Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Stupid, totally unfounded Doom rumors

Any funny stories? A friend of mine claimed that a secret code in Doom 64 would transform the zombie soldiers into Barney the Dinosaur. I remember searching endlessly online (circa late 90s) for this non-existent code.

The "Doom 2 beta" craze lasted for quite some time, and just days before the official release, someone leaked a pretty much finished version on the BBS', and the rest is history...

A long time ago I had a program simply called "CHEAT" that provided a database of games with cheat codes--I must have got it on a shovelware disc at some point, or something. Under Doom II it had a listing that was something to the effect of "IDDOOMISDUMB - Supposedly does something, if so, WHAT?" I haven't been able to find any background story as to this ever having really existed so I guess it's just someone back in the day doing a bit of trolling.

Some friends in junior high said there was a cheat code to turn the monsters into naked chicks. I, of course, knew it was bullshit, having taken a look at the contents of the IWAD, but I couldn't seem to convince them otherwise.

Back when good ol' Doom 64 was in development, there were claims from some website that the polygon edges of the enemies were so smooth that you couldn't tell where one ended and the next began. This was an astoundingly dumb thing to say, since even modern games don't look that good. I think the inept writer meant to say that the pre-rendered models had a smooth look to them, but he totally fucked it up and made it seem like the game had high quality polygon models.

A lot of people seemed to believe Dark Forces was based on the Doom engine. (In reality, it is completely different in pretty much every way. The 2.5D renderer works rather like Build.)

I've heard rumours, that playing doom turns us all into emotionless. coldblooded maniacs killing kids in schools.

DoomGater said:

I've heard rumours, that playing doom turns us all into emotionless. coldblooded maniacs killing kids in schools.

Yeee-essss... Rumours...

For a while, the Cyberdemon entry on the Wiki mentioned something about the monster being especially vulnerable to the Chainsaw, and that it was specifically programmed to retreat from Chainsaw attacks:

"When attacked at the feet with a chainsaw they have a
higher pain chance and cannot aim at a player because of the
close range. The Cyberdemon AI is designed to retreat in such cases"
It remains the single most stupid fucking thing trying to pass as fact that I have read on any wiki, ever.

Go on, try to use the Chainsaw on a Cyberdemon and see what happens.

LOL

Yea I heard about the Barney Dinosaur and naked chicks cheat too

Also some computer know-it-all from school who actually did not know much at all as he was full of sh*t (by the way can we swear on these forums) said that he found some special unfinished code that was abandoned as no computer could run it, but it basically made Doom almost photo realistic. He thought he might be able to finish it off and contact the 'makers' and get a high paid job with them LOL

See what I mean about being full of sh*t!!

Oh and also heard about something about a secret hidden weapon that was really powerful lol

I remember some stupid "Christian Game Review" site (couldn't tell if it was a spoof or not it was that bad) that claimed Doom gave you bonus points for headshots.

Somewhere, there's a single-map (MAP01) "Doom 2 demo" based on Doom95. To this day I'm still convinced that it actually existed, even though I couldn't find it by searching my old shareware stuff.

I remember hearing back in January 1997 that the Doom 64 Cyberdemon would have multiple weapons, including a chainsaw.

Can we just turn this into a "Silly Doom stories you have about non-Doomers?"

Because my mother, shortly after looking at my latest screenshots, decided to blurt out this awesome piece of conversation: "It looks nice, but does hand have to be so wrinkly and ugly like that?"

Yep.

DooMAD said:

I remember some stupid "Christian Game Review" site (couldn't tell if it was a spoof or not it was that bad) that claimed Doom gave you bonus points for headshots.

Yeah I remember that, it's pretty hilarious seeing as Doom doesn't even give you points at all. :p

I think some people just construe the kills/items/secrets percentages as "points".

I read in one magazine that the chainsaw ran on fuel and in another that the Arch-Vile could move between levels.

There's some Christian site that reviewed Doom 3 claiming id software was a satanist cult. I don't wanna bother looking for it now but I'm pretty sure it still exists. There's another Christian site that said the demons would eat your corpse after you die.

Marnetmar said:

There's some Christian site that reviewed Doom 3 claiming id software was a satanist cult.

That can't be, since id explicitly said that they are not satan worshippers in Quake's readme.txt file.

