Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Insomniak

U.S. drops bombs on Canadians training.

Lüt said:

Uh, how are you gonna blame the entire armed forces cause one person made a booboo?

They're pretty much trained to work together in the armed forces (as far as i know)

Lüt said:
retard

ha ha ha...unoriginalass bastard. That wasn't even funny the first 63 times you said it.

You think i'm overreacting, but 2 of the 4 were from my province, and there are cities with higher populations than Nova Scotia...

the_Danarchist said:

My life would have been a lot more meaningful were I born in Canada...or better yet, Germany.

The Germans aren't too popular either.
It's more than 50 years since WW2 ended and some morons in other countries (including my own *sigh*) STILL walk about considering them as nazis and aggressive.
I mean, German youngsters can barely go on vacation without being verbally abused.
A year ago, I stumbled across a photocopied article (it must have been used in connection with a class discussion) where a German girl had been interviewed about how non-Germans have an awful lot of disregard for Germans - she said in that interview that she went on holiday to England when a bunch of youngsters yelled "FUCK THE GERMANS!!!!!" at them.
Also, Germany is currently suffering from a lot of unemplyment in eastern Germany as far as I've heard, so being German isn't all that great y'know.

the_Danarchist said:

Because, Canadians are so much cooler than Americans. It sucks to be an American. Everyone automaticaly thinks you are an asshole if they find out you are American. Even worse, a lot of them try to kill you. My life would have been a lot more meaningful were I born in Canada...or better yet, Germany.

I'd rather be an american than any other nationality.

You dont see us crashing planes into other country's monuments and buildings

you never hear about an american with a bomb strapped to his chest going crazy and taking preschools hostage in some foreign country

and when all the bad shit goes down, we're always the ones that provide relief

sure, accidents happen. human nature.

plus i dont want a fucking leaf on our flag.

I don't know, I'm happy with what I am and what country I was born in.
I'll try not to judge the Americans, because I haven't met that many of them personally, so I can't judge them as people.
I have only spoken to very few Americans in my whole life (I think I've only spoken to two of 'em) and they both seemed to be decent people.

Tobester said:

shaddup, fatty

Fat? Fodders?
Nah, he ain't fat, he's just big.

The road is long, with many a winding turn, that leads us to who knows where, who know where.

But I'm strong, strong enough to carry him. He ain't heavy, he's my brother.

So on we go. His welfare is of my concern. No burden is he to bear, we'll get there.

For I know he would not encumber me. He ain't heavy, he's my brother.

If I'm laden at all, I'm laden with sadness that everyone's heart isn't filled with the gladness of love for one another.

It's a long, long road, from which there is no return. While we're on the way to there, why not share?

And the load doesn't weigh me down at all. He ain't heavy, he's my brother.

dsm said:

The Germans aren't too popular either.
It's more than 50 years since WW2 ended and some morons in other countries (including my own *sigh*) STILL walk about considering them as nazis and aggressive.
I mean, German youngsters can barely go on vacation without being verbally abused.
A year ago, I stumbled across a photocopied article (it must have been used in connection with a class discussion) where a German girl had been interviewed about how non-Germans have an awful lot of disregard for Germans - she said in that interview that she went on holiday to England when a bunch of youngsters yelled "FUCK THE GERMANS!!!!!" at them.
Also, Germany is currently suffering from a lot of unemplyment in eastern Germany as far as I've heard, so being German isn't all that great y'know.

Yeah, I get that and I was born in America, and I'm only half German.

But thats not really why I like Germany so much. The main reason is their educational system:
1) No retarded holidays every other week, in fact theres hardly a summer break
2) 13 years of high school...I'd kill for another year right now
3) School is over by lunch time. That means a) a shorter day, and b) no retarded 11:30 lunch breaks
4) FREE COLLEGES
5) I heard in some schools, they have the classes so the teachers come to the student's class, and not the other way around. But that's more of a luxury. Heh.

the_Danarchist said:

2) 13 years of high school...I'd kill for another year right now

Uhh, they only have three years in Gymnasium (that's the kind of school that's equivalent to your high schools).
Where the Hell did you get the idea that they have 13 years of high school?

dsm said:

Where the Hell did you get the idea that they have 13 years of high school?

It's Dan, don't worry, he just misspelled 3.

How many years in high-school do you have in the US?

Then why does Danny complain that he doesn't get more high-school years compared to in Germany?

dsm said:

How many years in high-school do you have in the US?

Depends. Some people go to grade school thru 6th grade, followed by 3 years of middle school and 3 years of high school. Others (like me) went to grade school thru 8th grade followed by 4 years of high school.

