Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reinchard666

Reinchards high resolution textures and sprites - demo available

bcwood16 said:

Never really understood what EXITDOOR actually is.....well obviously a door you exit through BUT is it some kind of air lock?

Its a great start so far though :)

I've always imagined it as an airlock...Well, except for the first time I played doom and I thought it was some kind of weird Egyptian style thing.

Reinchard666 said:

I'll try reduce the shadows in BROWN1.

Reduce? I think you should increase them! Or are you gonna retroactively remove shading from the original texture so that it starts looking more flat and like your version? :D

UPDATE 08.07.2012
Here are the available textures:
TEKWALL4

STARGR2

STARTAN1

STARTAN3

BROWN1

EXITDOOR

Exitdoor ingame:

The middle line in Brown1 is now little brighter.

Reinchard666 said:

The middle line in Brown1 is now little brighter.

Whyyyy
i was asking for the exact opposite D: Just look at them from afar / as thumbnails side by side!
On another note, the tekwall is fantastic and oh my god wow.

Antroid said:

Whyyyy
i was asking for the exact opposite D: Just look at them from afar / as thumbnails side by side!
/B]

This was the idea from Zdoom forum.

The main EXITDOOR texture looks too dark compared to the original. Also, it should have a moldy green tint instead of a rusted gold and the caution sign looks washed out. Here's an in-game shot of the original.

P.S. Your screenshot's gamma correction is too damn high!

I have to agree, your EXITDOOR looks kind of unfinished. Also, STARTAN1 could use a bit more detail, but that's just me. I really liked the little details you've put in the other textures, perhaps you could add something to this one as well?

These are starting to look REALLY nice! Finally hires textures that don't suck ;-)

Flynn Taggart said:

P.S. Your screenshot's gamma correction is too damn high! [/B]

I have to agree, it seems the gamma is set way too high in the screen shots, expect it just goes like that after a screenshot, but it does make it a little harder to see how is all supposed to look.

Thanks, I'll try to fix it.

Flynn Taggart said:

The main EXITDOOR texture looks too dark compared to the original. Also, it should have a moldy green tint instead of a rusted gold and the caution sign looks washed out. Here's an in-game shot of the original.

P.S. Your screenshot's gamma correction is too damn high!

There must be something wrong in image server because I don't use gamma correction. I'll check this next time.
And I'm not sure about more details in startan. What kind of details you talking about? Too much dirt can ruin final effect in game.

Reinchard666 said:

Thanks, I'll try to fix it.

There must be something wrong in image server because I don't use gamma correction. I'll check this next time.
And I'm not sure about more details in startan. What kind of details you talking about? Too much dirt can ruin final effect in game.

Not necesarrily dirt, just some small delails like the cracks in BROWN1 or the extra computers in STARGR1. The old one, while iconic, has very little details but that is fine because it is low resolution. When it has a higher resolution, the lack of detail is more apparent and makes it look a little empty - even if it is a very faithful recreation(like yours) Oh yeah, and I was referring to STARTAN1 not STARTAN3. STARTAN3 is really really good.

DooM_RO said:

Not necesarrily dirt, just some small delails like the cracks in BROWN1 or the extra computers in STARGR1. The old one, while iconic, has very little details but that is fine because it is low resolution. When it has a higher resolution, the lack of detail is more apparent and makes it look a little empty - even if it is a very faithful recreation(like yours) Oh yeah, and I was referring to STARTAN1 not STARTAN3. STARTAN3 is really really good.

Maybe you're right, I think about this.

This is what I'm workin on over the last few weeks - COMPUTE2, one of the most time-consuming textures. First I'm must create textures for every single panel. Not everything is done yet and there are still few elements missing, but there is 80% done.

COMPUTE2:

Ingame:

Comparison with oryginal:

It could be Jpeg related compression or GZDoom's renderer in general or just the specific GZDoom renderer settings he's using.

The texture seems kind of blurry anyway, it took my eyes a second to adjust to it. I'm not sure how it could be sharper.

Nice. The version of that texture that had been in the old hi-res pack for the past 10 years or so is utterly horrible, and this is a vast improvement. I like the thick beveling.

Nomad said:

The texture seems kind of blurry anyway, it took my eyes a second to adjust to it. I'm not sure how it could be sharper.

It looks plenty sharp to me. Are you sure something's not wrong on your end?

This is by far the most complicated, complex and time consuming doom texture to re-render into hi-res. This texture is the main reason that i took a long break from doing any work on Ascension. It was just that tedious for me.

I realy do like what you have done here. I am quite excited to see the end result. It is good that you are getting this one out of the way early in your project. Good work.

I don't know...it's a very faithful representation but it looks too low tech. Like something from the '80s? What do you think about making it a little more futuristic?

Vermil said:

It could be Jpeg related compression or GZDoom's renderer in general or just the specific GZDoom renderer settings he's using.

I feel using the jpeg compression isn't such a good idea because of the compression artifacts.

DooM_RO said:

looks too low tech. Like something from the '80s? What do you think about making it a little more futuristic?

Many older visions of the future become 'dated' as time passes.

I mean, 'Corridor7: Alien Invasion', developed in 1994, takes place in 2012 (eep!), yet the computer monitors are CRT ;)

I hope that makes sense; I had difficulty writing it.

DooM_RO said:

I don't know...it's a very faithful representation but it looks too low tech. Like something from the '80s? What do you think about making it a little more futuristic?

ummm, I do like this idea, but also would not want to see anything sway too much from the original. As level design is basic and open, anything too sophisticated would stand out too much. Having saying that it would be good to compare and see how it fits.

The blurry effect of screenshots must be caused by my resolution settings or something. On my monitor everything look sharp, but when I look at my posts in my work, where I have smaller monitor, then I see some parts are blurry.
Anyway I'm make some test with flats to see how whole thing will look together. I was inspired a debate from thread "Anything to make DOOM a little bit newer?!". I agree with the opinion that highres stuff don't feet well in classic maps on Doom engine. But I think if textures are made correctly and very similar to his originals, there are still Doomish feeling in game. I always imagined correct hires textures for Doom this way - if you are far from a wall, there texture look like original, but if you come closer, then you see sharp shapes and new details instead of pixels. Anyway here's my quick test. Flats are in progress, so I know there are far away from perfect. But in my opinion this still look very similar to Classic Doom and have Doom feeling. Maybe I'm wrong.

And about the comp texture there is not done yet, but I think there is no reason to change them to look more futuristic then original.

Marnetmar said:

I hope you add more rust/grime/etc to the comp texture before it's finished. Looks good.

Not necessarily just rust/grime, he could put extra buttons or some wiring or make some of the smaller panels torn out like in doom 3.

I agree with Reinchard, the textures should look exactly the same from a distance but if you look closer you see all kinds of new details. STARTAN could really use such treatment because it looks rather plain.Maybe a few cracks?Or a busted panel showing what's BEHIND the metal sheet?

Nice detail. It really ages the texture. makes it seem like the phobos bases haven't been inhabited by humans for a few years. That, or the paint was laid on too thick and it cracked as it dried.

Thanks. I'm still working on comp texture (currently on cables) but in break I'm make very rough version of DOORTRAK:

NiuHaka, if you want you can use some of my textures in your project, there all are free for use.