Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Custom textures issue

I've been using gothictx.wad in my map for weeks. Everything's been fine, but suddenly SW1BLUE reverted back to the way it looks in the normal Doom 2 texture set. When I look it up in the textures list, it's there as the modified texture, but in Doom Builder and in the game it's the original. Anyone know what I can do?

Well, there is a switch texture in gothictx.wad, which for some reason is named SW1BLUE. It definitely wasn't before. I don't know why this happened or how to change it back.

Okay, I open gothictx.wad with Slade3. I should have done that before.
There is a texture SW1BLUE which is made up from a single patch ADEL_Z50, which is definitely different from the DOOM2 texture SW1BLUE.

What is the order in which your resources are shown in Doombuilder2?
Is it, which would be correct
DOOM2.WAD
GOTHICTX.WAD

or is it, which would be incorrect
GOTHICTX.WAD
DOOM2.WAD

Remember that the file loaded last will overwrite the first.

It is in the first (correct) order. For some reason the original SW1BLUE from Doom 2 is still showing up instead of the gothic one.

I am tired of having to guess what the possible cause of your problem could be.
Before giving any further help I would have to be able to inspect your map.

GoatLord said:

Everything's been fine, but suddenly SW1BLUE reverted back to the way it looks in the normal Doom 2 texture set.

I take it this problem arose about the same time as the wrap-around sky issue was solved, so we're probably back to looking at PNAMES and TEXTURE1. I agree with Kappes Buur, being able to see the problem would help.

I see the problem. Your wad's using the base Doom 2 PNAMES and TEXTURE1 lumps, which replaces the corresponding lumps in GOTHICTX.WAD and basically takes you back to the standard texture set plus whatever changes you've made.

You have a few options, if you're planning to use many GOTHICTX.WAD textures you might as well import its PNAMES and TEXTURE1 lumps and add your custom textures to them, otherwise I'd just import the individual textures. With single-patch IWAD texture replacements you can get away with importing patches and (if necessary) renaming them to replace the IWAD patches, that approach has the advantage of requiring no changes to the PNAMES and TEXTURE* lumps.

Since you're currently using just a handful of GOTHICTX.WAD textures, I'd be inclined to import them and modify the SW1BLUE/SW2BLUE texture definitions.

I'll try re-phrasing. If that doesn't help whack me with a DEHACKED lump, but not too hard, I make even less sense when concussed.

The TEXTURE1 lump in sadistic.wad is at the heart of the problem, being the last texture lump loaded means it overrides textures defined by GOTHICTX.WAD, and in this case that includes changing SW1BLUE back to the standard Doom2 texture. Easiest way to fix that is to import the ADEL_Z50 (for SW1BLUE) and ADEL_Z51 (for SW2BLUE) patches into sadistic.wad, add them to PNAMES (which Slade refers to as the "Patch Table") then edit the SW1BLUE and SW2BLUE texture entries to use those patches.

I appreciate the help but I still have not figured out how to do whatever it is you're suggesting. I keep reading the post and cannot seem to make sense of it.

There are the resources of three TEXTURE1 lumps involved, the base resource
from DOOM2, which is copied in the TEXTURE1 lump in sarcastic.wad alongside
the new sky texture, and the TEXTURE1 lump in gothictx.wad.

When you use this
gzdoom.exe -file sadistic.wad GOTHICTX.WAD
then the sky is the default texture and the switch is the gothic texture

When you use this
gzdoom.exe -file GOTHICTX.WAD sadistic.wad
then the sky is the new texture and the switch is the default texture

So, you can see that the load order affects how the textures are displayed,
and the problem becomes a matter of dealing with the TEXTURE1 lumps.

If you only use 1 to a few images from gothictx.wad, then use GreyGhost's suggestion,
import those images and include them in the patch table and modify the SW1BLUE and
SW2BLUE textures to reflect the patches you want to use. Then TEXTURE1 wil hold the
base resources and the new resources.
Then there is no need to load gothictx.wad.

If you decide to use most or all of the gothictx.wad textures then import all images, right
after your sky textures but still in between the P_ markers. These images are now
considered patches. Delete the TEXTURE1 and PNAMES lumps. Highlight all patches and
create a new patch table with the base resources included. Modify the SW1BLUE, SW2BLUE
and SKY1 texture, or any other new texture, to reflect the patches you want to use.
And while you are at it, import also the flats if you want to use them.
Then there is definitely no need to load gothictx.wad.

And, of course, when using textures not of your making, give credit to the originators.

Yeah, I'd really like to just combine the ones I'm using into a single wad because only a few of them are being used. I'm still having trouble understanding what you're suggesting I do but I'm going to try to do it.

EDIT: Sigh. I'm not really understanding the instructions.

The problem you are facing is that each of the pwads you are using has a TEXTURE1 and PNAMES lump.

Therefore the load order becomes important. Remember, a later loaded pwad with a TEXTURE1 lump overwrites the TEXTURE1 lump of an already loaded pwad, or any same named lump.

