Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scalliano

Threshold Of Pain II - ACT 2 RELEASED

I'm not ruling out D64 music (or Quake 64 music for that matter), but we'll see what flies.

3-map demo released for feedback purposes. Enjoy, and please post any bugs/issues.

Just when I was looking for something to enjoy my evening with! Thanks, scalliano! I'll play this through ASAP! =)

I get this error when trying to run it
Execution could not continue.

10 errors while parsing DECORATE scripts

Ok, it works now. Is it wrong to say that some of the rooms remind me a LOT of Doom 3? I had this feeling when playing TOP1 as well.

No, it's opened via a switch. Try the door at the other end.

Also, the Doom 3 homage is intentional :)

There's a big lava pit in the second level that only damages you if you're completely submerged.

No goatmen. The nightmare demons fill the same role.

I actually found the new monsters somewhat unwelcome.
The only ones I liked were the new zombie types (supershotgun zombie and rocket zombie, and Science zombies) and the green pinkys who vomit at you-

the skullspiders and teleporting claw dudes and cybruisers just seemed too out of place stylistically.

the first TOP was cool because the additions to the cast of monsters were used in interesting enough ways that they fit- some of these new guys don't really create any interesting situations and they're too similar to other monsters already present in the first wad.

I like the level designs as much as the first TOP, again, you use 3d floors to connect places in creative ways, and the lighting is really cool.

Paul D said:

No goatmen. The nightmare demons fill the same role.

Yeah, but they were cooler looking, and the nightmare demon is just a palette swap of a pinky. :P

I am more interested in how they influence gameplay than how they look.

Paul D said:

I am more interested in how they influence gameplay than how they look.

But you did just say they were like the nightmare demons in terms of gameplay, and all I'm saying is that I'd like to see them added instead to be used the exact same way as the nightmare demon.

HellKnight2012 said:

Getting the same error DooM_RO got: 10 errors while parsing DECORATE scripts.

I have the latest version of GZdoom.

Get the latest SVN build here.

HellKnight2012 said:

I got the SVN build. How do I use it?

Just make a new directory called "GZDoom build" or whatever you prefer and unzip everything to that directory. Don't forget to include the necessary IWADs.

As for the demo, very neat stuff! The 3D floor parts were executed very well, made the maps exuberate more depth. Some of the bigger encounters meant for when you make progress (i.e. pick up a security card) were not very challenging. For example, the part in MAP02 with the blue key, the hardest monsters were three Barons of Hell and an Archvile. Considering the amount of ammo and that there are pillars to hide behind and that the Barons are slow, I was a bit disappointed with that fight. Sadly, MAP03 almost felt like it was the easiest map. Many of the monsters should have been replaced with harder ones, and I was playing on UV.

The maps themselves were beautiful with 3D floors and PSX/N64 colored lights. The only faults I noticed when looking closely were misaligned textures in MAP01. Here's a screenshot of where they are (areas marked in blue):
http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/2259/screenshotdoom201206052.png

DooM_RO said:

You should put more ammo and make the first maps easier.

I can't win, can I? :P

@Avoozl: The Nightmare Spectre is part of PSX Doom, which is the primary theme of the mod. The Satyr is excluded for 2 reasons, one of which Paul D already stated. The other is that it's been in pretty much every ZDoom mod since DECORATE got the ability to create monsters.

@Paul D: The Doom 3 monsters are kind of an integral part of what I wanted to do this time around, although I agree with you to an extent. While the Wraith sprites are based on the Shadow (another contractual ZDoom obligation :P), the Trite (spider) sprites are based on enemies from Blood. Problem is, I have neither the time nor the skill to knock up new sprites for either, particularly as there are more new enemies to come. As for the Cybruiser, while I disagree regarding its style, after testing I found it's a bit weak for what I had originally intended (an RoE Bruiser equivalent). So, come the final release, it will at least be a bit more of a, well, bruiser.

@CarpetolA: Taken on board. As I've said above, I gave the demo another bash myself after uploading and found some of the set pieces a bit anticlimactic. Expect more of a meaty challenge come the final version!

Cheers for the feedback, everyone! I have plenty to be getting on with now, but keep it coming!

I wasn't award the satyr in Unloved was over used as it was the only mod with them I ever played.

CarpetolA said:

Just make a new directory called "GZDoom build" or whatever you prefer and unzip everything to that directory. Don't forget to include the necessary IWADs.

I did that. I am dragging and dropping both the SVN file and ToP2demo.wad file to my GZdoom launcher(the marine icon) and I still get the error.

HellKnight2012 said:

I did that. I am dragging and dropping both the SVN file and ToP2demo.wad file to my GZdoom launcher(the marine icon) and I still get the error.

Drag and drop the wad on the SVN executable, not the official build of GZDoom.

jdagenet said:

Drag and drop the wad on the SVN executable, not the official build of GZDoom.

Did that. Got nothing. It's a file called gzdoom-r1401.7z . It's not an EXE.