Back on the original point, many of us get harrassed, attacked or worse by people of the same nationality. I've lost count of the times i've been called 'goth', 'freak' 'devil-worshiper' etc behind my back, and that's just the people i used to work with!
Prejudice has already tainted half the people on this planet, and it's gonna take us some time to wipe it clean.

Heh...oh shit...I meant 13 years of school TOTAL. They have like 13 grades, from what I've heard.

Typical English education route...
Age 3-5yrs nursery
5-11 Primary School
11-16 Secondary School, during last year, which can be from age 13 to 16 depending on skill of student...
General Certificate of Secondary Education (GCSE):
Students study in from the age of 13 to 16 a range of subjects (from 5 to 11 subjects but normally 8). These subjects are examined in the 5th Form of Secondary School by taking GCSE examinations.
A Levels:
Students may stay for a further 2 years in their Secondary School to study normally 3 subjects at A Level. They join the Lower Sixth Form and progress to the Upper Sixth Form. Some students may take A Levels at a Sixth Form College or a College of Further Education. The choice of A Levels will determine the subject a student can study at University. Engineering courses, for example, will normally require Maths and Physics.
Undergraduate (or First) Degrees:
Typically, this is a Bachelors Degree which is termed a BSc for a Science Degree, a BA for an Arts Degree, or more recently, a BEng for an Engineering Degree. They normally take 3 years to complete. However, some degrees may take 4 years to complete if they include i) a year abroad, ii) an industrial placement or iii) an additional subject.
A new development is the introduction of the Masters of Engineering (MEng). This can be a little confusing as the MEng is still an undergraduate degree. It is however an enhanced 4 year undergraduate degree which incorporates additional subjects studied at a deeper level. Students with above average ability are normally selected for these courses which usually follow the appropriate BEng degree until the later stages of the degree.
Postgraduate Degrees
Students with good grades in their undergraduate degree may choose to take a Masters Degree (MSc or MA) which takes a minimum of 1 year to complete. This may be a taught Masters which typically involves 6 months of intensive tuition followed by 6 months of project work resulting in the submission of a dissertation.
Alternatively, students may register for a Masters Degree by Research which results in the submission of an MSc Thesis. Students wanting to continue to study for a PhD will undertake a further 2 years minimum of research following the award of their MSc (irrespective of whether this was by research or taught course). In some situations, a student may transfer from MSc to PhD so that they follow a three year research programme for PhD without first obtaining a MSc.

Hmm...American schools go like this:

Age 4 Preschool: Glorified daycare
Age 5 Kindergarten: Prepares kids for elementry school (whatever that means)
Age 6-12 Elementary: Grades 1-6 (or 1-5 is some areas)
Age 12-15 Junior High (or Middle School): Grades 7-9 (6-8 for middle schools)
Age 15-18 High School: Grades 10-12 (or 9-12)

After that, you're on your own.

the_Danarchist said:

Heh...oh shit...I meant 13 years of school TOTAL. They have like 13 grades, from what I've heard.

Yep that's correct, we have the same number of years at school in my country too, IF you choose a school education after the 9 years in what would be similar to both primary and secondary schools (we have only one type of school before the last three "medium to higher" level educations, unlike in Britain and in the US).

Heh, kindergarten prepares kids for programming. :p I just hate that my mum started me a year early, then let me get skipped a grade. In grade 10 I was barely 5 feet tall and got my ass kicked constantly. Thanks mom! Oh well, I'm big and burly now and not at all bitter.

Nah, actually I am quite bitter. :)

13 years? Woah, makes my paltry 9 seem like heaven. Heaven in which i spent most of my time getting my arse kicked, shot at and generally dragged through the mud.
Oh, how i look back and laugh.
Hang on, no i don't...

By the way, if it means anything, I'd just like to defend the Americans for a moment... or rather, I'd like to defend the good people in America.

Sure, we've got screw-ups. Especially in our military. I liked Bill Clinton because he wasn't so militarily reckless. But I think everything other country has their blithering idiots too. And personally, I'd like it if we didn't need a military at all. But the world is the way the world is.

I hate to think someone puts a label on me because I was born in a certain place. But it happens. What I can't stand is that I know some amazing people. They're inspirational peace loving sorts. And most people just want to get along in their lives. I mean, all you people who think Americans are stupid, reckless, mean, or anything else, give us a break. I can't help what everything is like, but I try to at least give people a chance.

I'm going to shut up now.

