Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NiTROACTiVE

Project: Illuminatus (32-level Megawad) [Full WAD Finally Released To /idgames]

Ever since the beginning of 2012, I have been making a megawad for Doom 2. The megawad has a classic style to it with 32 maps (30 normal maps and 2 secret maps). I would also like some advice on how to make my megawad better.

For some questions you might ask about this megawad, go here for a list of questions.

For the skies in the megawad, go here for information on that.

[100 Percent Done] 32 out of 32 maps done (30/30 normal maps, 2/2 secret maps)

As of 12/20/2013, we are 100 percent done with the mapping of Illuminatus! Beta testing details will come soon after death match spawns and items are placed.

12/21/2013 Update: I have cancelled the death match option because of problems such as too huge of maps to play as well as MAP23 having a certain feature that might make it frustrating for players. However, the beta testing details have been released here.

Go here for the YouTube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlld1AX185I

Official Downloads

Official Download Link:

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/megawads/illumi

Alternative Download Link:

https://www.doomworld.com/files/file/18859-illuminatus-v100/

Other Downloads
Go here for the first episode of Illuminatus:
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=16885

Go here for the first and second episodes of Illuminatus (older maps have been changed and/or have bug fixes):
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=17317

Go here for the beta release of Illuminatus. Contains all three episodes, but has problems. Read this for more info:
https://www.mediafire.com/?8ndg4o6qlru5r7a

Go here for the older versions of MAP01 and MAP02 of Illuminatus:
http://www.mediafire.com/?3g4bpc0opm919e5

Go here for the older version of MAP15 of Illuminatus:
http://www.mediafire.com/?nbl432qk2ipdnnn

Outdated Beta Testing Info:

Level Testers (Bug Finders):
1. GreyGhost
2. Satori Komeiji (YouTube)
3. General Rainbow Bacon

Level Testers (Game Players):
1. <empty>
2. <empty>
3. <empty>

Texture/Flat Checkers:
1. <empty>
2. <empty>
3. <empty>

Possible Future Beta Testers:
Mr. Chris
Obsidian

Edited by NiTROACTiVE

Chex Warrior said:

Any screenshots yet?

Yes there are, and you can find all of the screenshots I posted so far here. I'll also be posting more sometime.

Philnemba said:

That's an interesting sky your using for the first 11 maps.

Thanks but I'm not too sure if I'm going to use this one because it's an edit of a sky from a different WAD. But we'll see what happens.

Chex Warrior said:

Cool, the shots look very classic, looking forward to it.

Thanks and I'll post more when I make more levels.

This looks pretty nice and I'm looking forward for it.

What's your current progress? Like, how many maps done so far?

Ven said:

This looks pretty nice and I'm looking forward for it.

What's your current progress? Like, how many maps done so far?

Thanks, and I have 5 out of 32 maps done. If you want to see my progress with the maps, look for the bolded word Progress in the thread with all the info about the megawad, and you'll see the info on the progress of the megawad by it.

Sorry to double post, but MAP06 is done! Here's a screenshot of part of the map:

Also, do you want me to post preview screenshots of MAP03 and MAP05 too?

jointritual said:

Nice and old school, Good luck finishing 32 levels you'll need it!

Thanks and you're right, I do need good luck to finish 32 levels/

Also, MAP07 is done and here's a preview screenshot:

It's similar to Dead Simple only it's at a base and it's harder.

Also, I decided to use the sky I showed up in the first post of this thread. In case you're wondering how it's slightly modified, there were small gray pixels on the mountains which I colored to brown.

NitroactiveStudios said:

The source port I use to test this megawad is ZDoom, but because the game format is Doom 2, it might work with all source ports.

It probably won't though. The only way to be sure is to test (or ask others to test) using different ports. At the very least, try it with PrBoom, and maybe even Chocolate Doom if you intend for this to be a vanilla PWAD. If not, then just mark it as Zdoom-only in your TXT file.

Also, if you want it to just be limit-removing, make sure you test it with Prboom+ in complevel 2.

hex11 said:

It probably won't though. The only way to be sure is to test (or ask others to test) using different ports. At the very least, try it with PrBoom, and maybe even Chocolate Doom if you intend for this to be a vanilla PWAD. If not, then just mark it as Zdoom-only in your TXT file.

Hmm I'm then going to have to figure out a way to have people test it on different source ports.

Anyways, here's a preview of MAP03:

And here's a preview of MAP05:

As you can see in the photo of MAP03 the sky looks normal. It's because I had Stretch Short Skies on and I turned it off.

MAP08 is done! Here is a screenshot:

It's got a Doom/The Ultimate Doom E1M1 feel to it. It also has a soundproof window inspired by MAP09 of Final Doom: TNT - Evilution.

Also I made some changes to MAP06 by adding soundproof windows at the beginning area so that monsters in the building don't see or hear you too early.

MAP09 is finally done! Sorry for the wait, I was busy with other stuff. Here's a screenshot:

Also, when I get MAP10 done I'll upload a WAD with earlier versions of MAP01 & MAP02. But remember that the versions I'll upload of those two maps will be different from the final project.

Liking the old school vibe i get from these shots~ Keep up the good work.

The screenshots are definitely promising, yet another megawad for me to look forward to. :) What ideas do you have for a soundtrack?

Aldaraia said:

The screenshots are definitely promising, yet another megawad for me to look forward to. :) What ideas do you have for a soundtrack?

