Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
esselfortium

Is it possible to configure EE to use Timidity?

I'm tired of playing without music due to the Vista/Win7 midi volume issue. I vaguely remember a thread a while back on getting PrBoom to use Timidity; is there a way I can get Eternity to do the same, or would support have to be coded into EE specifically for it?

Interesting thread. I hope Timidity fares better than SDL_mixer (ouch) at being cross platform too, so I don't have to find ways to fix it myself :)

If EE uses the system MIDI synth, then you can replace it with another (TiMidity++ Windows Synth, BASS MIDI, etc.). Or you can use something like MIDI Yoke or LoopBe1 to redirect MIDI stuff to use any synth as the system synth.

If support is added at the code level, FluidSynth is an option to consider, too. PrBoom+ and ZDoom already propose it, to say nothing of Doom64 EX or even SLADE 3.

I tried Timidity++ as a system synth not long after posting this thread, and disappointingly found it to cause more problems than it fixed... actually, it didn't seem to fix any problems at all, and just made matters worse :P

Even following the instructions and config parameter stuff from the tutorial on DW, I couldn't get its volume changed from the standard level, so that was no improvement from the Windows MIDI playback. Beyond that, I had to turn up the latency pretty high to get rid of audible crackling, and -- the deal killer -- every Doom midi it played somehow ended up with entire instrument tracks being transposed a note or two, thus turning the songs into horrible discord.

I might try BASS MIDI sometime, thanks for that.

EE will be adding FluidSynth once any of us figure out how to compile it along with its 800000 dependencies.

Quasar said:

EE will be adding FluidSynth once any of us figure out how to compile it along with its 800000 dependencies.

Do you want it statically linked to EE, or dynamically linked like everything else? Because in the dynamic option, you can merely use precompiled libs and dlls.

I've had to build FluidSynth to build SLADE and it's not that hard.

Quasar said:

May this solve the OS X midi no-loop issue too?

printz said:

May this solve the OS X midi no-loop issue too?

Definitely. I can't imagine that, from what I've heard of it on Windows, Mac's QuickTime-based MIDI is even good to listen to 90% of the time so adding a workaround for it is a waste of time IMO.

Quasar said:

Definitely. I can't imagine that, from what I've heard of it on Windows, Mac's QuickTime-based MIDI is even good to listen to 90% of the time so adding a workaround for it is a waste of time IMO.

It has some trouble with certain complex midis, but it sounds about the same as or better than the Windows MIDI synth on any of the Doom IWAD tracks, and most others in my experience.

esselfortium said:

It has some trouble with certain complex midis, but it sounds about the same as or better than the Windows MIDI synth on any of the Doom IWAD tracks, and most others in my experience.

It breaks on program changes, which makes the first note of many midi files the wrong instrument. pitch shifting is also wonked. Directmusic didn't have any of these problems.

Csonicgo said:

It breaks on program changes, which makes the first note of many midi files the wrong instrument. pitch shifting is also wonked. Directmusic didn't have any of these problems.

You're talking about QuickTime or FluidSynth?

printz said:

You're talking about QuickTime or FluidSynth?

Quicktime. FluidSynth has problems with some SF2s that aren't "vanilla".

Did you try midiyoke with timidity In Windows? I tried it with other midi games and worked fine. Haven't tested eternity this way since I have it only on Linux.