Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Andy Johnsen

Kim "Mutator" Malde passed away

I'm saddened to the core to bring the news that Kim "Mutator" Malde passed away last weekend. I'm devastated by this sudden unexpected loss. To me its nothing short of losing a family member, and he have left a void that will always be there.

Kim was a long time member of the Doom community, and one of the absolute reasons why Alien Vendetta came to fruition. He will probably be best remembered for his epic Map20 in said megawad, the hyper-detailed egyptian themed map (by far the map that received the most feedback in the entire set). But his work extended into every technical aspect of putting the megawad together, and I was 100% dependent on him for this.

Mutator started playing the game all the way back in 1994, and was my personal local deathmatch training partner for a good ten years. I learnt all I knew about editing the game from sitting next to him during countless of hours in the mid nintees, using some very basic tools from that time. He developed his style into a unique blend of detail, realisem and innovative light level effects, toppled by always going for absolute perfection in whatever he did. I belive he was a notch above just about any mapper when it came to this.

His ultimate masterpiece was yet to come however, and it pains me to realize it will never see the light of day in its finalized form. For years he was working on/off on a huge city-styled map for zdoom - a creation I'm sure would have made a lasting impact on the doom mapping scene had he been able to complete it. It was shaping up to be nothing short of spectacular.

He was a very unique individual, often missunderstood and involuntarily distanced from other people because of his way of communicating and expressing himself. If you gained his trust and deciphered the code however, you had a friend for life. He had a rough ride from time to time through his way too short lifetime. I was planning to share memmories along the way with him as we grew older, now I have to settle for the times gone by.

This was way too early, with alot of unfinished business ahead, and I'm at a loss for words to say how much that pains me. I hope you feel nothing but closure and peace, wherever you are now, old friend.

Alien vendetta
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=11790

A playthrough of his AV masterpiece by Vincent Catalaa:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXvFZ2w95nY

Bahdkos player profile
http://www.doom2.net/bahdko/mutator2.html

Damn...

Kim, if there are divine beings of any sort out there, I'm sure they will ask you along with Espi and Toke to design maps of the universe.

RIP

sorry for your loss, anders, and ours as a community.

RIP

Just finished playing the legendary Egyptian map a while ago too. Damn.

Damn, another one. Who's going to be the third to go this month? :(

RIP bro

RIP

Very sad news; his AV levels were some of best looking Doom maps I've ever played.

Wow this is very sad news, indeed.
I haven't played much AV, but I will do so tomorrow in his honor.
This is very unfortunate, and too young. And indeed sorry for your loss.

As pure a mapping talent as there ever was. Map10 and Map20 of AV are masterpieces which have both inspired me in different ways. I can only dream of lighting a map as perfectly as he was able to.

RIP, bon voyage.

this is so awful. i can honestly say that Kim Malde was one of, if not *the* biggest mapping inspiration for me. AV11 and 20 to this day still amaze me.

RIP bud

May he rest in piece, map20 of AV will probably be one of the most memorable doom levels for all time. Such a great talent for creating stunning maps.

Kim is one of the nicest people I've had the liberty of getting to know. Not even nearly as close as Anders did, but I did speak to him on more than several occasions back when I used to basically live in #nightmare a decade ago. He was an amazing individual, and it's a huge loss to the community, especially at his age. When Anders told me about this on Facebook, I was floored. It was like someone punched me in the kidney and left me there. He was a good person, and an amazing mapper.

Rest in peace, Kim.

This is so sad. I've met Kim several times, we didn't live that far away from eachother before i went off to college. We lanned at Andy's place several times.

Not only were you a great mapper, better than me, you were also a better player, and a guy I had a lot of respect for.

We both share the same first name, and even though it doesn't really matter, there's a bit of kinship, one Kim to another Kim.

This was way too early, you had a lot of unfulfilled potential.

Personally I don't believe in any life after death or reincarnation, Kim is not here any more. However, his legacy, the memories, they will live on. As long as a person is remembered, he is in a way, alive. He has left his mark on this world, this universe, and for that I am eternally grateful. He was a really nice guy. This universe, as a whole, is slightly worse off, without Kim.

I never knew this guy personally, but I absolutely loved Alien Vendetta's design.

The WADs design and sheer amount of detail is ultimately what got me recently trying my hand at mapping. RIP, Sir. You were a great inspiration.

Oh, dear, another great mapper has died. Kim Malde has made some of the finest maps for Alien Vendetta, with Map20 being his grandest work. To pay tribute to Kim Malde, I'm gonna fire up Alien Vendetta, as it is one of my favourite megawads right next to HR, Eternal Doom, and the unofficial Plutonia sequels. Kim Malde is a credit to the Doom community, and stands as one of the key figures behind the evolution of Doom mapping. RIP Kim Malde.

Never knew him personally (or any other Doomer either) but I agree with AV being awesome. RIP

I only knew him through his maps which were a pleasure and inspiration to play. Thanks Kim, rest in peace.

Sigh.

I've known about what happened since the middle of the week or so, been chatting with Anders off and on. News travels fast through the grapevine you could say. Talk about suck.

When these people go, they aren't just avatars who disappear from the 'net. Arg. What the hell can one really write, sometimes?

Anders - - something I didn't mention before but I'll mention it here (ya, where everyone can see it). You know the huge city-type zdoom map Mutator was working on? I bet he would prefer, if/when you feel like you are up for it, for you to finish it up for him and send it out. I'm certain he would choose none other than you for such a circumstance. But don't torture yourself with the thought if it feels too hard right now. Just consider it for sometime in the future.

This is unbelievable sad news. While I didn`t know him personally, he was without doubt my greatest inspiration when it comes to mapping for Doom.

Hvil i fred, Kim.

My condolences to everyone who knew him, especially to Anders, who must have played more deathmatches with the guy than can be counted with three-digit numbers. I met Kim in 2000 at the Stavanger lanparty ("Norlan"), where he was on a good SG roll that made him downright pesky in his strongest map1 performances.

However, as many have pointed out, Kim's exceptional talent was artistic and creative rather than cyberathletic. AV20 "Misri Halek" must be in the top 3 of the most legendary single-player Doom maps of all time, not to mention Kim's other brilliant contributions, such as the maps 11 "Castle Gardens" and 23 "Blood Sacrifice", to what just might be the best vanilla doom megawad seen to date.

I second Bahdko's opinion that the mega map Kim was working on ought to be made available to the public in some form, at some juncture, so that people would also get a glimpse of what Kim was capable of when there were fewer engine limitations restricting his artistic genius.

May you have more peace and happiness wherever you reside now, than you did in your shortened stay on this plane of existence.

Shocking, horrible news. Can't believe it's true.

It was great to meet you in Hundvåg back in July 2001.

Rest in peace.