Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Barefootstallion

Big Fan - Risen3D

Hello, everyone. Brand new member to Doomworld here.

I became involved with Doomworld through the advice of Hawkwind, who recommended it to me after a couple of weeks helping me become familiar with more of the advanced features offered by Risen3D.

Am I alone, or does everyone think Risen3D is a great port? :D

I have been into map building since back in the day when DoomEd was the program to build maps with. Alas, I no longer have any of those maps, but suffice it to tell everyone that I built a couple of dozen pretty fun maps.

Just recently, after discovering Doom Builder, I got back into building maps. I was never able to use Deepsea. To me, that program was too much gobbledygook; I was never able to understand it, much less try to use it. :P

Then, a friend and I discovered Risen3D. When we discovered a port that not only played Doom really well, but allowed you to add your own custom high res textures???

Anyway, getting grabbed up by work. More later! Hello to all and I look forward to making tons of new Doom friends!

Welcome. I'm personally not crazy about Risen3d, I prefer a classic look. Looking forward to see your maps.

Haha, I like the classic look a lot, myself. But by the same token, Risen3D offers a whole new way to play Doom. And a very cool new way, too.

My maps, too, will be formatted for Risen3D only. Many of the special line tags will work only in Risen3D, they likely causing many other ports to crash. I am doing this mostly because I just think the port is very cool. Also, the guys who made it, in my humble opinion, deserve recognition for the work they've put into the port. It is a fabulous port.

Anyway, for now, just saying hello. I will have a map ready for play probably in about a month. I'll keep everyone updated.

Thanks, everybody!

Barefootstallion said:

Then, a friend and I discovered Risen3D. When we discovered a port that not only played Doom really well, but allowed you to add your own custom high res textures???

ZDoom, Doomsday, and others allow you to do this don't they?

Anyway, I used it for a little bit a while ago. I wasn't much a fan of the launching interface but other than that it seemed like a pretty good port. I might re-download it when your map comes out.

I'm a fan of Risen 3D. It's my second port of choice behind the ZDoom family. I have never actually edited for Risen 3D (well, other than a little tinkering with a few already existing maps) but I've always had a mind to do something sometime with it. I like the quality of its model and texture support and Sitters and Abbs have made some quite stunning maps for it. (I especially like Genetic Disaster, Cruel death and Doom Dragon.) Basically I find it to be a really solid, well put together engine for 3D accelerated features.

I also think that Risen 3D's sound is excellent - especially in custom maps built to use it properly. Unfortunately, you need to have a machine capable of using (or emulating) EAX support to take full advantage of it but if you can get it to work, IMO it rivals the sound quality of many much newer full-blown commercial games.

Haha, I like the classic look a lot, myself. But by the same token, Risen3D offers a whole new way to play Doom. And a very cool new way, too.

My maps, too, will be formatted for Risen3D only. Many of the special line tags will work only in Risen3D, they likely causing many other ports to crash. I am doing this mostly because I just think the port is very cool. Also, the guys who made it, in my humble opinion, deserve recognition for the work they've put into the port. It is a fabulous port.

Anyway, for now, just saying hello. I will have a map ready for play probably in about a month. I'll keep everyone updated.

Thanks, everybody!

Barefootstallion said:

ZDoom, Doomsday, and others allow you to do this don't they?

Anyway, I used it for a little bit a while ago. I wasn't much a fan of the launching interface but other than that it seemed like a pretty good port. I might re-download it when your map comes out.

Sorry, crappy WiFi connection made my post appear twice! If an admin or mod could delete my second response post, I'd be grateful! :D

Either way, I already have one map made for Risen3D. However, since I was just learning the port when I made the map, I created a lot of new textures to replace many in the textures folder for Doom2. On top of that, it is an absolutely massive map - it having grown to a colossal 3-something megabytes before I started learning the ins and outs of Risen3D.

I may post it, if enough of a demand arises for it. It is a massive map, but it is absolutely gorgeous. If I do post it,though, it will require renaming your textures folder in Risen3D's directory to something else, then dropping in my textures folder.

Kind of a round about, pain in the backside way of doing things, but it was before I began learning what Risen3D could do.

With the map I am working on now, I have created my own custom textures folder, and am embedding their low-res counterparts in my pwad.

My pwad at any rate, is going to consist of several levels, many of them mirroring what I think the original Doom 2 wad could have been, had John Romero and his clan had more time and a market with better computers to release a game to. I am planning something pretty ostentatious, but fun, well thought out to help showcase Risen3D in the light I think it deserves!

Thanks, everybody!

Hmm, are you allowed to distribute risen3d? Maybe you could put out a zip with your own risen3d setup with the custom levels? of course make sure you also offer one without the engine for those who don't have good internet.

Actually, Risen3D is a free download here. Make sure to grab all of the patches too. They are on the downloads page. You don't necessarily need the patches to run Risen3D, but if you want the high res function to work, you'll want to get them. All of the patches are exes too, so they are as easy to install as double clicking on them after you get them downloaded. Risen3D and all of its patches work well on all Windows OS's, Windows7 included (I am running Windows7 64bit).

As to the launcher, it is one of the easiest I've seen yet. Of course, I've played ZDoom only briefly (it got crappy framerates on my machine with high res running) and Skulltag - these two being the only two modern ports for Doom besides Risen3D that I've tried.

Besides all of that, I am learning quickly on Risen3D. I tried messing with ZDoom. But when I couldn't figure out how to get some of its fancier stuff to work and I used the contact us link for it, all I got in reply was silence. When I wrote Risen3D's team and asked for help, Hawkwind hooked himself up with me immediately and started helping me just as quickly.

So ask me, not only is Risen3D a great port, but they have people behind it who seem very interested in its success, and most especially, interest on those who are interested in doing successful things with it.

Risen3D has my vote. I plan to do a great deal with this good port.

Barefootstallion said:

I tried messing with ZDoom. But when I couldn't figure out how to get some of its fancier stuff to work and I used the contact us link for it, all I got in reply was silence.

You should try their forums. Much better place to be asking for help.

Sodaholic said:

You should try their forums. Much better place to be asking for help.

If I'd have thought about it then, then I might have. But as the French say: "C'est la vie".

For ZDoom, that is. :)

Barefootstallion said:

I tried messing with ZDoom. But when I couldn't figure out how to get some of its fancier stuff to work and I used the contact us link for it, all I got in reply was silence.

ZDoom has a contact us link?