I plan on using tracks from Doom/The Ultimate Doom and Doom 2: Hell on Earth. Each level will have their own track.

Memfis said:

On map02 I fell between some crates and couldn't get out: pic

Thanks for the heads up. We'll get that fixed. If you find anymore problems then let me know.

MAP11 is done. Here's a preview screenshot:

The level has some air crafts like in MAP08. Anyways I have 2 announcements to make.

First off I'm planning to release the first episode of Illuminatus to Doomworld's /idgames soon because I would like people to play it to see if there are any errors that I can fix for the final version.

Second off I made a website for my Doom Projects not too long ago and you can look at it by going here.

I'm bumping this thread with an update. I just released the first episode of Illuminatus to /idgames and it will be here soon.

Also, here's what the TITLEPIC looks like:

The left picture was made by me and the right one has added special photoshop effects added by EarthQuake.

There's also the M_DOOM graphic which looks like this:

The left one was made by me, the center one has added special photoshop effects added by EarthQuake as well like the TITLEPIC (I made the picture a bit bigger) and the right one has bigger outlining. Of the center and right M_DOOM graphics which one do you like best?

There was a thread discussing about these graphics in this thread.

I have another update. The first episode of Illuminatus was just posted to /idgames! You can download it here.

I also have some things to say about my megawad.

First off, besides the Doom 1 graphics, I have added new flats and textures to the megawad. Most of them are from graphic WADs from Realm667 while three graphics (one flat and two sidedef textures) were made with the patches from the Doom IWADs. I'll show them later.

Second off, the final project will be different from the first two versions of the megawad. So if you find things that are different from the other versions in the final version, then I've changed some things for certain reasons.

Finally, I want to inform you that I've been working on MAP12 for the second episode and I'll post a preview screenshot when I get that level done.

That's all for now. I hope you enjoy the first episode.

MAP12 is finally done! The map was inspired by the WAD TRENCH.WAD, but don't worry it looks much better than that map. Here's a screenshot:

In case you're wondering what happened to the list of questions I might be asked and the skyboxes, I moved them on my website because it looked too big for the thread. The questions can be found here while the info on the skyboxes can be found here.

Also here are the custon flats and sidedefs I'll be using for this WAD:

For the sidedefs from various Realm667 texture packs, the railing came from Final Doom Textures, the dirt like sidedef came from Recolored Doom Texture Pack and both square metal tile sidedefs came from Nightmare Texture Pack. There's also a black wall and flat that is inspired by Plutonia 2. I also made yet another texture that's based on Doom related media but it's a secret and you'll have to find it in episode 2.

Also, on the Illuminatus: Episode 1 /idgames page, I got this review:

The good: Maps are fun, you can blitz through them without hassle. Acceptable looks. The bad: Too many doors, repetitive and squarish designs, lots of flow issues, comp panel details. These maps aren't bad, but they are mediocre. 3/5

It made me think I might have to fix some of they maps a bit to make it seem better. So should I get rid of some of the doors and COMPPANEL flats? Some suggestions and advice would be nice.

NitroactiveStudios said:

Also, on the Illuminatus: Episode 1 /idgames page, I got this review:
It made me think I might have to fix some of they maps a bit to make it seem better. So should I get rid of some of the doors and COMPPANEL flats? Some suggestions and advice would be nice.

i haven't yet played your maps, but...

lately when i've been designing sp maps, i've been trying to stay away from doors almost completely, with the only exception being keyed doors and stuff. i think a lot of mappers, especially in their first years, tend to see mapping as generally just a string of rooms put together, which i suppose it really is. but when someone starts building maps as if it's one big *structure*, rather than a series of small parts, the flow improves and the design gets a lot more interesting. (see any of Mechadon's SP maps, as they're all designed like DM maps but it still works really well)

so i would try thinking about it like that. instead of sitting down and thinking "i need to build a few rooms in this map today," go into it with the mindest that you'll be *expanding* on what's already there, building tunnels where the room shapes suggest they should be, adding windows and adjacent areas on surfaces (rather than just slapping a door in the middle of a big flat wall).

also i think everyone at one point or another was addicted to the COMP textures, thanks especially to tromentror667. imo flow is much more important at this stage, and once you get that down then you can focus on also detailing in a similar way, i.e. letting room shapes suggest places to add layering etc, rather than simply putting a COMP panel in the wall to fill the void.

Tango is very wise indeed. These are skills that come from experience and experimentation. It took me at least 4 years before I started getting any real grasp of flow and gameplay driven architecture. I put a lot of focus on these elements in Speedy Shit and Ganymede, where you'll find doors only when I want to either block the player or slow them down intentionally (less so in E1, but hey that was 3 years ago dammit), and the quality of my maps increased tenfold imo.

Just my 2 cents. :)

yeah. and it's taken me a really long time as well. for myself, at least, a lot of the reason it took so many years (i've already been mapping for 8 years wtf, that's almost half my life) is that i didn't even think of it. i was never conscious of my maps being rooms slapped together, and didn't really recognize it when other mappers had conquered that. if you are aware of it though, and consciously considering flow when you create, it'll come much quicker than it did to me.

i was also in 6th grade when i started, so i already had a bit of an intellectual disadvantage :p

In id Software's original Doom maps, Doors are generally used to intentionally slow down the flow of gameplay. St.Alfonzo wrote a good essay on door usage in Doom.wad maps and how they're used to affect layout flow, for the Doom the Way id Did project last year.