JavaGuy said:

Sure, we've got screw-ups. Especially in our military. I liked Bill Clinton because he wasn't so militarily reckless. But I think everything other country has their blithering idiots too. And personally, I'd like it if we didn't need a military at all. But the world is the way the world is.

VOTE NADER

JavaGuy said:

By the way, if it means anything, I'd just like to defend the Americans for a moment... or rather, I'd like to defend the good people in America.

I hate to think someone puts a label on me because I was born in a certain place. But it happens. What I can't stand is that I know some amazing people. They're inspirational peace loving sorts. And most people just want to get along in their lives. I mean, all you people who think Americans are stupid, reckless, mean, or anything else, give us a break. I can't help what everything is like, but I try to at least give people a chance.

I'm going to shut up now.

That's a very valid argument - you don't need to shut up. Germans also have that problem with people labelling them in a bad way. Problem is that people need a scapegoat - most of Europe has appointed the US as the scapegoat of most "bad occurences". The US also has its own scapegoats (Russia, and generally communist countries during the Cold War).

The reason that America has more than it's fair share of cockups, I think, is because of the slacker discipline in the American forces. It has become, and this is the same as during the Vietnam war, less rigid, the older military training instilled in the troops fear of their superiors, they knew if they did one thing wrong they were heavily punished, it is essential, from a military standpoint, that when an order is given, it is not questioned, it is obeyed without hesitation, something that does not fit well with the modern army approach. When I was serving the rule was "Obey the last order", which meant, you did as you were told and complained later. If this had been the mantra of the Airforce, the pilot would have only to have been told once not to bomb, instead, he got into an arguement, and then went ahead and bombed. With today's lack of discipline there would be no way that men would have fought in trench warfare and blindly gone "over the top" to certain death.

A Message to Aviation Cadets
Entering the U. S. Naval Flight Preparatory Schools
(April, 1943)

...Discipline means that you subject your-self to control exerted for the good of the whole. It is absolutely indispensable in a military organization.

Two essentials of discipline are obedience to proper authority and uniform obedience by all.

Discipline is a necessary component of every phase of military life. If you willingly subject yourself to Its standards, you will soon learn to respect it and therefore never have to fear it. Unlike small boys who try to see how much they can get away with, Aviation Cadets must enforce regulations upon themselves and later upon others. Willful infraction of regulations will result in punishment for the offender. You will find, however, that discipline at the U. S. Naval Flight Preparatory School is used chiefly to mold, correct, improve, and develop qualities of leadership in cadets.

Three reasons why men accept discipline are fear of punishment, cheerful and spontaneous acquiescence because of faith in their cause, and respect for the confidence their leaders place in them.

Most of the discipline of the Navy rests either upon tradition or on the basic laws that comprise The Articles for the Government of the Navy. These "Articles" comprise the "Constitution" of the Navy and from them most Naval regulations and instructions have been derived.

The Rules of Discipline are:
Obey orders cheerfully and willingly.
Obey the last order received from any responsible authority.
Show respect to your seniors at all times.
Remember that you will soon be a leader and will be giving orders. You will be responsible then to see that those under you obey. You must first learn to be obedient yourself before you can expect to be a leader of other men.
Discipline does not mean short liberties, restrictions of personal conduct, and forced obedience to all sorts of rules and regulations. It does mean self-control, a cheerful obedience to necessary laws and regulations, and a square deal to your fellowmen.

It seems a shame that the Articles from 1930 have been watered down :)
Articles for the Government of the United States Navy, 1930
...Article 4
The punishment of death, or such other punishment as a court martial may adjudge, may be inflicted on any person in the naval service --

