Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

40oz said:

The color choices are always a little cooler with every update :)

We listen and do our best! :)

schwerpunk said:

Looks really good. I'm tempted to get this just to play around with the editor. :)

Hope you do! We're doing a giveaway to the first person who's able to make a map that ends up being featured through Wrack's "Featured Map" feature. We've also got some tutorials up to help you get started. This one should give you an idea of how the editor works. It's pretty painless once you get the hang of it, which some are starting to do.

By the way, for anyone who thought that E1M2/3 were too dark, we're working on making them look a lot more vibrant. We've just started, but there's already a huge amount of difference. Here's a nice before/after shot:

Hmm. I was thinking about buying Wrack but the wording on the site is throwing me off; "Save 33% on the first episode!" -- Does that mean the other episodes won't be added on for free or what?

Nice to see some new HUD graphics! Honestly I was sorta getting sick of the old ones. They didn't seem to fit with the overall graphic presentation very well.

chungy said:

Hmm. I was thinking about buying Wrack but the wording on the site is throwing me off; "Save 33% on the first episode!" -- Does that mean the other episodes won't be added on for free or what?

Well, you're just pre-ordering the first episode. It's looking like the other two will be strictly DLC at this point - if they even get made at all. I really want to do the other episodes, so I hope there's enough demand for us to be able to do them.

Mechadon: Me too! I can't wait for this new HUD to be done.

I see. i don't really like the idea that I'm potentially not buying the full game. How much do you expect the other episodes to cost if you make them?

Just about the updates... isn't having to download 250+ MB again a bit much for an update of one map and some other fixes? Or is there another way to update that I'm not seeing, because the update link just takes me to the download page to download everything again. I'd prefer to wait until it's all finished instead of downloading the whole thing each time a map is finished.

Carnevil said:

Hope you do! We're doing a giveaway to the first person who's able to make a map that ends up being featured through Wrack's "Featured Map" feature. We've also got some tutorials up to help you get started. This one should give you an idea of how the editor works. It's pretty painless once you get the hang of it, which some are starting to do.

Yeah, I've still got to get around to doing an art pass on my map. I think it could make it if I get it looking a little better.

chungy said:

I see. i don't really like the idea that I'm potentially not buying the full game. How much do you expect the other episodes to cost if you make them?

Do you normally buy games with the DLC included? I wasn't under the impression that things normally work that way. And maybe $10 each or so. We'll see.

glenzinho: It's up to you if you whether or not you want to download the updates. They're there if you want them. No one's holding a gun to your head forcing you to update :) You can download updates whenever you think it's worth it to you.

Carnevil said:

Do you normally buy games with the DLC included? I wasn't under the impression that things normally work that way.

I guess it wasn't really clear to me; it seemed like the episodes are supposed to be the full combined experience. I certainly would have hated it if I had to pay separately for each Doom or Quake episode.

... that being said, some RL things have come up that potentially take away my entertainment budget. I'll still probably buy Wrack (E1) if I can afford to.

While I'd love to play this game, the lack of assurance as to possible future content and the official price range are hindering me in making a decision.

Quick question Carn, as to the basic meat and potatoes; how many weapons and enemies are there currently?

chungy said:

I guess it wasn't really clear to me; it seemed like the episodes are supposed to be the full combined experience. I certainly would have hated it if I had to pay separately for each Doom or Quake episode.

... that being said, some RL things have come up that potentially take away my entertainment budget. I'll still probably buy Wrack (E1) if I can afford to.

id Software had a much bigger budget and much more of a staff than we do. Plus, I think Wrack requires a lot more resources as far as textures go. We're really changing up both the environment and gameplay every couple levels or so, so developing more content is no small task. For all intents and purposes, the first episode is the whole game. Think of it as being like "Serious Sam: The First Encounter" or something.

Platinum Shell: It's pretty much that we'll do the other episodes if people want them. I think (and hope) we'll be able to.

