Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
wesleyjohnson

Pain Elemental

Such conjecture really isn't bringing the topic anywhere. The main point was git doesn't make it simple to sync repositories that have rewritten history; and the Savannah administrators specifically went out to disable the ability to push updates like that.

All that being said, the Savannah administrators are being pretty slow at getting back, if anyone wants to continue pushing to the public repo, go ahead; i'll just have to redo git-filter-branch in the future (not a huge deal).

Considering the Savannah admins aren't doing their job, it might be a good idea to switch to another site like GitHub for hosting the master repository. There would be other advantages to doing so anyway.

Good idea. At the time Freedoom was moved to Savannah, git wasn't supported at SourceForge and the long gap of nobody checking anything into subversion seemed to be an excellent reason it should have been on a DVCS (and I picked Git mainly because i was somewhat familiar with it).

I don't remember if GitHub was around at the time (I think it was?), but I've used since and it'll work well for the project... I think Savannah might get picky over having the repository hosted elsewhere, but GitHub has all the functionality to replace it entirely anyhow (plus like you said, they're not doing their jobs; volunteer or not, this kind of response time is unacceptable).

I'm pushing the new master out to https://github.com/chungy/freedoom at the moment; when it's done you should be able to fetch from github, do a "git reset --hard d2745ac54", and merge in the github master branch to get up to speed... either that or just reclone. I can also set up collaborators later so a few people (like fraggle and rjy) can push to that repository directly.

Yikes.

All I wanted to do was to take a closer look at the cool new PE, and ended up causing headaches all around.

Heh, sorry about that.

sgtcrispy: not your fault. If anything it's _my_ fault for not checking the submission closely enough before pushing it out. Indeed I'm going to say thanks for noticing before it was too late ("late" meaning e.g. release of new version.)

We have DoomLegacy at SourceForge and it is tediously SLOW.
Cannot say their response to problems is any faster or better than you see at Savannah. I get nowhere with them with my concerns.