Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scripten

[Released!]Primary: Gold

A few years ago, I made my (only) Doom map. It was pretty big, but not all that good. I've spent a lot of time working on my mapping skills and decided to remake it. So far the map is about 40-50% done, and has a clock time of roughly 20 minutes. (That's without any down time, btw. Very little time is spent *not* fighting.) So at this point I'm spending more time testing the level for balance than I am mapping for it. As you might guess, that's not a very good thing. So I'm on the lookout for anyone who might be interesting in acting as a playtester.

Oh, and some screenshots for you guys:

In the drop pod...
Which crashes into a parking garage
Some storage nearby (Don't worry, no crate mazes)
A coastal cliffside
More cliffs
And even more cliffs!
One of the entrances to the treatment plant
Inside the treatment plant
The sewers in the plant
Small cave system
Right inside the power plant
Power plant hallway
Some neat stairs
The mini-boss just before leaving the power plant
Crater outside the plant
Forest pond

If at all interested, shoot me a pm and I'll send you the map to test.

Gives a nice "early ZDoom mod" vibe, like Doom Resurrection or the Zort/KZDoom/etc. series. :)

Gez said:

Gives a nice "early ZDoom mod" vibe, like Doom Resurrection or the Zort/KZDoom/etc. series. :)

Haha. That's exactly the sort of style I was shooting for.

I remember playtesting the original versino of this - was a pretty cool early GZDoom map IIRC.

Added a new area and a fairly tough boss fight. I'm considering releasing what I've got so far as a public demo, since it's a fairly complete experience. Maybe I'll just split what I was thinking of making into two. What do you guys think? Should I keep going with the map and make it super long, or split it up into pieces?

Oh, speaking of new areas, here's a screenie:

The corrupted lake

Membrain said:

Added a new area and a fairly tough boss fight. I'm considering releasing what I've got so far as a public demo, since it's a fairly complete experience. Maybe I'll just split what I was thinking of making into two. What do you guys think? Should I keep going with the map and make it super long, or split it up into pieces?

Oh, speaking of new areas, here's a screenie:

The corrupted lake

Maybe when the project is finished, you could release it as one map. In the meantime, though, you could release the completed section as a demo. The screenshots look great, btw.

Super special secret area added, bringing completion of the map up to around 90%. Working on a titlepic and the final boss fight. I should be done with this in a month or less. [/hype machine]

So, now that it's been less than a month[/Valve time], I present to the Doomworld community Primary: Gold RC1! It's fully completed from start to finish.

I'll leave this here for a bit before I move on to submitting to idGames. Have at it and have fun!

Primary Gold RC1

This is now my favorite single map wad.

Please, please consider adding more levels to this!

Just a small wad would even do fine, like the same number of levels as HellGround or even Epic 1

Anyway, very thoroughly enjoyed it, as you can tell. For only being one level, it sure felt epic in scope, with a great finale! That was fun!

Thanks for the great level!

Great map, definitely better than the other one you made! Didn't die a single time although I came close at a couple of parts.
The autosaves were a nice touch, along with the jumping requirement at some parts. Nearly ran out of ammo after the spiderdemon fight, but I managed to get back on my feet.

Anyhow, a couple of bugs I spotted:

http://i.imgur.com/UadDpeN.jpg
Found a HOM while going behind something that could've been a secret, but is actually an empty sector that can be reached while I'm probably not supposed to get there.

http://i.imgur.com/p6l1urT.png
This Arachnotron is stuck in the stalagmite.

Other than that, this was a top-notch map that should take around 15-20 mins to complete. Great work!

Awesome! Thanks for the bug reports and comments, guys. Made my day, and got me a few bugs fixed. Great stuff. :D

Should be all set for Idgames within a few days if all goes well. As for making another long map like this... dang, I don't even know. This one took me way too long as it is, and I'm thinking of trying some different mapping styles. Nevertheless, I really appreciate the sentiment!

EDIT: And it's up! Now it's just awaiting approval. About time, too.