Also, there are four weapons, and a multitude of monsters and variations. It's pretty easy to mod up new ones, too :)

So are you going to get Wrack on any digital distribution platforms? Having it on any of the bigger ones would help a great deal in having more exposure simply because then people could find the game.

I would buy it...but! Like Devon on the Wrack forums, my Intel Graphics Card can't support Wrack. I'll buy it when I upgrade though :)

Jodwin said:

So are you going to get Wrack on any digital distribution platforms? Having it on any of the bigger ones would help a great deal in having more exposure simply because then people could find the game.

Certainly we'll be submitting to Steam Greenlight once that becomes available, but I have been looking at others. I've been taking a good look at Desura because it seems like it's a great fit and does all the things we need it to. It's very friendly towards alphas, which is something that I don't think is true with most other distribution platforms.

Really I'm just trying to figure out... is there any reason NOT to try to get onto Desura at this time?

Small marketshare/exposure would be a reason not to use Desura exclusively, otherwise no.

If you can get on Desura, GamersGate, Direct2Drive, and GOG in addition to Steam, then you have no reason not to. The more virtual shop windows you get it, the more sales you'll do.

If there were any constraint for exclusivity and you can be on only one, then you should go with the biggest and that is Steam; but since there aren't...

Certainly. I just wasn't sure if there were any sort of stigmas attached to being on one of the other services or anything, or if there were any sort of horror stories. You never know.

GOG.com I've already tried, but Wrack pretty much needs to be finished first before it can be part of that service. It's part of what makes Desura so appealing at this stage of the game.

Okay, just wanted to bump this to let you all know that we just got done doing a whole bunch of work on the lighting, as well as the color in general! I'm using a lot more hard shadows (to give better contrast) and brighter more colorful lights. We also brightened and increased the saturation on the green/brown texture set. It's definitely looking much better IMO! I think we've finally got the E1M2/3 colors/brightness all straightened out! :)

Anyway, here are a few good examples:

What do you guys think?

Looks great. When I have a few bucks when it's "officially" released (and not just the preorder whatever thing) I can't wait to get this and play around with mapping.

Don't tell me that, it means money for you if I buy it full price! Also, I've been out of a job for months so I don't have the money anyway. ;P

Nomad said:

Don't tell me that, it means money for you if I buy it full price!

Maybe, maybe not. Services like Steam take a cut, and depending what that cut is, we might make less per copy than we do now - even though it's currently 33% off.

Anyway, if it's too much right now, just wait a few days - there MAAAAAAAAAAY be a sale during QuakeCon!

Very sweet. I like it a lot.

Do you plan on improving the model animations or are they just gonna stay as is? I thought the death animations were particularly corny for most enemies. Maybe it would do better if the corpses would explode or something. They're robots right? Not aliens?

40oz said:

Do you plan on improving the model animations or are they just gonna stay as is? I thought the death animations were particularly corny for most enemies. Maybe it would do better if the corpses would explode or something. They're robots right? Not aliens?

Well, of course. It's just a matter of finding a better animator. I'm going to try to get Wrack onto Desura here shortly, and one of the cool things about that is that their sister site is ModDB, which will be great for finding more help. We've gotten some through there in the past without me trying too hard, but with a much more established presence there, hopefully we can get some real quality help to improve a lot of portions of the game. Maybe we'll even find a dedicated level designer - who knows!

BTW, speaking of submitting it to Desura, one of the things that they and Steam want is a gameplay video of sorts. I'm thinking of submitting something like this - what do you guys think?

Maybe with a little less idling on menus and standing around. Unless that's what the game is about?

I don't think a developer commentary where there's no action in the first three or however many minutes is going to be any exciting for making first impressions. Drop the blah-blah, unleash the Bobby Prince goodness, and show a montage of crazy gameplay, something like Quake Done Quick, but less extreme so as not too seem too hard.