Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
savagegrant

Best WADs to have never won a Cacoward

d@ngib5on said:

I had thought of several others getting read for sleep, but fullmetalavaran got some of them (I'm really surprised he/she caught Hell on Mars because I was going to bring it up and it received near zero attention or even recognition)!

I'm just as surprised as you are about the lack of attention Hell on Mars got. I believe it's everything that Knee Deep in ZDoom wanted to be. The only problem with Hell on Mars was, in my opinion, that it was too short.

I'm past halfway with adding more info to the list. I've now included multiplayer WADs in the list and added an author field.

Some wads I felt deserved a Cacoward, but didn't.

1994 - The Interdiction Zone by Jim Flynn.
1995 - Bf_thud! by Chris Klie, and The Raven Episode by Tim Willits and Theresa Chasar.
1996 - Diabolos, Pazuzu, and Odyssey, all by Unreal mapper Elliot Cannon.
1997 - Soldier of Fortune by Lisa Moore.
1998 - Dead Perfect by Yonatan Donner, and The Call of Ktulu by Rudy Jurjako.
1999 - Pax by Ty Halderman, and Vengeance by Paul Fleschute.
2000 - Vrack by Fredrik Johannson. How could the first one have been overlooked?
2001 - Castle Of Eternal Carrot In The Sky by Fredrik Johannson, and Trust by Tommie Quick.
2002 - One Bloody Night by Erik Alm.
2003 - Vrack 3 by Fredrik Johannson.
2004 - Hollow Minds by Kristian Aro.
2005 - ToxicHole and The Cursed Generation by Kaiser. They would have been great on Plutonia 2 as originally intended.
2006 - Zero Tolerance by Dutch Devil.
2009 - Scythe X by Erik Alm, even if it's only the first two episodes. Hope to see it as a full 32-level megawad eventually.
2011 - Deimos: Slight Return by Rex Claussen, Doom Core by Michael Jan Krizk, and Riot Control by Dutch Devil.

That Vengeance is pretty overlooked. It's on the easy,side, but quite good.

In fact I'd say Fleschute is overlooked in general, since he made another decent UDoom megawad Invasion, a Doom II sequel Invasion II that shamefully was left somewhat incomplete, and I think he also did a real nice single level at the end.of his career (I can't remember its name but think Vengeance was in the name).

d@ngib5on said:

That Vengeance is pretty overlooked. It's on the easy,side, but quite good.

In fact I'd say Fleschute is overlooked in general, since he made another decent UDoom megawad Invasion, a Doom II sequel Invasion II that shamefully was left somewhat incomplete, and I think he also did a real nice single level at the end.of his career (I can't remember its name but think Vengeance was in the name).

You mean this? Vengeance: Skybase Sirius IV

Yeah, that was Paul Fleschute's last single-player map. His very last offering to the Doom community was a map he made for the Boom DM megawad Surge 2. The Invasion megawads were decent, but it's a shame that Ultimate Invasion, a TC which is meant to be a reboot of the first two Invasions, never saw the light of day. Paul Fleschute is one of my favourite mappers, and Vengeance was probably the only good full 4-episode Ultimate Doom megawad right next to 2002ADO.

Thanks for all the recommendations guys! I've finally finished fleshing out the Cacoward winners, runner-up & honourable mentions list. Next I will do the same with a list of all the recommendations.

By the way, do you think I should include the Mockaward winners in the list?

Phobus said:

Somebody should sticky the first post in this thread as the definitive response to "What are the best Doom wads?" - a question we get every other week, it seems. A true win would be if it had links to /idgames archive downloads and said what port and IWAD it was for though ;)

That's way too many wads for anyone who's looking for 'the best Doom wads'. That's a list of wads you would recommend to somebody who has played over a dozen megawads, but that person would most likely be familiar with the cacowards.

I forgot to mention that with Paul Fleschute's Vengeance: Skybase Sirius IV, he was going to make a full 32-level megawad for Boom back in 1999, but it was another cancelled project like his remake of Invasion.

Phobus said:

Somebody should sticky the first post in this thread as the definitive response to "What are the best Doom wads?" - a question we get every other week, it seems. A true win would be if it had links to /idgames archive downloads and said what port and IWAD it was for though ;)

Gatling said:

That's way too many wads for anyone who's looking for 'the best Doom wads'. That's a list of wads you would recommend to somebody who has played over a dozen megawads, but that person would most likely be familiar with the cacowards.

Yeah, maybe we could have a Cacowards ceremony for the previous Cacoward winners to narrow the list down. Like a Cacowards Hall of Fame. lol. That or we can put all these WADs to the vote right here? heh

Vader's Blackrock. It was included in the ZDoom Community Map Project. ZDCMP was pretty bad save for several maps... and Blackrock was one of them. It never won an award because I wasn't going to award one map from a megawad. His other map, Thunderpeak, won an award because it was released separately... but Blackrock was only to be found in ZDCMP. A damn shame.

Scuba Steve said:

Vader's Blackrock. It was included in the ZDoom Community Map Project. ZDCMP was pretty bad save for several maps...

ZPack. ZDCMP was a single map made by several people and got an award. ZPack was 30 maps and got a bit of a backlash against it, though it wasn't that bad, IMO.

savagegrant said:

Yeah, maybe we could have a Cacowards ceremony for the previous Cacoward winners to narrow the list down. Like a Cacowards Hall of Fame. lol. That or we can put all these WADs to the vote right here? heh

yes please. I'll come back in a couple years to see if doomworld will compile a Cacowards Hall of Fame for the 20th anniversity of Doom. There will have been over 200 wads selected for Cacowards by that time!

I think it'd be better for the 20th anniversary if awards were given to wads that were overlooked by the Cacowards or The Top 100 (like the stuff mentioned in this thread).

Holyhell is nice. It was supposed to be a parody of dv or something. If it's true, then it kind of failed, because I like it more than dv, especially from gameplay perspective.

Ah yes, ZPack... my mistake.

And for 20 years... it needs to be something better. I've been thinking of something to do for the last year now and have some ideas.

I thought there was that webpage up that was teasing at something being done for Doom's 20th. Or was that just a wad people were going to make?

Well there's this and this, but both seem to be dead now (hopefully not because the first one looked like it could be a really awesome project).

savagegrant said:
Alien Vendetta | Martin Aalen Hunsager | 2002 | Doom II | Vanilla

This should be "Various authors". For some reason, Martin's name is listed in the Author field on idgames, but a check of the text file shows this is incorrect.

Processingcontrol said:

Well there's this and this, but both seem to be dead now (hopefully not because the first one looked like it could be a really awesome project).

I forgot how awesome Exl's screens in the first project were. Exl, if you're out there, sally forth!

Thanks for the correction Capellan. It's fixed now. I've been reading all the .txt files to make sure that the information in the list is correct. I must have been having a brain fart when I did that entry. hehe

I have decided to add the Mockawards and Best Gameplay Mod award. They have been noted as such in the list. I've also added some honourable mentions from the 2006, 2010 & 2011 Cacos that I've overlooked. :)

I've started compiling the list of member recommendations. So far it features WADs mentioned by Snakes, lupinx-Kassman, Xaser, dew, fraggle, Gez, kmxexii, scalliano, darkreaver, d@ngib5on, Not Jabba and jute. More to come!

(List has been moved to the first post of the thread)

savagegrant: 32in24-4 is CTF and therefore requires C/S ports. 32in24diet is a regular SP wad. :)

Endgame.wad but that was released before the first Cacowards in 2004. One of the best and most underrated wads of all time.