Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Julian

Cyrillic Art

Blod sent us a link to a Russian DOOM-related art gallery. The drawings there are of pretty good quality. This page may not be new, but these eye-candies will undoubtedly enlighten your day.

Why the fuck is the Doomguy wearing old fashioned 20th/21st century army boots???
;-)

Scragadelic said:

Besides, why would he wear any other boots?

Uhh, why not?
A reason for wearing other boots? Wearing 20th/21st century army boots would be like wearing boots from the 19th century today. In the time where Doom takes place, combat boots would be armoured and better designed for combat. Modern army boots don't offer protection and you can actually get boots that are better for your feet than army boots, meaning that modern army boots are already obsolete theoretically speaking.
And it's damn important for an infantryman to keep his feet healthy.

Modern army boots are VERY good, they're sort of allround boots, they DO offer protetction, due to the thick leather they are made of. they are also very well suited for walking long distances wich is a very common occurence in the army of today. Plus, they look damn cool.

Would you rather have a 10 kg kevlar boot on each leg? All things considered, your feet are probaly the most protected part of your body in todays army. Noone wears a body armor, or even a kevlar west in battle. they weight about 25 kg.

Dude, I've been WEARING army boots myself during my army service period, so don't start teachin' ME about army boots. Standard army boots aren't that good - there are better boots available than those. And leather offer absolutely no protection against standard rifle ammunition - that type of ammo can penetrate light layers of steel.

About the cool factor: Just because modern army boots are cool, doesn't rule out the possibility that the artist could've designed them a little more futuristically and STILL have made them cool.
Take a look at my drawing of the Doom marine - I designed his boots with modern army boots in mind, while still trying to make them similar to both the original Doomguy's boots and the Q3A model's boots.

Looking at it now, I admit that I could've done a better job with those boots.

Neitehr do cloth, that is the standard issue army uniforms material. I rather try to hit a enemy soldier in the torso than in the foot. but maybe that's just me.

/me would like to see Dsm march into war with armor all over him.

Don't forget to carry a gun aswell. after all that extra weight you'd be lucky to manage to carry a slingshot.

The helmet alone is a pain in the ass, and that don't protect against bullets either.

So what are these fantastic boots that can stop a bullet yet is light and flexible so it won't give you serious wounds on your feet after a days marching?

A 5.56 full metal jacket bullet can go through 2 cm of iron, if I am no mistaken. Maybe I am, was a while since I did the army crap. and I can't say i was paying that much attention.

Goddammit, learn to use your imagination.
Plastic can be quite light y'know and it is rather solid for it's weight. We have no idea if they might invent something that's even lighter and just as strong as steel sometime in the future.
Don't be so damn nitpicky on realism.
And besides, general military equipment could possibly be made lighter
in the future, which lends more "weight capacity" to armour.

And before you misunderstand me completely, know that my "criticism" of the art wasn't meant negatively - I just found it a little amusing that the Doomguy would wear what would be equivalent of us wearing the kind of footwear used by 19th century soldiers.

If I'm not mistaken, history likes to repeat itself and I know that soldiers evolved from wearing skin to first wear some loose helmets and later to wearing heavy plate armour until the invention of muskets (more or less). When armour became useless because of guns, soldiers stopped wearing armour of any kind - not even helmets and that lasted until WW1 when people realized that giving soldiers helmets could actually save lives.
A few army units and police units wear bullet proof vests on some missions nowadays. Some more years into the future we may see increasingly advanced helmets and armour and the development circle will continue.

Like I said, use your imagination it's just a game.

I wasn't talking about the damn pic. I was talking about how you stated that the army boots was already for our time behind the times.

Yeah, compared to some of the boots you can buy - they aren't quite as good for you feet as some boots.
Hm, now I think about it, they might be using different types of army boots in other countries' armies.
All I know is that the boots I wore were definitely behind some of the boots that you can buy in a store.

Material science is making great progress. It probably won't take many decades until we have ceramics that are better than steel, titanium, kevlar, glass fibres etc, etc combined...