Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
julz_d

I'm making a calling for 360 D3HD

Doom 3 + ROE HD (takes full advantage of XB360 Hardware) for Xbox 360 on Xbox Live Arcade for 800 MS Points. Must have full multiplayer including Coop missions. Profit marg...? Probably pretty good. I'd buy it ASAP.

julz_d said:

Doom 3 + ROE HD (takes full advantage of XB360 Hardware) for Xbox 360 on Xbox Live Arcade for 800 MS Points. Must have full multiplayer including Coop missions. Profit marg...? Probably pretty good. I'd buy it ASAP.

Wait...is this for real? Where are they? Are you sure?

Are they on marketplace already?

Mexican Doomguy said:

Wait...is this for real? Where are they? Are you sure?

Are they on marketplace already?

No lol it was just an idea. Your enthusiasm alone makes me more confident in the good sales such a project could make though!

julz_d said:

No lol it was just an idea. Your enthusiasm alone makes me more confident in the good sales such a project could make though!

Too bad, that will be to much f**king awesome!!!

Count my sign on it.

Cool idea, but do you plan to do anything other than say "Hey, I have this great idea?" I don't think there's enough of a Doom 3 following for Microsoft to spend the time and money making this possible.

GoatLord said:

I don't think there's enough of a Doom 3 following for Microsoft to spend the time and money making this possible.

SAD BUT TRUE.

Unfortenely, MS will not even consider it.
It will be more money=not possible.

It might be kind of cool if someone at id decided to port Doom 3 to id Tech 5 and then sell it on steam. There's no chance of it and it'd most likely be next to impossible, but it'd still be cool.

kristus said:

What would be the point?

Everybody loves HD remakes. DOOM 3 was pretty good and thats why everybody wants a new port. I will be happy if they add it to the Xbox Originals on Xbox marketplace. With multiplayer added and achievements.

kristus said:

What would be the point?

Absolutely none at all, obviously. I'm just saying it'd be a cool thing if it was done, which it won't be.

kristus said:

What would be the point?

This. And he's not even suggesting it should be released on PC. Shame on him.

I don't really get the point of HD versions :P
Let's take Doom3 here for instance. If you update the textures with a higher resolution, the models will start looking too low res. Then we update the models to a higher polycount. But now the particle effects look REALLY bad. We update these with higher resolution and a higher particle count. But what's this? Now the levels are looking a bit empty. There is a mishmatch between the high-quality assets and the lower-quality brushwork. Oh crap, the ingame GUI screens look horrible now. All blocky. Better replace that.

Okay so now we have a game with high-def graphics. What about the sounds? What about the variety of the game? The lacking depth to the main storyline? The sub-par shooting?

Anyway, the point is that you can't just throw in better textures and models at the game and expect everything else to match. The game and everything in it was made with a certain level of quality in mind and it shows throughout all aspects. If you want a higher quality Doom3, you should really start from scratch and improve where it counts, not try to retrofit the game with shiny textures.

Also, Doom3 on idtech5 would be really stupid :P

^ /thread

Some things in life are best left untouched. :)

There is already a mod that enhances Doom 3's graphics http://www.moddb.com/mods/cverdzislav .It adds higher quality textures, some even have parralax, better monster models, but as Shaviro said, it starts to clash when half of your screen is full of high quality texures and some low quality ones.The mod itself is good, but it still requires a lot of work.I think Doom 3 already looks good without any modifications, especially for a 2004 game.

Yeah, problem is Doom3 was made for its own stencil shadow rendering without any sort of blur or bloom. When you add these things on to it, the high contrast lighting in Doom3 [pretty much everything] will look like crap. For this to look good, you would have to redesign the entire light setup in all the maps.

I liked the visual mods in Perfected Doom 3, unfortunately that mod also includes miles over the top difficulty in gameplay changes

Face23785 said:

I liked the visual mods in Perfected Doom 3, unfortunately that mod also includes miles over the top difficulty in gameplay changes

I remember that. It was pretty cool because it tried to make the best use of visual mods. Since most of them are craptacular and just do pointless things like up the contrast or add way too much Bloom, it was nice that someone attempted to compile that ones that truly upped the visual quality. But yeah, it made it obscenely challenging.

GoatLord said:

I remember that. It was pretty cool because it tried to make the best use of visual mods. Since most of them are craptacular and just do pointless things like up the contrast or add way too much Bloom, it was nice that someone attempted to compile that ones that truly upped the visual quality. But yeah, it made it obscenely challenging.

I'd very much appreciate it if someone released a mod with JUST the visual enhancements, without the gameplay changes.

Stupid, pointless, virtually unfeasible idea.

You'd have to redesign the rest of the game to retain any degree of visual consistency, and Doom3 looks good enough the way it is anyways.

Every point everyone has made here hasn't stopped various companies from updating their games. Ico is a noteworthy game that looked dated even back in 2001, not to mention it was made for the unconventional PS2 hardware. Now you can see it in full unnecessary HD glory.

Still, there's the fact that Id clearly have little interest in re-releasing any of their games, ever. Pretty big point, actually.

As others have said, Doom 3 still looks pretty good. The one area where it disappointed me was in the texture department. Some of them were just too low-res/blurry. On the other hand, some of them were eye-poppingly gorgeous like the high resolution terminals/interactive surfaces. The monster models looked awesome, but the humans were kind of meh.

I never was bothered by the hard-edged shadows thing that so many people seem to hate. When I've seen games with "soft" shadows, you can see blocky artifacts if you look close around the edges.

Sometimes videos of Doom 3 pop up in my YouTube surfing, and I really am surprised by how well it holds up nearly a decade later, and so much of it has to do with the stencil shading and normal mapping. The low-polygon meshes and sometimes low-resolution textures don't suffer much as a result. One of those visual enhancement mods (I can't remember if it's Perfected Doom 3 or Sikk Mod or whatever) really cleans up the low-res textures and makes some of them look less warped.

julz_d said:

Doom 3 + ROE HD (takes full advantage of XB360 Hardware) for Xbox 360.

You win. I wouldn't have guessed in a million years.