Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MajorRawne

New Doom novels... your thoughts?

I've always portrayed the Doomguy as a sort of antihero, like the one in Ressurection of Evil.

Don't worry chaps, this will be a vision of hell that not only matches Doom but is literally a place so horrifying a man could lose his mind.

The Doom Marine in my mind is, as you say, an anti-hero, but since he has to stand against hell on his own and retain his sanity to some extent, he has the capacity for heroism which goes way beyond a normal person's, but he isn't touchy-feely. The Event Horizon character is actually a good parallel, but Doom Man isn't just a man doing a job, he will risk his life and soul for people he doesn't know.

MajorRawne said:

Don't worry chaps, this will be a vision of hell that not only matches Doom but is literally a place so horrifying a man could lose his mind.

The Doom Marine in my mind is, as you say, an anti-hero, but since he has to stand against hell on his own and retain his sanity to some extent, he has the capacity for heroism which goes way beyond a normal person's, but he isn't touchy-feely. The Event Horizon character is actually a good parallel, but Doom Man isn't just a man doing a job, he will risk his life and soul for people he doesn't know.

Yeah, that sounds like him.

I don't even want to think about fundamental Christians, but I should be ok since I don't live in America. I know a lot of Christians and Christian organisations in the UK, and as far as I know, none of them would be bothered about a Doom novel. After all, it's about Satan's minions getting mown down. It's not exactly a "how to" manual for demon worship any more than Rambo 2 is supposed to be a travel brochure for Vietnam.

EDIT: As for work rate, I managed to get four story submissions to the Black Library in 2 weeks and that includes a lot of slacking, days out and Minecraft. My work rate is pretty serious when I actually get down to it.

MajorRawne said:

I don't even want to think about fundamental Christians, but I should be ok since I don't live in America. I know a lot of Christians and Christian organisations in the UK, and as far as I know, none of them would be bothered about a Doom novel. After all, it's about Satan's minions getting mown down. It's not exactly a "how to" manual for demon worship any more than Rambo 2 is supposed to be a travel brochure for Vietnam.

EDIT: As for work rate, I managed to get four story submissions to the Black Library in 2 weeks and that includes a lot of slacking, days out and Minecraft. My work rate is pretty serious when I actually get down to it.

Who cares what they think? I mean wouldn't stopping you be an affront to free speech? Christians don't have any trouble describing how aborted babies are tortured in hell so why should you?

Fair point! I don't care what anyone says about the hell aspect, in fact I am planning to look up other religions' views of hell and damnation, all I care about is that I present id Software with something they can use and the Doom fans with something that finally lives up to Doom's original vision.

Free speech isn't a major thing where I come from, people just say what they want and generally everyone gets on with things, although there's a nasty aspect creeping in where you can't say certain things in case non-existent minority groups kick off about it. The tabloids (crap, sensationalist "news" papers) are horrible for this, they want people living in a permanent state of outrage over the most pointless things.

MajorRawne said:

Bear in mind that the main character cannot truly revel in the death of his enemies: he is supposed to be fighting for the forces of good (although this doesn't become a simple, cliched battle against good and evil). The sadism comes from the demons. But don't worry, the Doom Marine still enjoys kicking demon arse.

I suppose I agree with this on principle but remember that when you mash FIRE for a long time Doomguy gets a sadistic gleeful look on his face. Instead of making him a mad violence lover, maybe he goes through episodes of unadulterated rage due to his circumstances, and he is given to reflect on what this means about his humanity.