• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Unholypimpin

Unholy Retribution - BOSS WAD

Beta 1.1 link here (REALLY OLD VERSION)
http://www.mediafire.com/?oa4gzbtlz2ohj2d

===========================================================
This is a Single/coop wad iv been making over the past weeks.

This wad features magical weapons and a boss at the end of each map.

Each map will introduce a new weapon which has its own energy type and attacks. Each weapon has strengths and weaknesses to balance things out.
Each Weapon has a main and alt fire. Most weapons are pretty straight forward but this one weapon that isnt is the bloodbane. The alt fire of this weapon reloads the weapon quickly at the cost of 15 life. If you do not use the alt fire than after 8 shots you must endure a long reload time.
Weapons recharge ammo over time, even when not selected. Some weapons do not recharge their ammo unless certain conditions are met. For example the alt fire of the demonskull weapon only gains ammo when you fire its main attack.

The first few maps are short but each map gets longer in length and of course the boss at the end gets harder.

There are 5 finished maps atm
=====================================

Boss fights will have some scripted events.

How you get health and armor is by killing minions, Stronger minions give more health and armor per kill. Things like imps give u 4 armor and 4 health per kill and things like revenants give 8.
==============================================================

During boss fights minions spawn randomly, which provide extra health and armor during fights.

NEED HELP WITH BOSS HEALTH BARS.
If anyone could lend me a hand that would be freakin awesome!!
===========================================

special thanks to Whodaman, Eriance and id for sounds sprites and more. Theres probably more people that need credit but atm i forgot who they are.

This looks really good, but one thing that concerns me - 16 health seems like a lot for killing one revenant, I quite like the idea that killing enemies gives health but I think you should get something like 2 health for an imp and maybe 5 for a revenant?

Health and armor cap at 250 each and maps will be get harder each map and so will bosses. Usually you want to fight a boss with atleast 150 health and armor, 250 of each is alot better though. Its all about the boss fights, though you can still die before the boss fight begins anyways.

One thing to remember is during boss fights minions spawn at random.

This is to allow you to regenerate health and armor in case you mess up and take too many hits from the boss. Also make sure the boss doesnt kill any of the minions or else the boss will get health and armor instead of you.

Normally you wont get to a boss with more than 150 health and armor.
You dont want to start a boss fight with less than 100 health and armor, as you wont know all the bosses attacks and how to avoid them when you first start the fight.

indeed this does look interesting. been a few months though, is this still alive?

It actually has 4 maps done and 1 half way done. I am gonna put out a beta when 5 maps are done.
I was gonna put this out on beta a month ago but I got drawn into my other project which i am now trying to push out into a beta by sunday or monday.

Played it and it's pretty nice, just a few suggestions.

- The electricity weapon needs a custom rail, make it all white (or some light blue).

- Some of the gore seem too transparent

-In map05, after going through a teleporter into a trap in the foggy outside area, i fight a few imps afterwards, i accidentally go back in the teleporter and I had to use noclip because the teleporter back wouldnt work.

-The idle sound for the electricity weapon is a bit loud, it really gave me a headache after listening to it for 50 seconds when i wasn't fighting anything.

-That teleport ability on the cacodemon boss happens way too often, it can get a bit annoying.

-Darken4 has an inescapable lava pit. :/

Nice job though!

Thank you for your feedback.

I probably will remove the idle sound from the lightning staff.

I will get to work on those bugs you found right away. And I will put a teleporter inside the pit.

As for the Final boss's teleport ability, i might nerf it or nerf something else with it.

If you find anymore bugs let me know.

My goal is to make this wad fun but also challenging and good looking.

o snaps. i had forgotten about this and didn't recognize the title. will be downloading this tomorrow ^_^

5 map alpha is out!!

Link is in the OP

Im gonna need some help with the scripts showing the boss health bars so if anyone could help me out that would be great.

Things i changed in this version
==================================
-Skullstaff main fire does 20 more damage now and alt fire has been nerfed by alot, however only costs 5 ammo down from 10
-Crossbow added 75 damage to main and alt fire.
-Bloodbane does 5 more damage and now can fire +8 more times before reloading.
-Lightning staff main attack deals twice as much damage and the altfire does a little more explosive damage
====================================================
map and boss changes
==================
-map04 added teleporters to the lava deathpit so people can escape now. fixed the blue key door so it actually requires the blue key to use now.
-Demosis boss Demosis's teleport spell cooldown has been increased by 100%
-Lord Hythus all this missile attacks have been sped up except for his meteor strike attack.

Looks really good so far how many players maximum can it support? I'll give this a test when I get some free time.