Marnetmar said:

There's another Christian site that said the demons would eat your corpse after you die.

YOU WILL BE EAT BY DEMONS!

Actually that would be cooler then being eaten by worms.

When I was young, I believed that red firesticks in Doom II can sometimes create a lost soul. I was going through a corridor with firesticks and then a lost soul appeared and I thought it went from the firestick. Since that time, I've been even more scared when playing Doom because I expected attack from every firestick. I had believed it for years.

Man, these stupid Christian sites actually made Doom to be really badass. I wish some of those features were in there FOR REALS. I remember reading one of those Christ-y reviews which claimed blood splattered on the walls.

GoatLord said:

Man, these stupid Christian sites actually made Doom to be really badass. I wish some of those features were in there FOR REALS. I remember reading one of those Christ-y reviews which claimed blood splattered on the walls.

I remember that one. I can only hope that they just ran it with ZDoom or some other port where that actually happens, and assumed it was a feature of the original game.

But maybe that's giving them too much credit.

GoatLord said:

Any funny stories? A friend of mine claimed that a secret code in Doom 64 would transform the zombie soldiers into Barney the Dinosaur. I remember searching endlessly online (circa late 90s) for this non-existent code.

Your friend might not have been dishonest; he probably saw a graphic modification wad and thought it was a cheat. Similarly, I had a friend that told me there was a cheat to become a Cyberdemon, and it turned out to be the same deal.

EarthQuake said:

Some friends in junior high said there was a cheat code to turn the monsters into naked chicks. I, of course, knew it was bullshit, having taken a look at the contents of the IWAD, but I couldn't seem to convince them otherwise.

Funnily enough, that was actually a planned feature for Doom, if you look in the Doom Bible.

bcwood16 said:

(by the way can we swear on these forums)

Of course!

The Doom Bible was Tom Hall's dream for the game and had little to do with the actual design of the game by everyone else.

Sodaholic said:

Of course!

Proper answer is: "Of course, you motherfucking cunt shitbag!"

I guess this is another "stupid story from non-doomer" entry, but anyway.

I remember when I was still young and very new to Doom always wondering how you were meant to complete level 30 of Doom 2. I'd cheated to get there many times, and noclipped through to the Romero head thing and knew that shooting it finished the level. But how to actually do that without cheating was a complete mystery to me.

So one day at school I was talking to some guy, and the topic of Doom 2 came up, and I asked if he'd finished it. He claims he has, so I ask the obvious question "How on earth do you finish the last level, because it's 'Just a wall'?". He tells me how if you shoot it enough times it cracks open. At this point, even though I was clearly quite ignorant of the Doom ways myself, the amount of bullshit he was talking became obvious. Later he mentioned some bizarre stuff like getting a laser beam weapon from the Cyber Demon. This was also the first time I wondered why someone would lie their way through an entire conversation.

Yeahip, that's my retarded contribution.

@GoatLord: this Barney thing I heard it for other games as well. Apparently anyone past the age of 5 hated him. The people who did Xenophage even went as far as including it as a hidden character named "Blarney"

There's also the "Blood on the walls" promo song for Doom which *could* have influenced the respective rumor, but I don't think a lot of people got to hear it before Romero published it on his website, myself included.

@Marnetmar: well, Demons sort of hang around your corpse when you die, so if any of them gets close enough when you're laying dead on the ground, it would look as if it were actually eating because they flap their jaws all the time. Not hard to see why that would be misinterpreted as corpse consumption.

scifista42 said:

When I was young, I believed that red firesticks in Doom II can sometimes create a lost soul. I was going through a corridor with firesticks and then a lost soul appeared and I thought it went from the firestick. Since that time, I've been even more scared when playing Doom because I expected attack from every firestick. I had believed it for years.

Scifits42 waited. A firestick flickered and sparked up in the air. There were Lost Souls in the base. He had been expecting them now for years.

Scifista42 was a Doom player for 14 years. When he was younger he said to daddy "I want to play with the firesticks, daddy!". Daddy said "NO! You will be KILL by a LOST SOUL!". There was a time when he believed him, but as he got oldered he stopped.

GoatLord said:

I remember reading one of those Christ-y reviews which claimed blood splattered on the walls.

Other than ZDoom decals, there's a few textures with blood splatters on them.