So, what I would suggest is to delete TEXTURE1 and PNAMES in your pwad, sadistic.wad.
Then copy/paste the textures you want from gothic_tx.wad into your pwad, between the P_ markers.
Then create a new TEXTURE1 lump in your pwad. See http://slade-editor.wikia.com/wiki/How_to_import_textures how to do this.

As you already know, SW1BLUE is one of those same named lumps. Therefore, that texture and maybe others, need to be edited, in the TEXTURE1 editor, to reflect the patches you want to use.

[edit]
this post has become moot.
see my new post below.

Followed the instructions exactly as stated several times and the textures simply do not appear in the editor. All but one of them appears in the game. This missing texture is represented as an unknown entity in Slade 3. I'm very confused.

Let's see if we can't get this done.

Just to differentiate them, I renamed your original sadistic.wad to sadistic_org.wad.

Starting GZDoom with this command line
gzdoom.exe -file sadistic_org.wad +logfile startup.txt
generates this file startup.txt, listing missing textures and where they are used.

The textures
ADEL_F12
ADEL_C03
ADEL_S04
ADEL_D13
ADEL_W53
come from gothictx.wad

These two
NFMTSH00
IKWDW2
I don't know where they come from

Anyways, your first step would be to import the above mentioned textures from gothictx.wad
into the pwad sadistic_org.wad as Patches and place them between the P_ markers.

ADEL_F12 is a floor texture and goes between F_START and F_END.

But we also know, that SW1BLUE and SW2BLUE use a different patch than the original DOOM2.
So, we must also import ADEL_Z50 and ADEL_Z51.

Once that is done, rightclick on each imported patch and Add to TEXTUREx.

Save the map.

Now click on TEXTURE1 and click on Edit Textures.
Scroll to SW1BLUE.
..... but wait. A video is better.

Now, import the two still missing textures.
NFMTSH00 to be added between the F_ markers,
IKWDW2 to be added between P_ markers and added to TEXTURE1.

Doing the above, there is no need to also run gothictx.wad. But, if you publish your pwad, include
credit for the textures in the accompanying text file.

sadistic_org.wad runs fine with GZDoom, but of course the missing textures will show up as checkerboards.

I'll try to do this soon. The instructions are a bit overwhelming at the moment. I'm feeling a bit discouraged, because I don't know how to expect to contribute to the Doom community if the simplest editing operations seem to continually confound me.

GoatLord said:

.... I'm feeling a bit discouraged, because I don't know how to expect to contribute to the Doom community if the simplest editing operations seem to continually confound me.

What's that all about ?

Mapping is just a hobby you do for your own enjoyment. Nobody is expecting anything and there certainly is no obligation to contribute implied.

Although mapping for DOOM is not as involved as making maps for a full-blown 3D engine, it nevertheless presents a certain challenge. If you have questions, I or somebody else will jump in and try to answers them. Everybody has started out slow and easy with the mapping process, and, with a map like this, you obviously have a talent for mapping.

ALthough todays tools make the process somewhat easier than 10 years ago, it takes time to absorb it all. Heck, even I don't know everything and have to constantly consult the WIKI and the internet for answers.

So, if you want to construct maps, take it easy. Read a lot and experiment. The worst that can happen is that you screw up a map and that can be easily erased.

Just have fun.

GoatLord said:

I'm feeling a bit discouraged, because I don't know how to expect to contribute to the Doom community if the simplest editing operations seem to continually confound me.

You're not the only one here who's run into a resource management brick wall, don't let it get you down. You might find ZDoom's PK3 format easier to work with while mapping and leave the wad editing for later, or find some sucker who'll do that for you. ;-)

Still haven't quite figured it out. I'm not sure why this is proving to be so difficult. There's some contradictions between what was stated and what I'm pulling up in WXE. Not sure where to go from here.

GoatLord said:

There's some contradictions between what was stated and what I'm pulling up in WXE.

Such as? Don't force me to break out the Ouija board.

Here's what I did.
This is an utter cheat but it does work providing you are only using the textures from one custom texture wad, in my case cc4-tex.wad

Using DoomBuilder2 you have an option to 'Save into' - I saved my map into the cc4-tex.wad and I now have all the custom textures directly in my wad. I would strongly recommend backing up and files before you do this. Note, you can only do this once, so don't try and use this method to merge several texture wads together as it won't work (I was amazed it worked anyway tbh!).

It is a cheat, but I am frankly a little wary of messing around with patches and stuff myself. I want to learn more before I start.

While this a solution it isn't good practice.

Dave

I have reached a level of desperation where I can no longer bear the stress of trying to understand this particular aspect of "Doom" editing. I will literally PayPal anyone on this forum $20 if they'll just correct the map for me. I'm completely serious.

It's still the issue of SW1BLUE not looking as it should? Feel free to PM the wad (if you have a newer version than the one on mediafire a few posts above).

Yes, it is still that issue, as well as the music being fucked up, but I think I can correct that. I would rather pay someone to fix it than try to do it myself because the stress factor is too high. Any takers?