neither when it came out.

Definitely agree. I really hope that they ditch the horror element and focus solely on action in the new levels. Really though, I think they'd need to completely rebalance the game for me to enjoy it anywhere near as much as classic Doom. The monsters would need to be made weaker so more of them could be used at once, and the player's arsenal would need an upgrade (especially that insultingly bad shotgun) at the very least.

As for suggestions I think they might actually consider implementing, ditch the sprint gauge, give us unlimited sprint in single player. Doom3guy already runs like Doomguy walks, he doesn't need to be made any slower after moving an arbitrary distance.

Edit: Dammit, why is this news making me want to play Doom 3 again? I know I didn't like it the last two times I tried playing it.

I find this both exciting and confusing. Here's why:

Why it's exciting:
Visual and gameplay enhancements sound like a good opportunity to breathe new life into the game.

Why it's confusing:
No PC/Mac announcements in the trailer, not to mention that this game is merely mediocre and there is no real justification in revisiting it, especially so many years after the fact, other than making a quick buck.

What this essentially feels like to me, is id saying, "Since our fancy engine still holds up nearly a decade later, we'll just rerelease the game for current systems so we can milk the franchise a bit more, although we'll need to fix a few things because it kind of sucks at times."

Despite my negative comments, if there is a Mac release, I'm interested. I say that because I recently switched to Mac for my graphically oriented home business. I actually fucking hate Apple products.

Scuba Steve said:

Beyond that, Adding a permanent light defeats the horror atmosphere they were going for.

Yes. The permanent light is just meh...

Though, I suppose if they could, the light, now always being on, should trigger enemies who are around corners to start coming after you because they see the light. Normally in Doom 3 I've noticed flashing enemies with a light doesn't do anything. If they're going to have a permanent light, at least give it it's cons.

Technician said:

I have no problem with that kind of save mechanic.

I would much rather have a checkpoint save system than a quicksave key. Quicksave is such a compulsive temptation. It really takes out the notion of long-term performance and lets you attempt every tiny segment of the game as many times as you want, until you're able to achieve the outcome you want, then advance to the next tiny event. It's admittedly convenient that way, but when you're pressing your quicksave key more often that you're pressing your fire key, something's wrong with that game design. Checkpoints are much cleaner and promote actual gameplay, as well as a consistently higher skill level.

Yeah, I actually agree. Maybe it comes from being a console gamer exclusively for so much of my life, but I've never been a fan of games that let you save anywhere. It completely removes any tension from a game. I do like the convenience of being able to save anywhere, but I prefer save systems where the save is erased immediately upon loading it; you can only use it to save your progress once, not to reload your progress any time you screw up.

As a owner of an original pc copy of Doom 3, I kind of don't want to have to purchase another copy just for the extras.

How do we know the light is permanent?

That would suck, surely we have control to turn it off and on?

If thats the case I may not buy this as I have already modded my current version of Doom 3 to be just how I like it.

However, proper widescreen support and the added graphical stuff may be nice to get.....I then have to MOD it again to change the light to be more user friendly!

It does feel like they are just trying to make a quick buck! but I am a MASSIVE doom fan and will but any Doom product!.....guess that makes me the sucker lol

bcwood16 said:

How do we know the light is permanent?

It won't. The light will have a battery to compensate its integration in the armor. Like in Half-Life.

People say "permanent" because you'll be able to shoot at things while the flashlight will be activated.

K!r4 said:

It won't. The light will have a battery to compensate its integration in the armor. Like in Half-Life.

Source?

I wonder what Doom 1-2 will look like in the pc version. Would they use Doom95 like the Collector's edition or a new application. I suppose they mass the games into a menu in the consoles.

I highly doubt that they're going to use Doom 95 as is. I'll bet that they're probably going to use their own branch of PrBoom instead (probably the iOS version).

What I'm curious about is: will they use OpenGL for rendering? Will it support the Oculus Rift like Doom 3 will? And will they make any changes to the IWADs themselves? If so, what changes? Edited medikit and stimpack graphics? Map error fixes?

My guess is, for PC, they will use the emulation software seen in the Steam version of DOOM/DOOM II. For Xbox, they will use the same versions of D/D2 you can get on Xbox Live.

If they make any bug fixes and other changes, would that have any impact to the speedrunning community and other demos?

Mogul said:

My guess is, for PC, they will use the emulation software seen in the Steam version of DOOM/DOOM II. For Xbox, they will use the same versions of D/D2 you can get on Xbox Live.

I highly doubt that they will use different versions between platforms, that's just not how multiplatform game development works, they usually use the same sourcecode and content between platforms. It will most likely not be the Xbox Arcade versions, as those were made by two different 3rd party companies respectively (one of which are defunct), and the Steam version was just DosBox. Not sure if they'll emulate the original executables, but I somewhat doubt that they will. My money's still on id's official branch of PrBoom.

ASD said:

If they make any bug fixes and other changes, would that have any impact to the speedrunning community and other demos?

It's probably likely that the speedrunninng/demo communities would still use v1.9 as their standard.

Sodaholic said:

I highly doubt that they will use different versions between platforms, that's just not how multiplatform game development works, they usually use the same sourcecode and content between platforms.

That's not how multiplatform game development works in the consoles+PC world. For the PC version, they will either use Doom95 or DOSBox. For the X360/PS3 versions, they will likely base off of the XBLA versions.

One thing to remember also is that open source is strictly off-limits from consoles, so don't get your hopes up that it'll be based on PrBoom.