Who makes, or attempts to make, or unites with any mutiny or mutinous assembly, or, being witness to or present at any mutiny does not do his utmost to suppress it; or, knowing of any mutinous assembly or of any intended mutiny, does not immediately communicate his knowledge to his superior or commanding officer;
Or disobeys the lawful orders of his superior officers;
Or strikes or assaults, or attempts or threatens to strike or assault, his superior officer while in the execution of the duties of his office;
Or gives any intelligence to, or holds or entertains any intercourse with, an enemy or rebel, without leave from the President, the Secretary of the Navy, the commander in chief of the fleet, the commander of the squadron, or, in case of a vessel acting singly, from his commanding officer;
Or receives any message or letter from an enemy or rebel, or, being aware of the unlawful reception of such message or letter, fails to take the earliest opportunity to inform his superior or commanding officer thereof;
Or, in time of war, deserts or entices others to desert;
Or, in time of war, deserts or betrays his trust, or entices or aids others to desert or betray their trust;
Or, sleeps upon his watch;
Or leaves his station before being regularly relieved;
Or intentionally or willfully suffers any vessel of the Navy to be stranded, or run upon rocks or shoals, or improperly hazarded or maliciously or willfully injures any vessel of the Navy, or any part of her tackle, armament, or equipment, whereby the safety the vessel is hazarded or the lives of the crew exposed to danger.
Or unlawfully sets on fire, or otherwise unlawfully destroys any public property not at the time in possession of an enemy, pirate or rebel;
Or strikes or attempts to strike the flag to an enemy or rebel without proper authority, or, when engaged in battle, treacherously yields or pusillanimously cries for quarter;
Or, in time of battle, displays cowardice, negligence, or disaffection, or withdraws from or keeps out of danger to which he should expose himself;
Or, in time of battle, deserts his duty or station, or entices others to do so;
Or does not properly observe the orders of his commanding officer, and use his utmost exertions to carry them into execution when ordered to prepare for or join in, or when actually engaged in, battle, or while in sight of an enemy;
Or, being in command of a fleet, squadron, or vessel acting singly, neglects, when an engagement is probable, or when an armed vessel of an enemy or rebel is in sight, to prepare and clear his ship or ships for action;
Or does not, upon signal for battle, use his utmost exertions to join in battle;
Or fails to encourage in his own person, his inferior officers and men to fight courageously;
Or does not do his utmost to overtake and capture or destroy any vessel which it is his duty to encounter;
Or does not afford all practicable relief and assistance to vessels belonging to the United States or their allies when engaged in battle.
Article 8
Such punishment as a court-martial may adjudge may be inflicted on any person in the Navy --

Who is guilty of profane swearing, falsehood, drunkenness, gambling, fraud, theft, or any other scandalous conduct tending to the destruction of good morals;
Or is guilty of cruelty toward or oppression or maltreatment of any person subject to his orders;
Or quarrels with, strikes, or assaults, or uses provoking or reproachful words, gestures, or menaces toward any person in the Navy;
Or endeavors to foment quarrels between other persons in the Navy;
Or sends or accepts a challenge to fight a duel or acts as a second in a duel;
Or treats his superior officer with contempt, or is disrespectful to him in language or deportment, while in the execution of his office;
Or joins in or abets any combination to weaken the lawful authority of or lessen the respect due to his commanding officer;
Or utters any seditious or mutinous words;
Or is negligent or careless in obeying orders or culpably inefficient in the performance of duty;
Or does not use his best exertions to prevent the unlawful destruction of public property by others;
Or, through inattention or negligence, suffers any vessel of the Navy to be stranded, or run upon a rock or shoal, or hazarded;
Or, when attached to any vessel appointed as convoy to any merchant or other vessels, fails diligently to perform his duty, or demands or exacts any compensation for his services, or maltreats the officers or crews of such merchant or other vessels;
Or takes, receives, or permits to be received, on board the vessel to which he is attached any goods or merchandise for freight, sale, or traffic, except gold, silver, or jewels for freight or safe-keeping; or demands or receives any compensation for the receipt or transportation of any other article than gold, silver, or jewels without authority from the President or Secretary of the Navy;
Or knowingly makes or signs, or aids, abets, directs, or procures the making or signing of, any false muster;
Or wastes any ammunition, provisions, or other public property, or, having power to prevent it, knowingly permits such waste;
Or, when on shore, plunders, abuses, or maltreats any inhabitant or injures his property in any way;
Or refuses or fails to use his utmost exertions to detect, apprehend, and bring to punishment all offenders, or to aid all persons appointed for that purpose;
Or, when rated or acting as master-at-arms, refuses to receive such prisoners as may be committed to his charge, or, having received them, suffers them to escape, or dismisses them without orders from the proper authority;
Or is absent from his station or duty without leave or after his leave has expired;
Or violates or refuses obedience to any lawful general order or regulation issued by the Secretary of the Navy;
Or, in time of peace, deserts or attempts to desert, or aids and entices others to desert;
Or receives or entertains any deserter from any other vessel of the Navy, knowing him to be such, and does not, with all convenient speed, give notice of such deserter to the commander of the vessel to which he belongs, or to the commander in chief, or to the commander of the squadron.
:)

Fod's post

Hm? I was always under the impression that the superiors in the US army were more harsh on their troops than in my country - maybe that means that we are even worse than them.

One reason could be that, at this point in history, there is a historically low ratio of enlisted men to commisioned/noncommisioned officers. Anybody who sticks around for a four-year term will usually spend the last year or two as a buck sergeant or a specialist. There are also more warrant officers and specialists, those people who get the respect and pay of officers and noncoms but can't lead men.