MisriHalek said:

Already did but i want something a little more advanced and flashy.
You know any wads that use health bars that use graphics?

@Springy Atm i dont think this wad is compatible with Zandronum or Skulltag, but as soon as they become more up to date with zdoom I will probably add up to 4 player support. Some bosses will need tinkering though cuz atm their scripts really only work for 1 player.

just played today, i don't know if it is an issue with my version of zdoom (is the latest), but i found something wrong:

crossbow ammo won't display, and it's recharging time is really higth (the ammo not the crossbow).
the altfire of the modified heretic skull staff is nearly useless, i don't even know if it hit something.
altfire of the bloody thing drain health but don't recharge ammo.
weapons placed on the 1° and 5° weapon slot are the only one that are really usefull.

hitbox of the first boss is smaller than it's sprite. also it have way too much health, it is just boring to do...

on the other hand, i really enjoied the levels, pretty cool design, with a standard doom weaponry they are really enjoiable. also the idea of gaining health\armor on killing enemies is good.

TL;DR : gameplay is bad, monsters placement is good and challenging, levels design is really cool, good for multiplayer runs.

Cacowad said:

crossbow ammo won't display, and it's recharging time is really higth (the ammo not the crossbow).
the altfire of the modified heretic skull staff is nearly useless, i don't even know if it hit something.
altfire of the bloody thing drain health but don't recharge ammo.
weapons placed on the 1° and 5° weapon slot are the only one that are really usefull.

hitbox of the first boss is smaller than it's sprite. also it have way too much health, it is just boring to do...

on the other hand, i really enjoied the levels, pretty cool design, with a standard doom weaponry they are really enjoiable. also the idea of gaining health\armor on killing enemies is good.

Im going to have to make a custom hub to display the custom weapon ammo's. The skull staff alt fire got nerfed because it was more useful than any other weapon and raped big bosses too easy, but perhaps ill boost the damage. The alt fire for that weapon atm is only useful vs enemies behind one another in a line.

Im going to redo the bloodbane attacks because i realize its handycaps make it pretty useless atm.

Actually the first boss dies the quickest of any other boss and has the biggest handicap of them all. The problem with the first boss is you gotta figure out his weakness, once you find it youll be saying buff him because hes too weak. Ill increase the first bosses hitbox size.

I hope i can count on your playing and reviewing the next version i put out, its going to have alot of improvements to the maps and gameplay to make it more fun. Also ill be adding weakness's to the other bosses so it requires more thinking to beat them.

This project is not dead and I am currently focusing all my doom modding time on it.

As promised all boss fights are now scripted and have at least 2 scripted events that happen during the fight. I also have been fiddling with the HUD and boss health text which are shown in the video i linked below. There will now be items that you can collect while playing. Many weapon changes have been made but the most noticeable of them is the changes to the Mace weapon.
The mace now only recharges ranged energy when you land a hit on an enemy in melee range. You can now store up to 25 ammo for the mace weapon(which means 25 ranged attacks). I did this to encourage people to actually use the melee attack of this weapon instead of waiting a few seconds for your ranged ammo to replenish.

So far there are 6 maps complete and once I finish the 8th map I will release another demo of this wad.

Here is the video.

Please give me some feedback so I can improve this wad more than I already have.
I mainly want feedback on the HUD but any feedback is welcomed.

Thanks for reading.

How many Doom project do you actually have in progress now? :)

I think I played this some time ago, yet under the name "Death Eternal". I quite liked it, the concept, but I couldn't stand the bosses. I gave up after the second one. Maybe it was just hard to play for me as I don't use mouselook and somehow didn't even realize weapons had altfire.

scifista42 said:

How many Doom project do you actually have in progress now? :)

I think I played this some time ago, yet under the name "Death Eternal". I quite liked it, the concept, but I couldn't stand the bosses. I gave up after the second one. Maybe it was just hard to play for me as I don't use mouselook and somehow didn't even realize weapons had altfire.

Same project just I chose a different name for it. Ya you need to use mouse look and all weapons have altfires. Now more than ever you need to use mouse look because theres a few bosses that require you to shoot at certain things to beat them.

The first two bosses have two obvious weaknesses. The first boss has a 2-3 second period before he launches an attack where you can beat the shit out of him without worrying about taking damage. The second boss can be attacked while hes channeling his ultimate attack for 3-4 seconds before he actually uses it.

I will be working on a zandronum friendly version, so people can play this wad online if they choose not to use LAN. Atm the only way to do multiplayer with this wad is to use LAN.

Don't judge this wad on the old beta because I have made tons of changes since then.

And yes I do have a problem with turning all my ideas I have into projects, which results in me having like 500000 projects XD I am trying to focus on 1 project at a time.