Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
soulsweat

Midi Issue

Hey, I've never encountered this before in all my Doom playing. The Midi for Doom on Dosbox and Chocolate Doom suddenly just stopped working. If anyone would have a clue why, It would save me from going insane trying to figure it out on my own.

I'm guessing this also happens with everything else using regular midi and not OPL emulation? If you're on WinXP, try the sound properties panel and make sure you have something selected for midi playback. It's not uncommon for settings like this to screw up just like that. Also, check the volume for SW Synth, might be too low or simply muted.

First, try restarting your computer, then if the problem purists, open DOSBox and type in "mixer /listmidi" without quotes. Tell me what it says when you type in that command and I may be able to help you.

Also, just as Porsche Monty said, is OPL emulation working? Also, did you edit DOSBox's conf file?

The fact that this affects both DOSBox and Chocolate Doom is very strange (and bad). Does this happen with other ports? Also, before restarting, see if you can play this midi file:
http://ompldr.org/vYTFsZg/cblood7.mid%C2%AD%EF%BB%BF

It does not happen with GZdoom, and the midi file plays fine through VLC media player with an addon. When I type mixer /listmidi I get nothing, however when I type mixer I get:

CHANNEL MAIN MAIN(dB)
MASTER 100:100 +0.00:+0.00
SPKR 100:100 +0.00:+0.00
SB 100:100 +0.00:+0.00
FM 100:100 +0.00:+0.00

On my old system midis would randomly stop working (in all programs: prboom-plus, windows media player, etc) when CPU was heavily loaded. Turning off COMODO usually fixed it. When I bought a new video card the problem just disappeared. No idea.

I wasn't expecting "mixer /listmidi" to say nothing, that's what I was going to base my advice on. It sounds like your "midi thingy" is being completely unrecognized by DOSBox and Chocolate Doom, but yes, I do have an idea but it's not... that simple.

This is my solution:
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-general/51868-how-to-install-and-set-up-timidity-driver/

Get a whole new midi driver. Once it's installed, I'll teach you how to make it work on DOSBox, I don't know what to do about Chocolate Doom though, well I actually do know how to get it working with Chocolate Doom but it would require editing the registry, and I don't like advising people I don't know to do that, very risky.