Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Compet-N: incoming and discussion, part 1 [please post in part 2 instead]

j4rio, this is no longer the place to submit demos, the official /INCOMING is up and running at:
http://doom.com.hr/compet-n/index.cgi?action=incoming
(I uploaded it for you)

Also, you said "Exe Doom2.exe"

In the future, change that "doom2.exe" to "doom2.exe -complevel 4" or "Final Doom's doom2.exe" or "Doom2 V1.9f" or "Fdoom2" or "Fdoom" because it is not the same as plain doom2.exe, which is -complevel 2.

Doom2: 709,905 bytes
Final Doom: 722,629 bytes

Also, be careful not to record a doom2 demo with final doom's exe, -complevel 4 doom2 entries are invalid and that would suck, but it's happened to people before.

Archy said:

j4rio, this is no longer the place to submit demos

People are still extremely welcome to post entries here too.

Archy said:

I think I worded it a little wrong, posting here is still fine, but they should always go to /INCOMING.

i already hate the new page. it was awesome to have everything packed in one site.
blah

I'm also not too fond of further ripping community. Fx could just ask nicely and I'm sure he'd get a subforum of some sort here as well. Whatevs.

blob1024 said:

i already hate the new page. it was awesome to have everything packed in one site.
blah

Nobody is forcing you to visit "new page".

j4rio said:
I'm also not too fond of further ripping community. Fx could just ask nicely and I'm sure he'd get a subforum of some sort here as well. Whatevs.[/B]

I don't have time to track too many forums. I'm not trying to split community either. I'm not trying to take anything from Doomworld. I really like Doomworld since it's almost only page that stayed alive after so many years of dooming. Nobody is stopping you or anybody else to post only here.

fx02: So how do you like running the site so far? :-)

Seriously, though, I was wondering what prompted the decision to use a separate news page. Is it simply for the 'comments' functionality, or is it just much easier to use?

fx02 said:

Nobody is forcing you to visit "new page".

I don't have time to track too many forums. I'm not trying to split community either.

for sure it wasnt your intention, but thats how it is going sadly. no, im not checking the new page at all. I'd if it would be here, but maybe it's just me being bitchy about it. I just would have appreciated much more not to have separated part for the CN
im still in a totally inactive period anyway

Andy Olivera said:

fx02: So how do you like running the site so far? :-)

Seriously, though, I was wondering what prompted the decision to use a separate news page. Is it simply for the 'comments' functionality, or is it just much easier to use?

It's not a problem to run the site. Problem is there are many things that needs to be fixed and upgraded. Then all those demos, since I was really absent from COMPET-N. And now I'm looking kinda "bad" and noobish since I'm not familiar with all the news, tricks, and stuff. But it's cool to do something Doom related.

Page is not "separated" anymore, everything is now on doom.com.hr. Forum for news is easy to use, backup, transfer to another we/domain etc. And yes, comments, smilies, attachments make it rich.

I didn't open like 10 COMPET-N forums. Just news, COMPET-N page related discussion, and additional speedruning discussion. I know most of the talk is on Doomworld and I'm ok if people will "ignore" COMPET-N forums. That's normal since original COMPET-N forum was dead for years.
Anyway, most of speedruners should be interested in news page, database and incoming, and they are available trought doom.com.hr main menu.

Feel free to leave comments and ideas.

ps. regarding spliting community. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qItugh-fFgg :P

I'm not enthusiast of respawns. It's just a max with additional luck factor. Blah.

I uploaded a tnt nightmare secrest movie at compet-n. Let me know if you have any problems downloading it. Also, fx, what are you planning to do with my 7 level TNT nightmare movie. there's a precedent in that people did partial nightmare movies for doom2. I'm not sure how it should be scored though.

I think that initially the idea was that the record was the run that got to the highest level, or the fastest to that level if two ended in the same one, until the last level was reached.

also, in the rules page it states that e1m8, e4m8 don't have respawn demos because of administration problems. I know what these administration problems are and believe them to not be a problem since modern source ports can confirm that a demo has 100% kills even on exm8 levels.

xit-vono said:

I uploaded a tnt nightmare secrets movie

I seldom watch >40 min. demos more than once, but I'll give it a go once more tomorrow :) I love the whole tactical side, movements typical of nightmare! (like on MAP19 in the truck area, great caco fireball dodging), plus it contains my TNT's favourite levels - somewhere between maps 13 and 18. It also seems like the first NM100 movie outside of Doom II/Ultimate Doom, so congratulations!

I loved the struggle on map 15, that was close. Great speedrun, very entertaining.

I think it's also important we all know that Xit Vono also uploaded a 3:34 UV SPEED demo of Requiem, Level 14 - The Portal on June 21. Download here.

I won't say I'm not proud of this outstanding demonstration of how much free time I have.

424 demos totaling 66:44:50 - not bad.

You should see my COMPET-N rampage from here to here. I was trying to get 10 entries a month, and end the years with 120 demos. So far I've only submitted 28 this year. School, work, driver's ed, and just life in general prevented that wish from ever coming close to an achieved status... I'm still trying to end the year with the most demos out of all participating players. Last year Revved won that competition, with 58 demos. The year before that it was vdgg who was crowned champion with 44 demos. You're going to be a real threat to me this year, 10 demos already, over a third of mine (28)...

Actually according to my stats Archy has 29, j4rio 6, me 6 and Vile 5.

Bleh, I don't know how I came up with j4rio having 10 demos (it's because there's 10 in /INCOMING), I shouldn't be allowed to type this late.

vdgg, where are you getting the 29 demos from?
My demos this year are:
CR21-133
[stopped listing demos after realizing I'm an idiot who can't count]
Never-mind, I stand corrected.

I'm considering making a plutonia nightmare movie. At the moment I doubt I could get very far, but with the new map08 trick it may be possible to finish 10 levels (11 shouldn't be too hard either). The problem with Plutonia is that many of these levels are somewhat luck based, so the ones that aren't that hard to do may be a problem in a movie. Is it true that stx-vile has already done a 1-7 movie?

xit: I got up to map06, but it was a rather half-hearted attempt so I didn't keep the demo. An episode 1 movie sounds reasonable, at least at a glance.

@blob1024: It's not that the new page is splitting the community, as the Compet-N under Adam Hegyi's leadership was a complete separate page the entire time. All that's going on is that it's going back to having it's own page again.