Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blastfrog

How long does it take for new accounts to be approved here?

So, I'm trying to get a friend of mine into Doom modding (so far I've shown him how to use Doom Builder), and I had him register an account here, but apparently new accounts have to be activated by an admin or something first. I looked at the FAQ to see if it says anything about this, but it doesn't. I've PM'd several moderators, only two of them replying saying that they can't do anything. I've also PM'd Bloodshedder, but he never responded, nor did anything.

How can I get my friend's account activated? Note that he already activated it by email, but we're still waiting for the account to be given permission to use the forum functions such as posting.

Didn't know it had to be approved. But then again, it's been so long since I've joined, I don't remember much.

PRIMEVAL said:

Didn't know it had to be approved. But then again, it's been so long since I've joined, I don't remember much.

I certainly don't remember having to do that 5 years ago when I registered here. Must've been recently added, I was a little confused when my friend told me he couldn't post and that it gave him a message saying that it needed to be approved by a staff member or something along those lines.

Quick glance at top of main page...

"Welcome to our newest member, spugehty_n_miitbahlz"

Hmm.

Phml said:

Quick glance at top of main page...

"Welcome to our newest member, spugehty_n_miitbahlz"

Hmm.

I have no idea who that is, but my friend's account is named "freder".

Sodaholic said:

I had him register an account here, but apparently new accounts have to be activated by an admin or something first.

Were you physically with him when he registered an account? It sounds as though he made an error and the account request didn't go through properly. I mean, if "spugehty_n_miitbahlz" got his account approved, I'm sure the process is most likely automated.

Vordakk said:

Were you physically with him when he registered an account? It sounds as though he made an error and the account request didn't go through properly. I mean, if "spugehty_n_miitbahlz" got his account approved, I'm sure the process is most likely automated.

I thought you were being sarcastic, until I clicked the homepage.

Shit.

I registered not more than a month ago, I think, and I don't remember any real delay in getting started. Has your friend checked his spam filter?

I was physically right there when he registered. I saw him pull up his email to click the activation link. When he did, it went to a page on the DW forums that said something like an admin would need to approve his account first or something. He can log in, but it won't let him post. Whenever he clicks on the activation link again, it tells him that his account is activated but that it's in the moderation queue.

It's been more than 24 hours since he registered and it's still not approved as far as I know. Here's his account for reference:

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/members/freder/

Strangely, it says "registered just to make one post" as his status instead of "registered lurker", even though he still hasn't made any posts. Does this mean that he's been approved?

He's busy at the moment and cannot be contacted, I might be able to contact him in a half an hour or so from now to have him see if he can post anything.

He was in the "probation" group, along with the other user mentioned in this thread (the username displayed in the "newest member" header is the last registered username, not the last activated username). I set him to "registered" user, so he should be able to post now. I'm not exactly sure why the activation email put him in the moderation queue instead of immediately activating him, as nothing in his email address should have set off our email ban filters... at least, not in accord with any email bans that we've manually entered. But, having "spamer" as part of your email will likely set you up for at least a few Scunthorpe problems.

At least the approval process isn't like that of the 3d realms forums, I registered to that site last year and they still haven't approved my account since and apparently they have a list of how many unconfirmed accounts there is which is quite large.

Sodaholic said:

So, I'm trying to get a friend of mine into Doom modding . . . and I had him register an account here

You can't fool me, it's a sockpuppet account! :P

GreyGhost said:

Make one drink a glass of water while the other one is speedmapping - gogogo!

Looking forward to seeing another new face around here. Actually, I'm pleasantly surprised at how tolerant (not to mention understanding) of noobs this community is.

GreyGhost said:

Believe me, we're not the same people. :P I have a feeling you guys are probably gonna like him more than me, since he actually has self restraint, isn't obnoxious, and is very mature (all qualities unlike me :P).

Sodaholic said:

Believe me, we're not the same people. :P I have a feeling you guys are probably gonna like him more than me, since he actually has self restraint, isn't obnoxious, and is very mature (all qualities unlike me :P).

How is this person friends with you? Something's not adding up. :P

Mr. T said:

Scunthorpe? That's clbuttic!

Filters like that should be buttbuttinated.

schwerpunk said:

Make one drink a glass of water while the other one is speedmapping - gogogo!

Looking forward to seeing another new face around here. Actually, I'm pleasantly surprised at how tolerant (not to mention understanding) of noobs this community is.

When they are well-behaved, mostly sane, and display an IQ above that of a chimp. Otherwise extensive ridicule and/or losering are often in their immediate future.

Sodaholic said:

You could have just said that your friends aren't that bad, seriously.

I've been waiting for an activation email from Romero's website for several years now.

As far as Scunthorpe problems go, the worst one around here is when you post a link that happens to have XD in it.

The approval system was recently added, I'd guess, because of some ban-evading guy with a horrible mod who kept re-regging accounts with a proxy and reposting the same shite over and over. He's been banned upwards of twenty times, I think, which is a figure I just pulled out of my ass yet sounds not only plausible but seems like a really low figure. :P

SPECULATION POST-DISCLAIMER

He's in "Users awaiting e-mail confirmation", so either he never clicked the link in the e-mail he got or he put his address in wrong.