Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blzut3

Ask Your Doctor About Zandronum

You mean that besides the name, this is wonderful news? Care to elaborate why? Not because I don't believe it, but because I'm curious.

dew said:

zdaemon = eh, ralphis should explain how he invented this one. i'm assuming zdoom + daemons from doom's loading console. i guess you could say both zdoom and daemons were shitty naming ideas. also go get some education. :P

To be fair, the naming of ZDaemon was very off-the-cuff and very little thought actually went into it. Nightfang had been parading around as XDaemon while he was tormenting csdoom and created the black csdoom launcher. When he was looking for names for his new fork, I meant to suggest just using the name XDaemon but instead typo'd and spelled ZDaemon and he rolled with it!

And that is how ZDaemon was named.

Creaphis said:

"ZDaemon" is a shitty name actually, I've never even known how to pronounce it,

I find it a nice pun between ZDoom and the term 'daemon' in programming. Sounds like a ZDoom server or such. And 'server' sounds like network playing.

To market Skulltag++ as a competitive online platform, you need a name that emphasize that it's for skilled fraggers: Skillfrag.

dew said:

odamex = online doom multiplayer experience.

But what does the A stand for? :p

Quasar said:

The amount of negativity here is overwhelming.

As an outside observer, this just looks like pointless e-drama culminating in a dumb name.

Creaphis said:

"ZDaemon" is a shitty name actually, I've never even known how to pronounce it,

zee-dee-men

I'll be fine with the name just keep the good stuff of Skulltag and I'm on board.

Yes, someone was desperate, and gone.

If they want to play the port that's their business.

Spamming it however is completely out of order.

DuckReconMajor said:

zee-dee-men

I'll be fine with the name just keep the good stuff of Skulltag and I'm on board.

I always pronounced it zee-day-men

I think this just messes it even worse. People at skulltag were complaining that the competitive scene is dying (each week many clans die and new meaningless ones emerge), and now they do the same with the port.
This evasive move will make things look fine at start but then it will go downhill unless they change the strategy.

Memfis said:

This is absolutely impossible to figure out.

The name is what it is (merely a label for a project). We're not really expecting anyone to determine where the name came from. Odamex doesn't seem to have any official explanation of the name and it doesn't really need one either.

Creaphis said:

If the name was actually good, there wouldn't be so many people saying it's nonsensical and hard to remember, and there wouldn't be such a need to defend it.

It's honestly not that hard to remember. Some people intentionally choose not to to make a point (you can tell).

Creaphis said:

Just change the name! Change it now.

It's essentially too late already.

I have to agree with Blzut3 here, I really find it bizarre that someone could forget how to pronounce 3 ultra simple syllables that are pronounced as they are spelled.

Memfis said:

This is probably the worst combination of name and logo I've ever seen. I find it very hard to believe that this is serious. I mean WOW it's bad.

This is absolutely impossible to figure out.

Jeeze man, it's not like it's going to kill you. Take some Zandronum or something.

Anyways, would you prefer the alternate logo(currently on some of the forum themes):
http://i.imgur.com/8Fwhz.png

I didn't design that one, but I did design the angular retro/videogame styled one. Makes it look like something you'd see on a Roger Dean Psygnosis poster or something.

I'm just going to refer to it as Zyklon-Z. I'm sure people will figure out what I'm talking about.

Infurnus said:

Anyways, would you prefer the alternate logo(currently on some of the forum themes):

I guess I should mention that we're working on the website and logo. We had to open it sooner rather than later since the Skulltag forums were closed.

So this means all the talented people from Skulltag have moved to Zandronum now? Aside from a giant writhing pile of retards where does this leave Skulltag?

Use3D said:

Aside from a giant writhing pile of retards where does this leave Skulltag?

Dead.

Carnevil said:

Dead.

Ah, so practically Zandronum is just a brand name change, a renewal of the Skulltag name. Same software and ideas otherwise.

printz said:

No. That looks too much like a ZDoom knockoff logo.

See that's what I said!

printz said:

Ah, so practically Zandronum is just a brand name change, a renewal of the Skulltag name. Same software and ideas otherwise.

Pretty much. Though it's a renewal of the code, obviously not the name!

Zandronum isn't that hard to remember (at least in the short term) when you actually bother memorizing it, but it's still a pretty crappy name. I know that it was picked as an end-all to the arguments over the possible names, and I can respect that reasoning, but good god if the outcome wasn't absolutely dismal. If there's this much complaining about the name, there's clearly something wrong with it.

I really think that there should be consideration of a new name. Perhaps the staff could come up with some alternate names, hold a poll, and decide whether to keep the current name or use one of the alternate ones?

I think the guy who bought the domain will not want to have to buy another domain.

Come to think of it, shortening it to Zandro would do wonders for the name. Perhaps that should be considered

Gez said:

I think the guy who bought the domain will not want to have to buy another domain.

That's true. If the community feels strongly enough about the name, and if the staff agree, perhaps there could be a community fundraiser to get a new domain.

Zandro sounds too much like a chat bot name. Zandronum is just fine, maybe you can capitalize it ZAndronum to show it's similarity with ZDoom, unless you want to distance yourselves from it (why would you do that...)